New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Morning soft light

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Morning soft light

You are probably getting tired of this scene, I go back to the same places every year attempting to get something new. The only way to do that is to try new compositions and/or find unusual light. Nothing too special about this one. I just need to go out at least once a week for a sunrise someplace, and this is one of the few in my neighborhood.

Like to hear your comments.

Mt Timpanogos from Mill Canyon Ridge.

Jun 08, 2016 at 01:54 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Morning soft light

Well, for me this would be a great image but I can understand that for you this might not be anything special as you have so many fantastic shots hanging on your wall already.

As for any technical nits, I don't see anything majorly wrong with it. I like your composition for what you had to play with. Having something interesting near the camera in the FG like a giant boulder would obviously make this a stronger image. Or maybe a ground level shot with a cluster of wild flowers perfectly focused near the front of the camera?

The gloomy overcast sky, for me at least, is what I don't really care for in this shot. I think what would improve the shot is if there were more dramatic storm clouds with textures and layers in them.

And of course a few lighting bolts, butterflies and rainbows wouldn't hurt either.
Funny how those things only happen (often) with other photog's isn't it.

Just a few of my hair brain thoughts.

Dave

Jun 09, 2016 at 08:08 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Morning soft light

Thanks for looking Dave. This was pre dawn and the sky was mostly cloudless. I can see the other side of this from my bedroom window and believe me, there can be dramatic sky's, but I just never catch them.

What caused me to show this was that I liked the hint of crepuscular rays in the sky.

I used to include a rock in this scene and was advised on this forum to avoid it.

Here is one from later, and another pointed to a more interesting sky, but less interesting part of the mountains.

Later in the sunrise.

Pointed south

Jun 09, 2016 at 10:17 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Morning soft light

Dang! I thought I was seeing a heavy overcast sky in the first shot. My eyes were seeing the crepuscular rays as slight shade differences in a massive cloud.

Your sunrise shot is definitely my choice out of this set. I like the aspens in your south image though and I wonder if there is some way you could compose a shot with the mountains in the BG with the Aspens up close? I love those Aspens, they're eye candy to me regardless of the season.

If I'm not mistaken, that mountain is towards the south correct? If so, have you considered a MW shot at this location? Of course you might have a ton of light pollution in that direction that I'm not aware of and if not, you've probably already shot that here I'm guessing.

Dave

Jun 09, 2016 at 11:31 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Morning soft light

lighthound wrote:
Dang! I thought I was seeing a heavy overcast sky in the first shot. My eyes were seeing the crepuscular rays as slight shade differences in a massive cloud.

Your sunrise shot is definitely my choice out of this set. I like the aspens in your south image though and I wonder if there is some way you could compose a shot with the mountains in the BG with the Aspens up close? I love those Aspens, they're eye candy to me regardless of the season.

If I'm not mistaken, that mountain is towards the south correct? If
...Show more

Hi Dave. Yes, I have shot the MW in that direction and posted it here last fall, there is a ton of light pollution from Provo.

I would love to get a 70mm shot of the first scene that tightened up on the aspen, and in fact I took one, but it cuts off the mountain. This is a broad mountain at this angle. Much better in the scene I posted last week which is form the north pointing south. Here I am on the east side pointing west.

tighter shot

Jun 09, 2016 at 11:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Morning soft light

Speaking of light pollution, have you ever looked at the DarkSiteFinder web site or similar sites?

I see the light pollution you have over there. It's that one tiny little blob you have to deal with out there. Everything east of Kansas is a joke over this way. You're a luck guy!

What I was thinking of with my hair-brain thought on the Aspen trees, with the mountains in the BG, was to maybe have a stand of aspens about 1 foot away from the camera off the the left or right of the frame with the mountain off in the distance. If that makes any sense. Basically get up close and personal to the trees.
Although it might be a little too hair-brained of an idea. But it looks pretty in my head!

Dave

Jun 09, 2016 at 02:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Morning soft light

Thanks for the idea, and in fact one I have had myself. This is a tricky place, as you can see, lots of slopes. as I get close to the trees, the trees start to block the view. I camped here last fall and wandered around. This is the end of the road and I have tried other places. It's very hard to get high enough to get above the foothills and get a clear view of Timpanogoes.

Timpanogoes is a nice mountain but it is not world class. In fact there are many better mountains in western America.

Jun 09, 2016 at 02:56 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Morning soft light

Yeah but those aren't outside your bedroom window and a 10 minute drive from you front door.

And don't forget, a world class image doesn't have to have a world class scene or object in it. It's the craftsman behind the glass that makes the difference.

I just wish I could practice what I preach.

Words and ideas are the easy part, making it happen is the hard part. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to find just the right location with all the key elements in the right place. I think this is one of those ideas you just carry around with you and always be on the lookout for wherever you go.

Dave

Jun 09, 2016 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.