New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

DGC1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

From naturescapes.net:

1. Set up a high contrast focus target. The downloadable and printable target for the FoCal AF software (which I don't currently recommend) is a great target for this purpose. Print it, or another target and tape it to a perfectly vertical surface such as a wall. Now perfectly align the camera both in height and tilt to the target so that the sensor is perfectly parallel to the camera's sensor. You can also utilize the LensAlign II target if you own this as it has a simple to use target alignment system. The camera should be about 25 times the focal length away from the target for general use or at the distance that you do your shooting at if you are in a controlled environment such as a studio.

2. Now put the camera in live view and focus the image with the focus target in the center. Now initiate the auto AF Fine Tune system by hitting the Focus selection button on the lower left of the lens mount (with you standing behind the camera) and the movie record button (small red button next to the shutter button) simultaneously and hold until the screen asks you to confirm that the camera is steady. Select yes and a value will be entered in the AF Fine Tune table. Now go to the AF Fine Tune menu item at the bottom of the first page of the Tools Menu (wrench icon), make sure that AF Fine Tune is set to On and then read out the value that was entered in the Saved Value item. Write this value down.

3. Repeat the same procedure as in number 2 above 9 more times for a total of 10 samples. Write all of them down.

4. Now cross out the lowest value (the most negative if a negative number) and the highest number (the least negative number if the highest number is also negative) to get rid of any weird outliers. Next, take an average of the remaining 8 values by adding them up and dividing by 8. Round this to the nearest whole number and enter this value in the Saved Value line item of the AF Fine Tune menu.

5. Repeat the above for every lens and every lens/teleconverter option. On zoom lenses, use a focal length at or near the longest focal length unless you do not use your lens at that focal length.

Here is an example of a 200-400 f/4G lens that I just fine tuned on a D500. I first manually did it and came up with a value of -2. The following AF Fine Tune values were obtained using the auto AF Fine Tune procedure 10 times:
-1, +3, -3, -2, -2, -3, -4, -1, -5, -1, -3

Throwing out the highest and lowest values (+3 and -5) and then averaging the rest gives a result of -2.37. Rounding that to the nearest integer, you get a value of -2 which is identical to the value I came up with. - See more at: https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=263680#sthash.95LTtTdn.dpuf

Haven't tried it yet, please report your experiences.

Jun 07, 2016 at 08:47 AM
shekarn64
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

25 times the focal length in mm? If you are adjusting a 100mm lens, then the distance should be 2500mm from the target correct?

Jun 07, 2016 at 08:58 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

Math is not my strong point...

Jun 07, 2016 at 11:19 AM
architect7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

I've used the auto AF fine tune feature quite a bit, feel free to join the discussion here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1427715/0

In my experience, regular dot tune calibration is superior to the auto AF fine tune feature.

Jun 08, 2016 at 12:47 AM
suteetat
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

I find that I had had time keeping my camera perfectly still when pressing two buttons and confirmation button especially with heavier lenses like 200-500 and the number I got was all over the place.
Smaller lenses like 300/4 PF, 58/1.4, 20/1.8 etc I got much more consistent readout with much much less variation.

Jun 08, 2016 at 12:57 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

shekarn64 wrote:
25 times the focal length in mm? If you are adjusting a 100mm lens, then the distance should be 2500mm from the target correct?

Figure a little over 8 foot (8.2) per 100mm.

Jun 08, 2016 at 08:14 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 AF Fine Tune Method

I tried the Auto AF fine tune and did not like the results. With Dot Tune AF method I adjust the focus manually in Liveview and then use the shutter release (which is set to not change focus) to see if the camera thinks the lens is focused properly.

Based on the Dot or the Left or Right pointing arrow I will then change the AF fine tune setting up or down and then recheck the new setting by pressing the shutter release button. This is a very fast process.

When I think the setting is correct I will then do a shot at that setting and one more at +2 from the setting and another shot at -2 from the setting. These 3 images I check on my monitor.

I purposely use a 3-D object as it is easy to confirm visually if the camera is front or back focusing and I do not have to rely 100% on the camera.

With the Auto AF fine tune Nikon advises having the target taking up the entire height of the viewfinder for best results and that will result in the optimum distance if using this procedure. Nikon also recommends setting the AF fine tuning for the distance at which a lens is normally used so a 200mm micro lens might be best adjusted with a target at 24 inches whereas the 200mm f/2 lens might be best adjusted with a target at 24 feet.

Jun 09, 2016 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.