New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

photoelle
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

I have recently added a Fuji XT-1 to my Canon kit, and had the opportunity to shoot with it in a challenging lighting situation. I have shot horse shows in this arena for several years, using many different Canon cameras, including the 1D, 1D3, 1D4 and 5D3. Its really dark, poorly lit with old sodium lights, (many are not even working), and they have now added some fluorescents along one side. White balance has always been difficult in there, but the mix of lighting is terrible, usually making almost every photo a different colour.

The photos here show a 5DM3 file, shot RAW with custom white balance in camera, processed in Aperture, corrected, sharpened and noise reduced with Dfine. Shot with on camera Canon 600 EX flash.

The Fuji XT-1 file was shot JPG on auto white balance, and was not processed. Shot with on camera Nissin i40 flash. I'm really pleasantly surprised how well the Fuji managed to handle the shooting in there. I'm also adding 100% crops from both.

100% detail Fuji

100% detail Canon

Jun 05, 2016 at 10:04 PM
lexvo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

One of the first things I noticed when switching from Canon to Fuji was that the WB of Fuji is very accurate most of the time.

Jun 06, 2016 at 01:25 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

The Canon sensor does a better job recording detail on the hair of the horse.

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:52 AM
fotografur
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

Spyro P. wrote:
The Canon sensor does a better job recording detail on the hair of the horse.

The canon is raw and the Fuji is jpg. The Fuji raw files contain loads of detail for a 16 mp sensor.

Jun 06, 2016 at 04:03 AM
hongkietan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

In the past I have taken photo's with an canon 20d/5dii under atrocious lightning (high iso!), my experience with the owners that for a photograph only the ears, feet and the posture of horse and rider were important, not the detail in the hairs...

Jun 06, 2016 at 04:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

The EF 70-200/4L IS has better IQ than the XF 18-55 OIS. I have both. The best approach to compare these two cameras would be to use the same lens on both. As it is, this is a comparison of X-T1 + 18-55 OIS vs. 5DIII + 70-200/4L IS.

Jun 06, 2016 at 04:39 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

Typical X trans smeary mess to my eyes.

Jun 06, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

fotografur wrote:
The canon is raw and the Fuji is jpg. The Fuji raw files contain loads of detail for a 16 mp sensor.

Both true.
Still, the Canon sensor does a better job recording detail on the hair of the horse

Jun 06, 2016 at 08:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

The level of noise reduction required (or chosen) and other factors make both of these look less than swell at 100%.

I shot a 5DII for many years (still have it but now using 5DsR) along with a XE1 (now replaced by XPro2).

The larger sensor has advantages, though the Fujifilm is a good low light performer, too. It is what I use for handheld night street photography. I regularly print at 18" x 24" from the XE1, and I can go larger with the X-Pro2.

That said, for this subject I would have chosen the Canon system.

Dan

Jun 06, 2016 at 09:28 AM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

The Canon file was fully processed, including sharpening, because it was a RAW file. The Fuji file would have processing in the camera because it was shot as a JPG, so I did not sharpen it or reduce noise for comparison purposes.

Edited on Jun 06, 2016 at 10:26 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2016 at 10:14 AM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

hongkietan wrote:
In the past I have taken photo's with an canon 20d/5dii under atrocious lightning (high iso!), my experience with the owners that for a photograph only the ears, feet and the posture of horse and rider were important, not the detail in the hairs...

Yes, this is correct. The leg position of the horse, with ears forward is most important. Sharpness of the image however just makes a better image.

Jun 06, 2016 at 10:16 AM
photoelle
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

gdanmitchell wrote:
The level of noise reduction required (or chosen) and other factors make both of these look less than swell at 100%.

I shot a 5DII for many years (still have it but now using 5DsR) along with a XE1 (now replaced by XPro2).

The larger sensor has advantages, though the Fujifilm is a good low light performer, too. It is what I use for handheld night street photography. I regularly print at 18" x 24" from the XE1, and I can go larger with the X-Pro2.

That said, for this subject I would have chosen the Canon system.

Dan

I agree, however I'm very pleased with the performance of the Fuji system in such poor conditions, to me its certainly usable. My plan is to continue to use my Canon system for the performance (action) classes, and the Fuji for the halter classes (where the horse is standing still for the judges evaluation). Shows often run 10+ hours a day, and carrying the lighter camera kit will be a welcome relief for me.

Jun 06, 2016 at 10:23 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

photoelle wrote:
I have recently added a Fuji XT-1 to my Canon kit, and had the opportunity to shoot with it in a challenging lighting situation. I have shot horse shows in this arena for several years, using many different Canon cameras, including the 1D, 1D3, 1D4 and 5D3. Its really dark, poorly lit with old sodium lights, (many are not even working), and they have now added some fluorescents along one side. White balance has always been difficult in there, but the mix of lighting is terrible, usually making almost every photo a different colour.

The photos here show a 5DM3
...Show more

I am fond of comparisons and find them quite useful. However, in this case you have different lenses, jpeg vs. raw, etc.... Too many variables that were not controlled.

Not terribly usable in a way that generates meaningful conclusions, IMO.

Jun 06, 2016 at 12:41 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

I moved from a 5D II to an X-T1. Wrote a comparison here:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DO6ZMEAR4VZ7/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00HYAL88W

I'll give the X-T1 weight, DR, and manual-focus over a 5D III. Almost everything else, the 5D III is a better body.

Jun 06, 2016 at 01:07 PM
pinholecam
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji XT-1 vs 5D Mark III observations

Just my opinion, but the XT1 close up looks like a water color painting

I'd take the 5DIII o/p in this case.

I also agree with the statement that the poise of the ride/horse makes the shot and in this case, the 5DIII shot was the more dramatic one with the angle, poise, lighting.

Jun 07, 2016 at 02:41 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.