Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

thebmrust
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

Who does remotes?

Do you use current glass or would you consider using an old FD mount adapted to a new body for remotes?

Inconvenient or quality issues?

Jun 08, 2016 at 04:39 AM
FaulknersFoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

I wouldn't see a problem with it, assuming everything works (read good adapter, like edmika) and it's a good lens. I use my broken 70-200 2.8 as a remote. It doesn't have autofocus so it's almost an FD lens.

Jun 08, 2016 at 08:44 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

Maybe I'm not understanding the question here.

You use the glass that fits the job. If the idea that placing a lens/body in a location is that worrisome, or, is going to cause a safety concern, don't do it at all.

Remote work (although common place) takes a little planning and placement for all of those reasons just stated. But if your worried about getting whacked by an object, possibly consider a different location/housing/angle for that shot.

I've only ever had a bit of concern over a 'netcam' shot in hockey. But as it turns out, the plexi took the beating, and the glass was fine.. Again, a lot of pre-planning.

Jun 08, 2016 at 12:17 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

Not a safety issue, it's more of a value/price observation.

I don't have any experience with older FD lenses (I was Nikon when I started my venture in photos then switched to Canon in the mid 90's).

I noticed there can be some great deals on old FD lenses. Especially the bigger tele's.

I think they would be a good value using older FD lenses in a remote situation where you set focus and tape it all down. (Versus a more expensive EF/EF-S lens and the auto focus isn't a factor).

And worrying about equipment getting whacked... can happen anywhere and that's always a consideration regardless of the expense of equipment.

Jun 08, 2016 at 06:31 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

thebmrust wrote:
Not a safety issue, it's more of a value/price observation.

I don't have any experience with older FD lenses (I was Nikon when I started my venture in photos then switched to Canon in the mid 90's).

I noticed there can be some great deals on old FD lenses. Especially the bigger tele's.

I think they would be a good value using older FD lenses in a remote situation where you set focus and tape it all down. (Versus a more expensive EF/EF-S lens and the auto focus isn't a factor).

And worrying about equipment getting whacked... can happen anywhere and that's always a
...Show more

sure if AF isn't needed. I think mirrorless has given new life to old FD lenses

Jun 12, 2016 at 03:50 PM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

Was in the first base pit yesterday when a foul ball screamed into the 3rd base pit and drilled the TV camera 1 ft. away from my remote rig - took it out, completely. Watched it happen, and really didn't know what happened until i got back over there. Broadcast had to shift to the booth. Scared me to death - but it raised the issue, as I naively thought it was the remotest (pun) of possibilities.

Looks like I need to find some other way to protect gear. I think I can lower this unit below the netting and will find a way to make that happen. But the idea of grabbing an old manual lens is a great one, just in case. tks.

Jun 13, 2016 at 09:00 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

Could also put a piece of clear Lexar in front of the camer setup. But you'll have to anchor it appropriately otherwise you have two objects hitting the camera.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:11 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Would you use FD lenses for remotes

You're never going to get the shots behind plexi. It's too dam fragile to carry and maintain. It scratches very easy. And the whole AF things is a little confusing. I don't think in 9 years of placing remotes, I've ever seen a remote set to focus. They always get set up pre-focused on the spot, DOF set to account for error or play, and you hope for the best.

But I think in keeping with the OP sideways question about older glass.. Hell ya! You go boy! Grab that older stuff up and use away. If it will couple and function, you get the results you're after... Any glass will do.

I have an older 300 f/2.8 I use as a ceiling hanger in arenas. Now, there isn't a hope in hadees it's going to hit the floor with all the safety cables.. But if it ever did.. I'm good. Insurance wise and glass wise.

Think of remotes like a Ron Popeil commercial. 'You set it -- and forget it'.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:47 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.