New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Water Tower Skyline

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Water Tower Skyline

I love shooting the NYC water towers that sit on top of many buildings. Unfortunately I don't have the scenic views that Ben has, so this will have to do.

Your comments and critiques welcome.

© eeneryma 2016

Water Tower Skyline

Jun 05, 2016 at 07:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Water Tower Skyline

I think it could use some pp (tonal ) help with distinguishing / drawing us to the water towers from the bevy of other lines, shapes / forms. Without the back story / title it probably wouldn't come across as pertinent to the message (which I is kinda unique to uber-urban living).

Jun 05, 2016 at 08:40 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Water Tower Skyline

RustyBug wrote:
I think it could use some pp (tonal ) help with distinguishing / drawing us to the water towers from the bevy of other lines, shapes / forms. Without the back story / title it probably wouldn't come across as pertinent to the message (which I is kinda unique to uber-urban living).

Thanks for the feedback Kent. I was going for the "dark and foreboding" look. Will try some pp on the towers.
Steve

Jun 05, 2016 at 09:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Water Tower Skyline

Gotcha ... might just be an audience lack of familiarity issue as well.

Jun 05, 2016 at 09:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Water Tower Skyline

You could call this room with a view. The vibe I get is looking out from an upper story room, perhaps a balcony. Kent is right, the water towers are just not sufficient in weight to carry the story, a problem I run into all the time where I want to include all that I see.

Jun 05, 2016 at 09:37 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Water Tower Skyline

ben egbert wrote:
You could call this room with a view. The vibe I get is looking out from an upper story room, perhaps a balcony. Kent is right, the water towers are just not sufficient in weight to carry the story, a problem I run into all the time where I want to include all that I see.

Thanks Ben. I figured there had to be a connection between mt vistas and nyc rooftops. 😀
Steve

Jun 05, 2016 at 10:08 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Water Tower Skyline

I sorta like it as is. Don't call it "water towers." For me it is more about very early morning in the city and the beautiful light that briefly fills the sky while I am still in a private place before beginning to enter the public sphere in the bright light of day. The one lit window adds to that feeling for me. It's about a quiet private moment in a very intense and public place to live.

Jun 06, 2016 at 07:26 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Water Tower Skyline

Steve,
To me the dominant feature and therefore implied subject is the brightly lit window. It pulls my eye beneath the water towers and creates some curiosity. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be found there. Makes me wonder...depending how voyeuristic you are...about a series on city windows. At any rate, I don't see this image as working for the intended goal.

Scott

Jun 06, 2016 at 08:34 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Water Tower Skyline

chiron wrote:
I sorta like it as is. Don't call it "water towers." For me it is more about very early morning in the city and the beautiful light that briefly fills the sky while I am still in a private place before beginning to enter the public sphere in the bright light of day. The one lit window adds to that feeling for me. It's about a quiet private moment in a very intense and public place to live.

Hi Chiron and thank u for your comments. I agree with all of u that the water towers are not prominent enough to label the photo title water towers. The photo was taken at dusk...oftenhard to tell sunrise from sunset, a private moment agreed.

Steve

Jun 06, 2016 at 09:30 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Water Tower Skyline

sbeme wrote:
Steve,
To me the dominant feature and therefore implied subject is the brightly lit window. It pulls my eye beneath the water towers and creates some curiosity. Unfortunately, there is nothing to be found there. Makes me wonder...depending how voyeuristic you are...about a series on city windows. At any rate, I don't see this image as working for the intended goal.

Scott

Totally agree with you about city windows, however it could be a minefield depending what u show A few years ago a fairly well known photographer in nyc took photos of people across the street through their windows and got into big trouble and was sued. I

Jun 06, 2016 at 09:34 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Water Tower Skyline

Took a stab at a few things. Tried to keep the boding vibe while bringing out the towers.
Had a version with some punchier window lights and brick wall that kinda looked cool, but tried to keep it to Steve's intended (my perspective of) vibe.

I kinda dig the window in the building with what looks like a refrigerator. That and the lines (implied) between the water tower and the fridge ... thinking that the water for the ice cubes comes from the tower above it. That, or water for the morning coffee to go with the bacon & eggs (fridge) to get the (intimate / quiet) morning started.

I actually think this is a rather fine capture that continues to grow on me, the more time I spend with it. Imo, there's actually a lot to digest and consider the bevy of puzzle pieces that make up a more complete story than a passing first glance might suggest. Very much a subtle cerebral tickler on this one, me thinks.

Nice one, Steve.

