New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

Todd Ryburn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

I've been using the 1DX2 for about a month now and one issue with a particular lens/ext combo has come up.

When I use the camera with a 70-200f2.8 IS V2 and 2.0 III extender I have a weird issue with the shutter speed adjustment. When I attempt to raise the shutter speed it will go up two notches (2/3 of a stop) then shutter speed stops adjusting even though I'm still spinning the wheel.

If I lower the shutter speed and then increase it again the problem goes away. This has happened to me twice and both time with this lens/extender combo. I've used the camera with about 5 other lenses and with both the 1.4 and 2.0 extenders (both V3). Both times the problem occurred the first time I moved the shutter, then never repeated. I turned the camera on and off both times as well.

I am attaching the extender to the lens, and then to the camera (with the camera off). I used this combo on the 1dx, and 1div with no issues. I was worried it was some sort of mechanical problem with the camera, but since it's just this lens/ext combo I'm wondering if it's some sort of software issue. I'm just over the 30 days with B&H, and the camera seems perfectly fine other than this issue. I'll probably call CPS on Monday and see what they think.

I was curious if anyone else had a similar type of issue.

Thanks,
Todd

Jun 05, 2016 at 01:51 PM
willis
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

Just tried this with mine and I had no problems in manual or Tv mode with the same lens/extender combo. Might you have set limits on sutter speed or some other exposure parameter which is preventing further increases?

Jun 06, 2016 at 09:12 AM
Todd Ryburn
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

Thanks for checking Willis. I didn't have any sort of limit set and was able to get the shutter speed to increased after I decreased it first. I was in manual mode the whole time.

Jun 07, 2016 at 04:03 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

Are you using a grip? I had a similar problem with my 5DmkII and Canon grip. Sometimes I have to pull batteries to reset. Got a new grip (Vello) and the issue went away.

Jun 07, 2016 at 04:52 PM
wallstreetonei
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

just tried it a bunch of times, all different shooting modes, didn't happen to me

with 70-200 F2.8 II and 1.4x III - don't own the 2x

Jun 08, 2016 at 12:31 PM
mgrayson3

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

thebmrust wrote:
Are you using a grip? I had a similar problem with my 5DmkII and Canon grip. Sometimes I have to pull batteries to reset. Got a new grip (Vello) and the issue went away.

The 1DX II grip doesn't come off. That's one of the things I like about the 1D series.

Jun 08, 2016 at 12:39 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

You get a free grip built in with a 1D

Jun 08, 2016 at 12:39 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

I'm gonna mark my comment oddity as exhaustion... didn't realize it was the 1DX2 .... durrr

Jun 08, 2016 at 06:24 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

I had my 1DxII today not let me adjust shutter speed.....not sure why, powered down and back up, all good. I figure just something to be aware of.....

Jun 10, 2016 at 08:02 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

Funny, recently with my 1DX (classic version) I had something like that happen with the dial beside the shutter release on the top of the camera. In my configuration, it's set to adjust aperture, and while the wheel turned, the values didn't change. I don't remember what I did... maybe turned off then on again... and it worked without problem since.

My camera is nearly 4 years old, 800+K clicks, so thought it might be age related. But this sounds very similar to the discussion here. Maybe a problem with the dial's contacts? But the OP's problem sounds more flaky and more software related...

Jun 10, 2016 at 08:09 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX2 Shutter Speed Adjustment Issue

If its a repeatable issue, and happens every time you power up the camera, for example, send it to Canon. If its random or only happened once, I suspect that there will be nothing they can do.

Jun 13, 2016 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.