Thanks for looking!

Greg

Safflower

Jun 05, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Bernie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Safflower

Beautiful shot. You might want to up the highlights a bit just to see how that looks.

Jun 06, 2016 at 10:37 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Safflower

Thanks Bernie. For some reason, the photos I upload directly to FM get altered, so they don't show as well as they do on my monitor or elsewhere. As an experiment, I'll link to one here to see if it shows "brighter." May be a resolution trim for website space conservation.....

https://photos.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Black-and-White/i-JWDt7Ms/0/L/Safflower%20BW%201800-L.jpg

Jun 06, 2016 at 11:06 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Safflower

That's got more pop. The difference is the color space. The sRGB (second one) is coming across much better. When i did a screen grab from the first, CS6 complained that it was an invalid color space. So it's possible web browsers don't know how to handle it properly.

Anytime I display a b&w using dot gain 20% (some places require it over sRGB), web sites / browsers often display it darker than where it should be.

Jun 06, 2016 at 01:15 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Safflower

Beautiful Greg, I like this very much. Was the image made on a scanner by any chance? I met Tina Leto at an art show in Florida, and she had several prints in this exact style. I asked her about them and she said the objects were scanned with the lid open. Great shot either way. Bernie, thanks for the tip.

Jun 06, 2016 at 06:23 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Safflower

Hi Dale, no this was shot on my camera Did Tina scan prints? Not sure how something like this could be done using a scanner...Thanks for the comment!

Greg

Jun 06, 2016 at 07:30 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Safflower

Bernie wrote:
That's got more pop. The difference is the color space. The sRGB (second one) is coming across much better. When i did a screen grab from the first, CS6 complained that it was an invalid color space. So it's possible web browsers don't know how to handle it properly.

Anytime I display a b&w using dot gain 20% (some places require it over sRGB), web sites / browsers often display it darker than where it should be.

Thanks Bernie, I'll have to double check which color space I am using in Photoshop. I'm pretty sure it's sRGB. I stopped exporting from Lightroom because I felt I was losing resolution in the process of converting the tiff's to jpg, so I started resizing the images in Photoshop and simply save them from there as a jpg..

Jun 06, 2016 at 07:35 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Safflower

Greg, like I said, she uses a scanner, not to scan a print, but to scan a PLANT lol. She leaves the lid open on the scanner. Scanners have very high resolution. Here is a link to her Prairie collection which uses this technique.

http://www.tinaleto.com/prairie.html

Jun 06, 2016 at 07:42 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Safflower

DaleBerlin wrote:
Greg, like I said, she uses a scanner, not to scan a print, but to scan a PLANT lol. She leaves the lid open on the scanner. Scanners have very high resolution. Here is a link to her Prairie collection which uses this technique.

http://www.tinaleto.com/prairie.html

Thanks for the link Dale. Interesting process. I guess I didn't make the connection when you said with the "lid open." It would have never dawned on me to even try that. To think I go through all the trouble to set up a backdrop, camera support, lighting, remote trigger, etc....

Jun 07, 2016 at 08:04 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Safflower

Gorgeous tones and detail Greg!
Douglas

Jun 07, 2016 at 08:16 AM
Blakemore
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Safflower

Beautiful image and excellent processing!

Jun 07, 2016 at 10:01 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Safflower

Gorgeous, Greg. Have you also tried a bit less negative space on the left?
Scott

Jun 08, 2016 at 10:39 AM
James McQueen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Safflower

Excellent image Greg.

-Jim

Jun 08, 2016 at 08:54 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Safflower

douter wrote:
Gorgeous tones and detail Greg!
Douglas

Thanks Douglas!

Greg

Jun 08, 2016 at 10:10 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Safflower

Blakemore wrote:
Beautiful image and excellent processing!

Thanks Blakemore!

Greg

Jun 08, 2016 at 10:10 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Safflower

sbeme wrote:
Gorgeous, Greg. Have you also tried a bit less negative space on the left?
Scott

Thanks Scott! This started as a 5:4 format and I ended up adding space to the left to see how it felt to me and I ended up liking it. I think it's the texture of the flower that made me feel the negative space would add another dimension of contrast. Either that or I've been doing too many centered comps lately and needed a break

Greg

Jun 08, 2016 at 10:15 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Safflower

James McQueen wrote:
Excellent image Greg.

-Jim

Thanks Jim!

Greg

Jun 08, 2016 at 10:16 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.