New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1DXII and Highlights

nighley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DXII and Highlights

Some have voiced their concern that the 1DXII has some bad highlight handling compared to the previous canon sensors.I was always confused when people said that the 1DXII has some issues with recovering highlights. Especially since I did tests and the metering is almost spot on with +3EV is where the RAW files clip. Pretty much what can be expected. Was out shooting birds in trees today and had all settings on manual (never trusted auto ISO, maybe I should change my mind after this =). When suddenly this guy flew across the sky:

http://i.imgur.com/ng2tN5D.jpg

While reviewing on the camera pretty much the full image was blinking with highlight clipping. I was hugely disappointed even though I did adjust the ISO on the fly but apparently not enough... But look at that:

http://i.imgur.com/3FG8JZ6.jpg

Some channels most definitely clipped and the bird is probably not 100% colour accurate but since I messed up I'm still happy for a somewhat usable image.

Jun 06, 2016 at 02:59 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DXII and Highlights

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:01 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DXII and Highlights

Great to see that the image wasn't a trash can shot.

One thing to consider about the image preview on the back of the camera is that it displays a jpg of the picture style you choose. Depending on the style they can boost they exposure causing more blown highlights than really exist on the raw file. Higher numbers on sharpness, contrast and saturation will make more areas blink.

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:29 PM
nighley

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DXII and Highlights

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
Great to see that the image wasn't a trash can shot.

One thing to consider about the image preview on the back of the camera is that it displays a jpg of the picture style you choose. Depending on the style they can boost they exposure causing more blown highlights than really exist on the raw file. Higher numbers on sharpness, contrast and saturation will make more areas blink.

I'm using a low contrast picture profile specifically to spot highlight clipping. But it's still not perfect as I've seen today =)

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:34 PM
pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DXII and Highlights

What's the lowest of all contrast jpg pic profile to choose I wonder...Portrait ?

Jun 07, 2016 at 01:23 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DXII and Highlights

I've found that 4 clicks past the first blinkies in the standard picture style preview opens in RAW with no clipping.

Jun 07, 2016 at 01:25 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DXII and Highlights

Pompo I would say neutral?

Jun 07, 2016 at 01:32 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DXII and Highlights

Neutral -4 contrast -4 Saturation 'usually' gives you a couple of clicks of headroom in raw (7d2 / 5dsr / 1dxii)

starting with the 7d2, especially as compared to the 5d3, with matrix metering and a Standard Profile, 'usually' you are 1/3rd of a stop away from blinking highlights in the camera - there is a tiny bit more room in the raw - but NOT like the old 5D3

if you are able to shoot at low ISOs with the 1DXII, you are better to underexpose by 1/3rd stop because there is now so much DR and clean shadows (at base ISOs) there is no point even risking it - high ISOs are a completely different matter (you want to properly expose or very slightly to the right at anything above 6400 because you are losing DR fast and noise explodes above 12,800 and it is all in the shadows)

Jun 07, 2016 at 02:47 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DXII and Highlights

The images behave much more different than i am used to. Editing 1dxII files can make them look unnatural easily if you are used to 7dII and 6d files, at least to me. Just returned home and only had a laptop available, have to look on my calibrated screen and try DPP instead of LR. But i clearly noticed a difference in pp.

Jun 07, 2016 at 04:05 AM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DXII and Highlights

therealthings wrote:
The images behave much more different than i am used to. Editing 1dxII files can make them look unnatural easily if you are used to 7dII and 6d files, at least to me. Just returned home and only had a laptop available, have to look on my calibrated screen and try DPP instead of LR. But i clearly noticed a difference in pp.

Might want to try Capture 1 Pro 9, free 30 day trial - I downloaded it yesterday and it does a good job.

Jun 07, 2016 at 09:31 AM
pompo
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DXII and Highlights

evertdoorn wrote:
Pompo I would say neutral?

thanks I didn't have my camera with me, and never ever even fool with picture profiles since I never thought it would help with previewing raws so I didn't even know what profiles are there!

Jun 07, 2016 at 09:59 AM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DXII and Highlights

The 1Dx2 reminds me of the way the 1D3 handled highlights: even when the preview showed blown whites, you could pull them back and get loads of detail. I'm liking it much more than the way the 1Dx reacted to blown whites.

Jun 07, 2016 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.