Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

backdoorhippie
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

A couple things for me. First, I still can't get the LF firmware to show after entering fine tuning for a lens. Second, I wish Nikon would state clearly that the .bat file has to be on your primary card selection on the D500 (if you put it on the SD card with the XQD as your primary it won't find it).

The first concerns me, particularly given the problems I've been having regarding rear screen timeouts (documented elsewhere). Perhaps there's something buggered somewhere that's the cause of both? Gotta call Nikon, but I need this camera next weekend and am not about to send if off next week.

Jun 11, 2016 at 06:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

let me see:
1- its a .bin file not .bat not a batch file that runs. simple binary (code image) that the camera is set to look for when in the firmware version of the setup menu

2- if you have you XQD slot setup as primary that's where ists going to look. no its not smart enough to look elsewhere in this mode. its always been that way on dual slotted cameras. if you want the SD card to be the primary just swap it in the menu.

3- as far as the fine tuning are you using the automated method?

Jun 11, 2016 at 07:15 AM
blutch
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

Can someone tell me in the manual where you find auto lens fine tuning? I've looked under "fine," "lens," and "auto." No dice. Thanks

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:34 AM
RoyC
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/auto_af_fine-tuning/

The above is not the manual but is the best description I have seen from Nikon. This is the same for both D5 and D500.

Jun 11, 2016 at 01:26 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

ALWAYS us an old, slow card you don't use anymore. Nikon did an update recently that bricked a lot of high end cards. Left the old slow ones perfectly usable. (If you don't mind old and slow)

Jun 11, 2016 at 01:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

runamuck wrote:
ALWAYS us an old, slow card you don't use anymore. Nikon did an update recently that bricked a lot of high end cards. Left the old slow ones perfectly usable. (If you don't mind old and slow)

could you go into some detail on this? I must have missed it. how recent was it? and what is the rationale behind the slow card. it delivers the same data only slower that would "brick" the higher end cards referenced to. that is how I would see it.

oh, I used a Lexar 2966x XQD card to load it. it is the device (aka: camera) itself that negotiates the actual speed of the information transfer not the card. the card can be capable of being syphoned off at up to its rated read speed.

Jun 11, 2016 at 01:55 PM
backdoorhippie
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

sjms wrote:
let me see:
1- its a .bin file not .bat not a batch file that runs. simple binary (code image) that the camera is set to look for when in the firmware version of the setup menu

2- if you have you XQD slot setup as primary that's where ists going to look. no its not smart enough to look elsewhere in this mode. its always been that way on dual slotted cameras. if you want the SD card to be the primary just swap it in the menu.

3- as far as the fine tuning are you using the automated method?

bin/bat, blah-blah, you knew what I was talking about.

No, I'm not using the automated mode, I'm simply making an adjustment to/instantiating a stored value as was recommended as a method to get it to at least show me something in the Firmware version display. Still nothing.

Jun 11, 2016 at 03:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

yeah, but you know........

i'm thinking its where that automated setup resides in background and when used (which is really poorly documented) may actually show up.

http://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d500_tips/af/auto_af_fine-tuning/

did you send your 01 batteries back?

Jun 11, 2016 at 03:23 PM
marc2307
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

Chris Dees wrote:
Same for me.

+1

I have the latest firmware and with my 80-400 AF-S Auto AFFT done in camera, LF still does not show up in the firmware window either?

FWIW:

My D5 shows only C & LD, with LF absent.

Jun 12, 2016 at 05:12 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

No LF is showing up for me either. I know it is ther prior to the upgrade , strange

Birdie

Jun 12, 2016 at 08:41 AM
GlenGrambo

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

I think the lens firmware only shows up when you have a lens mounted that Nikon has issued a firmware upgrade for . Like the 200-500

Glen

Jun 12, 2016 at 07:48 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

GlenGrambo wrote:
I think the lens firmware only shows up when you have a lens mounted that Nikon has issued a firmware upgrade for . Like the 200-500

Glen

Thank you so much for solving that mystery !

I just put the 200-500 on, it now shows up . It does not show up with the 300 f/4 PF .

Thanks
Birdie

Jun 12, 2016 at 07:54 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

GlenGrambo wrote:

Glen

Oh, that the only lens that shows the LF on my D500. Guess Ineed to send my lens in.

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:33 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

sjms wrote:
could you go into some detail on this? I must have missed it. how recent was it? and what is the rationale behind the slow card. it delivers the same data only slower that would "brick" the higher end cards referenced to. that is how I would see it.

oh, I used a Lexar 2966x XQD card to load it. it is the device (aka: camera) itself that negotiates the actual speed of the information transfer not the card. the card can be capable of being syphoned off at up to its rated read speed.

I can't remember when, and paid only minor attention because it did not affect me. It may have been as long as 3 years because at my age time goes by very quickly. High end cards from some manufacturer were affected. IIRC it was a problem with the card specific with the card maker, but it may have been the camera's fauilot.. I am dredging this up; from Foggy Bottom so it may have been even longer. Sorry I can't be more help.

Jun 26, 2016 at 07:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Has anyone applied the D500 Firmware upgrade?

excuse me, it was their 2933x card. oops.

Jun 26, 2016 at 07:35 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.