Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sudbury Reservoir

Fuji 14mm

Jun 04, 2016 at 10:51 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sudbury Reservoir

Wow; beautifully processed. I was in Sudbury, Canada in 1995 on a business trip. Really wonderful folk there.

Jun 04, 2016 at 11:42 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sudbury Reservoir

It's an interesting and unusual image. While the title, sky and water pull me into the image and to the reservoir, the richly detailed and textured log pull even more for my attention and dominant the real estate. It makes for an interesting POV and almost makes me picture that walking on top of the bark is the trail. You could crop out half the width of the tree and go more pano, emphasizing the reservoir. Or leave it as is, unusually composed, and let the textures tell the story.
What was your primary goal?

BTW, processing, while almost HDRish in appearance, works for me here.

Finally, Canada or Connecticut?

Scott

Scott

Jun 05, 2016 at 11:28 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sudbury Reservoir

Thanks. I was walking in the woods and came upon this fallen tree w/ huge split in it. It was challenging since the split was so dark and trying to keep sufficient detail in the sky (as I'm still getting used to the Fuji). I took several of just the split but thought them boring and without 'context' then I came up w/ the 'peering over' it composition. I like the way this shot has so many variations of horizontal lines moving through it, the split, the bark, the tree, the waves, the waterline, the clouds).

I wasn't really going for an HDR look (which I generally dont care for) but with Clarity and a touch of Topaz Detail, I wanted to emphasize the bark structure and late afternoon sun.

No, not Canada or Connecticut. Right here in Southborough, Massachusetts.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42%C2%B019'28.1%22N+71%C2%B030'30.2%22W/@42.3244839,-71.5105747,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d42.32448!4d-71.508386

Jun 05, 2016 at 11:51 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sudbury Reservoir

Howard,
thanks for the explanation
and location....I am not familiar with the location but it's less than an hour from me.

I think its the Topaz Detail that is aiding the bark/adding to a slight HDR look.
I have a close friend who is a Fuji fan. Seems not to hard to like!

The more I look, reflect, I think you should stick with your comp as is. It's a bit unique, a plus!

Scott

Jun 05, 2016 at 12:27 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sudbury Reservoir

If you do decide to walk that shoreline trail, there is parking (tiny lot) at the north terminus ONLY (the south terminus has $$ houses and NO PARKING anytime signs.

Actually, the Topaz Detail is dialed way back. It was really 95% pushing basic LR controls and tone curve and the way the sun was hitting the bark that lit it up.

The Fuji (and the 14mm) is really quite nice and so small and light. As I get older w/ bad back, I have less desire to haul big gear around.

I have another usable shot from that walk which is not as dramatic but I'll put up

Jun 05, 2016 at 12:53 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sudbury Reservoir

Here is the other one I got just for the moment that the sun peeked through although it's a bit more 'centered' than I'd like.

Jun 05, 2016 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.