New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

wolfloid
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

Can someone definitively clear up whether it is at all possible to dedicate the rear AEL button to back-button focus.

Jun 08, 2016 at 04:26 PM
danslides
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

There's no way to do it, as far as I know. The settings on the a7rii are not on the rx1rii.

There's no option to turn off AF on shutter.
There's no option to map AF on to a custom button.

Jun 08, 2016 at 05:57 PM
shelt
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

I don't have an RX1, but IIRC you can set the AEL button to "AF/MF Control Hold." When the front switch is set to MF, the button becomes an AF button. The shutter button remains in MF mode so it doesn't activate focus. At least that's how I think it works!

Jun 08, 2016 at 06:56 PM
sidd
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

shelt wrote:
I don't have an RX1, but IIRC you can set the AEL button to "AF/MF Control Hold." When the front switch is set to MF, the button becomes an AF button. The shutter button remains in MF mode so it doesn't activate focus. At least that's how I think it works!

Yes - that how it works. Only caveat being, since the camera is always in MF mode, quickly activating eye-af becomes almost impossible

Jun 08, 2016 at 07:59 PM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

I don't have an RX1, but IIRC

I'm not familiar with the IIRC abbreviation. Is this the A7rII?

Jun 09, 2016 at 04:33 AM
wolfloid
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

There's no way to do it, as far as I know. The settings on the a7rii are not on the rx1rii. There's no option to turn off AF on shutter. There's no option to map AF on to a custom button.

Thanks for that very clear response.

Jun 09, 2016 at 04:34 AM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

wolfloid wrote:
I'm not familiar with the IIRC abbreviation. Is this the A7rII?

Stands for "If I Recall Correctly"

Jun 09, 2016 at 05:11 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

I just got one yesterday but I set mine up using DMF mode. I can hit my C1 button and get my focus magnify and focus manuall plus my peaking is on. Than I can hit half press on shutter and it will AF in AFS mode automatically. Now if I hit the AEL button I have Eye AF there but I have no way to get it to AFC unless I turn the front dial. I wish EYE AF automatically was a AFC function only in the firmware so I don't have to do it manually. That would be a perfect firmware upgrade. So Eye AF when engaged it is in AFC mode only. Now we just need Sony to make that firmware upgrade. Unless I'm missing something. Heading out this morning to test it, maybe I'll figure out a different way to do this but rear focus does not look like a option. We needed a extra custom function or AF /MF switch button and the same firmware as the A7rII. Honestly not sure why they did not do that. Being a A7rII owner as well we need across model functionality. I bought this for my 35 mm lens more than a run around toy on its own.

Jun 09, 2016 at 06:54 AM
m3photo

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

shelt and sidd are correct.
The front dial must be set to MF first and then the AEL button is set to focus. I recommend setting C1 to MF/AF toggle for quicker changes than the stiff dial.

Jun 12, 2016 at 03:01 PM
m3photo

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

The front dial must be set to MF first and then the AEL button is set to focus. I recommend setting C1 to MF/AF toggle for quicker changes than the stiff dial.

Jun 12, 2016 at 03:01 PM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

m3photo wrote:

That's actually very interesting for video too. For EyeAF simply go back one of the AF settings, you could put AF/MF Toggle on C2 as most of us have C1 allocated to focus magnify (from the A7Rll). Thanks ~Chris

EDIT: I think, for me anyway, there has to be a little cross-body similarity here with these settings. I'm running an A7Rll for stills/video(75/25), RX10ll for stills/video(5/95) and the RX1Rll for stills/video(95/5). It gets confusing really fast if these custom button settings aren't committed to muscle memory.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:03 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

So I would do AF/MF toggle on C2 myself . Keep c1 as magnify. AEL as back focus. So what's left for eye AF since your thumb now is on AEL.

Chris I lost you on Eye AF . Okay grabbing camera now. What could use as a switch for EYE AF is what I'm wondering.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:12 PM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

GMPhotography wrote:
I just got one yesterday but I set mine up using DMF mode. I can hit my C1 button and get my focus magnify and focus manuall plus my peaking is on. Than I can hit half press on shutter and it will AF in AFS mode automatically. Now if I hit the AEL button I have Eye AF there but I have no way to get it to AFC unless I turn the front dial. I wish EYE AF automatically was a AFC function only in the firmware so I don't have to do it manually. That would be
...Show more

I'm starting to think the best way is to make the *most customizable* camera conform to the others, rather than the other way around.

I went out with the RX1Rll in DMF mode, after twenty minutes in, I was hitting the video button and thinking WTF's going on here, then it was straight back into AF-C mode.. Now if I could get used to running DMF mode on the A7Rll things may become a little easier......... It just takes one little setting to throw off you're workflow.

Edited on Jun 12, 2016 at 09:21 PM · View previous versions

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:19 PM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

GMPhotography wrote:
So I would do AF/MF toggle on C2 myself . Keep c1 as magnify. AEL as back focus. So what's left for eye AF since your thumb now is on AEL.

Chris I lost you on Eye AF . Okay grabbing camera now. What could use as a switch for EYE AF is what I'm wondering.

Center button on the wheel is my default EyeAF on all three cameras.

EDIT: I think C2 makes sense for the AF/MF Toggle. For me the *Trash Can* button is the EVF/MONITOR toggle, as I usually have the LCD OFF and rely on the EVF exclusively.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:20 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

Made the left wheel instead of Drive. I made it AF/MF toggle. That's nice.

I use center button as focus area. Hmm

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

I have C2 as focus area. So I'll try making center the Eye AF switch

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:27 PM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

GMPhotography wrote:
Made the left wheel instead of Drive. I made it AF/MF toggle. That's nice.

I use center button as focus area. Hmm

That could work for me too, I rarely change the drive mode, only use it for the 2 second timer, and that's fine in the Fn menu.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:34 PM
chrisgibbs
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

GMPhotography wrote:
I have C2 as focus area. So I'll try making center the Eye AF switch

For me Eye/AF is important and has to fall easily to my thumb, center button is easy to locate on all three bodies.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:36 PM
m3photo

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

GMPhotography wrote:
Being a A7rII owner as well we need across model functionality.

Ha ha. I have had an a6000 for so long before this one that I have the buttons matching that one! C1 for AF/MF toggle and the trash button for magnify.

Jun 13, 2016 at 06:16 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Back-button focusing with the RX1rII

Finally went with C1 as magnify. Left dial as AF /MF switch, very easy to do. . Center dial push is focus area, down dial is peaking level, right dial is ISO and C2 is now drive but I may change it. AEL is Eye AF like my A7rII. Leave camera dial in front to AFC than I can do MF or AFC with switch and when in AFC I can either do AF with shutter half press and hit AEL for Eye AF. As far as putting focus on back button it be great but I can't find a way that's comfortable to do EyE AF. So I'll stick with shutter for focus. We needed that switch like the A7rII has as I have it set for down switch for Eye AF. Sony screwed us here without that switch. I just put my buttons on from using Sugru as I can NOT operate this camera without bigger buttons. AEL and my thumb are unusable. I have silver stick on buttons coming.

So end of day Sony did all the buttons way to flush to camera. I'm not a kid with thin fingers , not sure WTF they where thinking and the missing switch was another vital missing part. Otherwise I love this camera so far but mentally you have to make the focusing dial change coming off your A7rII

Jun 13, 2016 at 07:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.