FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Outdoor ceremony advice

svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Outdoor ceremony advice

I've agreed to photograph my nephew's wedding this August. It will be in Texas, 6PM hot with sun still overhead. Unfortunately the location they have chosen for the ceremony is outdoors under a canopy of trees. See the link for a photo I took this weekend when scouting the location with them. Obviously cloud cover would be helpful but I can't count on that at 6PM on any August day in Texas. Is there any type of filter I can use to eliminate the light splotches?

Needless to say I have already informed the bride and groom no amount of photoshop will clean this up. I have even suggested a small tent for them to stand under during the ceremony but 2 college kids on a budget wedding were not too keen on the additional cost.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=97885FA945CEDA01!19843&authkey=!ADasJP084gbrOZA&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Any advice is appreciated...

Jun 06, 2016 at 11:55 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Outdoor ceremony advice

Will look way different at 6pm. Looks like a dream spot at that time of day.

Jun 06, 2016 at 12:12 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Outdoor ceremony advice

2 hours before sunset. Try to have them stand with their backs to the sun.

If you can do that, it will be freaking gorgeous.

Jun 06, 2016 at 12:26 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Outdoor ceremony advice

You will be fine.
Just stay out of the hot spots when doing any kind of formals.

Have lots of water on hand for everybody.

I am thinking we might have a slightly cooler summer here in the Big "D".
So hopefully we are not in the 100's that day.

-Mark

Jun 06, 2016 at 12:30 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Outdoor ceremony advice

Well thanks all, thats encouraging. I was thinking the sun would still be pretty high. I plan to go back closer to the wedding and check out the 6PM conditions.

Jun 06, 2016 at 02:07 PM
ernstbj

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Outdoor ceremony advice

Excellent idea to check the 6 pm conditions. At 6 pm, the sun might be high enough to not worry about this too much. Just be careful with the sun hitting/entering your lens. If it does, your subjects could look washed out. Use a lens hood AND prepare to use something to block the sun from the entering the end of your lens ...your hand (might work), a guest, tree trunk etc. or arrange to have someone available (assistant/friend) to block the sun.

Jun 06, 2016 at 02:43 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Outdoor ceremony advice

Personally, I'd probably shoot it a stop or so underexposed at base ISO and recover the shadows in post. In my experience, it is easier to do that than try and recover blown highlights on wedding dresses from patchy light (if you're concerned with that). Are you worried about covering the ceremony itself or portraits before or after?

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.