Jun 06, 2016 at 09:25 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Water Tower Skyline

RustyBug wrote:
Took a stab at a few things. Tried to keep the boding vibe while bringing out the towers.
Had a version with some punchier window lights and brick wall that kinda looked cool, but tried to keep it to Steve's intended (my perspective of) vibe.

I kinda dig the window in the building with what looks like a refrigerator. That and the lines (implied) between the water tower and the fridge ... thinking that the water for the ice cubes comes from the tower above it. That, or water for the morning coffee to go with the bacon & eggs (fridge) to
...Show more
Kent:
You took my "humble" photo and elevated it to another level!! Your grasp of "command and control" always makes my jaw drop open. Thank you for giving this incredible direction!
Steve

Jun 06, 2016 at 10:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Water Tower Skyline

Steve,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a bit remiss to say what I really think of it since I had my hand in it too.
That said, this is meant 100% as a compliment to your vision for the capture and your steadfastness of vision for the message, 0% to my hand (I just followed your lead).

That fluff out of the way, I keep envisioning this one on a museum wall somewhere, by the artist known as "Steve".

For those who may not know ... iirc, Annie Liebowitz outsources PP to achieve the "look" that is associated to her name. With that in mind, I am a firm believer that the one who's vision it was that captured the image is the one responsible for the outcome. If authors can have "ghost writers" ... photographers can have "ghost processors" or "ghost finishers". Actually, if you think about taking film to the lab for processing, it has a long history of "ghost finishers" ... the primary difference being that of "standard" vs. "custom" labs vs. self-finishing.

Frank Lloyd Wright used contractors / sub-contractors to bring his vision to fruition. He didn't build it all 100% by himself ... yet, his name remains as the visionary to the finished work.

I say these things such that you take no reduction in the amount of credit for this piece. This is 100% your piece (no matter how much I touched it on your behalf) ... and one that IMHO (or not so humble ) you should be rather proud of. Your vision, your message. I think it is one of those messages that requires the audience to pause and even keep coming back to in order to derive the fullness of what it contains.

In that manner, I find images that are beyond a singular point to have a particular credence to them that invites us more into the mind of the artist than a simple "Here's a picture of XYZ".

I know you like to dabble in juxtaposition, irony, etc. All of those are things that include more than a singular point, require thought and are often in contrast. Here, I think we have much more of the multiple points, thought requirement ... HOWEVER ... the big difference here (imo) is that now we have HARMONY in those myriad of points for consideration that combine to bring forth and convey the presence (same presence that Dave, Ben, Adams, etc. in different genres) of the experience of being there.

I've never been to New York, but from your image ... well, let's just say that I "feel" like I have "experienced" a bit of New York in a different way than I have before.

Again, kudos to your vision of capture and vision of message. Suffice to say, I'm diggin it.

Jun 07, 2016 at 06:49 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Water Tower Skyline

RustyBug wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm a bit remiss to say what I really think of it since I had my hand in it too.
That said, this is meant 100% as a compliment to your vision for the capture and your steadfastness of vision for the message, 0% to my hand (I just followed your lead).

That fluff out of the way, I keep envisioning this one on a museum wall somewhere, by the artist known as "Steve".

For those who may not know ... iirc, Annie Liebowitz outsources PP to achieve the "look" that is associated to her name.
...Show more

Very kind words and thank you. If you ever decide to come to NYC, and everyone should visit at least once, I'm the one who will give you a personal tour.
I learn from you and others every day. There is a helpfulness and comraderie on this forum that is a rare commodity, and much to be prized. We may be going in slightly different directions, but what we all share is a love of a wonderful pursuit: photographic excellence.

Steve

Jun 07, 2016 at 07:27 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Water Tower Skyline

RustyBug wrote:
For those who may not know ... iirc, Annie Liebowitz outsources PP to achieve the "look" that is associated to her name. With that in mind, I am a firm believer that the one who's vision it was that captured the image is the one responsible for the outcome. If authors can have "ghost writers" ... photographers can have "ghost processors" or "ghost finishers".

No... wait! What!

Oh hell yeah! I'm liking this idea! My little problem is finally SOLVED!!!
I got about 250GB of images just living in my computer, I'm sending your way Kent!
Just give me a shout when you get them finished bro.

Seriously though, That is a pretty attractive concept for goofy bastards like me.
Hmmmm... If I could just win that damn lottery.

And +1 on the edit Kent. Nice job and very nice capture Steve!
Kent does have a way of opening our eyes to what is possible within our own images that we often overlook or do not see at first. Like Kent said, this is all yours. He just nudged the door open a little so you could see what was inside the whole time.

Good stuff folks!

Now excuse me, I snapped a shot this morning on my way to work and need to post a picture of xyz.

Dave

Jun 07, 2016 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.