Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · ND Filters?

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ND Filters?

I'm not a landscape photographer trying to make soft waterfalls so I have never really played with or used ND filters before, aside from the one built in to a few cameras that I've owned.

I've been thinking about trying to one to my arsenal so that I can strobe in the daytime with larger apertures without HSS. Anyone else doing this for portraits? Any recommendations on a filter (4 stops-ish?) that is good quality and not going to trash my colors and skin tones? This is a whole new unfamiliar world for me.

Jun 07, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Boss302
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ND Filters?

I purchased an 8 stop ND filter and practiced with it a couple of times. Really unfamiliar with possible results. Thanks for asking about this subject and I looking forward to reading the input from others in the forum.

Jun 07, 2016 at 04:31 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ND Filters?

I have the Lee big stopper (10 stops) that produces colour shift (fixable) but excellent for Black & white and also a B+W 2 stop ND filter that I use quite a lot at midday weddings, no colour shift that my eyes can see.

I soon will introduce some graduated ND filters to get deeper into landscape photography, the one I will be doing when I retire.

Jun 07, 2016 at 05:19 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ND Filters?

curious about this too, haven't tried them....

Jun 07, 2016 at 06:28 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ND Filters?

You might consider a variable ND. Don't cheap out though. The good ones minimise colour issues but you can expect to pay hundreds. Not so bad if all your lenses have a single filter size or you can use step rings. The advantage is that you can just dial in as much as you need rather than having a one size fits all approach.

I have a Lee Big Stopper and Little Stopper. Colour is easily fixed. However the Big Stopper often has such an effect that the AF system can't function anymore. And it can be near impossible to see through a VF or compose properly.

Most of my cameras have ISO50. I can use that with a 3 or 4 stop and get below 1/250 most of the time. I can still get AF as well.

Gordon

Jun 07, 2016 at 08:54 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ND Filters?

I second getting a variable ND instead. It just gives you more flexibility. I used to use B+W ND's (which are good) but have since switched to Tiffen Variable ND (except for our 14-24 for which I use Fotodiox 145mm ND's).

Tiffen performance is surprisingly good and I have not noticed any major color shift or anything (and certainly nothing that can not be quickly fixed in post). (Of course at max setting and for very long exposure times, you should care to block any stray light getting through the viewfinder, or else you will end up with dreaded x-pattern).

This is a good review of some of the variable ND filters:

Jun 07, 2016 at 09:18 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ND Filters?

jmraso wrote:
I have the Lee big stopper (10 stops) that produces colour shift (fixable) but excellent for Black & white and also a B+W 2 stop ND filter that I use quite a lot at midday weddings, no colour shift that my eyes can see.

I soon will introduce some graduated ND filters to get deeper into landscape photography, the one I will be doing when I retire.

Do you feel like the 2 stop really does enough? I was reading an article by David Hobby on this. He started with a moderate ND filter, then spent big money on a Singh-Ray Vari-ND, and this is from a guy who likes to do things on the cheap when possible.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06/using-nd-filters-to-kill-depth-of-field.html

I may get a 3 or 4 stop B+W or Hoya and see how useful it is.

Jun 08, 2016 at 09:16 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ND Filters?

When I was shooting weddings, I used a 3-stop B+W ND filter along with a circular polarizer all the time. Even when you're not using OCF outdoors it can come in handy, but outside OCF is the most obvious and beneficial application.

The 3-stop was great, and usually got me the result I wanted, but there were certainly some situations where I wished I had a 6- or 9-stop filter.

I assure you that you'll happily find applications for it. I don't recommend people buy tons of gear, but an ND filter is vastly underrated and can make a huge difference.

Jun 08, 2016 at 09:22 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ND Filters?

Yeah, probably better in many situations, but the 2 stop one blocks some light which is enough to me. It blocks a litte more light than a polarizer (1 1/3 or so) which I have used a lot and am very confotable with, i have never put them both together which would be nearly 4 stops.

BSPhotog wrote:
Do you feel like the 2 stop really does enough? I was reading an article by David Hobby on this. He started with a moderate ND filter, then spent big money on a Singh-Ray Vari-ND, and this is from a guy who likes to do things on the cheap when possible.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06/using-nd-filters-to-kill-depth-of-field.html

I may get a 3 or 4 stop B+W or Hoya and see how useful it is.

Jun 08, 2016 at 09:40 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ND Filters?

Well, I ordered a Hoya PRO16 4 stop 77mm ND with a stepdown adapter, so we'll see how it goes.

Jun 08, 2016 at 10:15 AM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ND Filters?

I use Hoya ND (3 stops) all the times when i shoot outdoor portrait during bright daylight. It helps me to shoot at 2.8 or lower with flash ( I rarely use HSS).

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:56 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ND Filters?

I got to play with a new lens and ND filter on some senior portraits this weekend (Much better time to fiddle with new gear than a wedding!). 180mm f/2.8D on D800, Hoya ProND16 4 stop ND filter, 26" hexabox with one speedlight.

I'm over the moon with this 180mm lens and I had a lot of fun with this ND filter as well. Good stuff.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ND Filters?

Lee filters for the win!

Jun 14, 2016 at 02:14 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ND Filters?

I played with this question a few months ago. In the end, I bought a "break through" 3 stop and an Ice 10 stop. I ended up buying and using some ttl triggers and prefer the HHS look and colors to the nd filters. All nd filters have some color cast to them and it seemed to be easier to shoot and edit with HHS for me. I still have the filters and plan to use them for landscapes.

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:53 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ND Filters?

I only have experience with the filter that I purchased, but I was surprised how little color shift that I encountered. In my limited experience with a fairly good quality ND filter, the color fluctuation was no more significant that that between my existing lens lineup and really difficult to determine at all. HSS makes sense as another viable option. Most of my current OCF equipment doesn't do HSS natively, so that swayed my approach

Jun 23, 2016 at 03:05 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ND Filters?

nice images

Jun 24, 2016 at 07:42 AM
paintedfowl

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ND Filters?

I've used filters a long time. Have a couple. One was not dark enough most of the time and the other is dark enough but causes focus issues. Really dark filters you can't see well and found myself taking it off to make sure I had focus . Went with the variable Hoya 0.45-2.7 and now carry one. Can use the lighter side to gain focus and go dark as needed.

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:21 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ND Filters?

I carry a 6 stop nd, 3 stop nd and 3 stop red filter for with my leica kit.
The 6 is really only good to shoot during the day with 1600 speed film but is nice to have when I have a roll of 1600 loaded and need to finish it.
I only use BW filters as I have found that they are made the best (brass) with the best glass and multi coatings.
I do not see any image degradation except occasionally when I use the 6stop wide open with my 50 lux and then things can get a touch dreamy for my tastes.

Jul 13, 2016 at 05:20 PM
hbomb69

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ND Filters?

As a wedding photographer I have 2,3 and 4 stop ND's....all Hoya ProND
I would say the 2 stop is used the most to get me to f2.8 in open shade

Jul 17, 2016 at 06:08 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ND Filters?

You may as well use HSS because you're losing power whether you're using an ND or HSS anyways so why make focusing and seeing through viewfinder more difficult?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:10 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.