New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

chrisgibbs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

I used to have the EyeAF on the A7Rll's AEL, problem I kept running into were those situations (backlit) where the FaceDetect bounding box was acting all schizophrenic, and I was constantly moving the switch, but having said that, on the A7Rll with the new GM lens button set to EyeAF it's not really an issue. On the RX1Rll I wonder how much I'll actually use EyeAF anyway.

Yes, Sony need to standardize the ergonomics here, like that A6300 with no pinky dial for the IRIS, WTF!!!

Jun 13, 2016 at 07:33 AM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

Guy et al.

Take a look at the link below, just got a packet from Hobbylobby for $2.99. The smallest size is a perfect fit for the AEL button on the RX1Rll. ~Chris

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Scrapbook-Paper-Crafts/Embellishments/Pearls-Rhinestones/Black,-White-&-Gray-Enamel-Dot-Stickers/p/151248

Jun 13, 2016 at 01:38 PM
fishjump
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

Chris:

Michael's also carries them.

Jun 13, 2016 at 03:05 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

This is getting complicated!

If I understand correctly it is possible to back-button focus (with button of choice) when the camera is in MF. Is that correct?

If so, what is the AF like with the back button in MF mode? Is it as fast as focusing with the shutter release in AF mode, is it just as convenient or are there any relevant differences?

Jun 13, 2016 at 03:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

Everything is basically the same it's more a preference to use rhe back button. Problem is EYE AF we need that switch that's on the A7rII to have a switch for EYE AF and the back focus button is more useful. I would rather have rear focus button but not willing to give up Eye AF . Basically we are short one switch to really make this work like a A7rII so given that one might be better off with the shutter. That's what I am doing now.

My silver buttons came and it really helps with the tactile feel of the camera. I mean without them I might have sold this already . I'll take a shot of the camera sometime today and post

Jun 15, 2016 at 08:49 AM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

The Sony loaner went back today, but my personal copy arrives from B&H tomorrow.

Agreed about the button issue, all three model ranges are out-of-sync with each other, we need some standardization here. We also need some "citizen representatives" (Artisans) who're willing to speak-up on these issues, too many of them are like the proverbial "three monkeys" see no evil.......... I don't want Sony to go the way of Kodak, we need to speak out loudly when we encounter "common-sense issues" like these! Sony are getting so very close on a great little multi-media platform IMO, especially with the A7Rll. ~Chris

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

wolfloid wrote:
This is getting complicated!

If I understand correctly it is possible to back-button focus (with button of choice) when the camera is in MF. Is that correct?

If so, what is the AF like with the back button in MF mode? Is it as fast as focusing with the shutter release in AF mode, is it just as convenient or are there any relevant differences?

EXACTLY, it's complicated, and we all have different shooting requirements/complications! And that's one of my irks with these fly-by-night reviewers who have this kit for a weekend and cannot figure out what day it is, never mind this somewhat convoluted UI. ~Chris

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM
jlabate
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

I have an a6000, a7RII and RX1RII and initially set them all up with BBF. But recently my preferred autofocus has become AFC with Lock-on/Flexible Spot. That works fine with the BBF on the a6000 and a7RII but not the RX1RII. To use BBF on the RX1 you need to set the front dial to MF and that takes away the Lock-on options. To have AF setup consistency with the three cameras the only way I know to do it is to put the auto focus back to the half press shutter. Anyone know how to set up the RX1 to work with BBF and AFC Lock-on?

PS - I use small clear plastic bumpers (to stick on the bottoms of things you don't want scratching stuff) from a hardware store over the assigned BBF buttons like the AE button on the RX1. They are the perfect diameter, are stick-on and are really inexpensive for a pad of them.

Sep 27, 2017 at 08:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.