Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

How does one go about getting into the f1 races to shoot races?

Does anyone know if the Marshall's allow any degree of freedom to move around the grandstands if I'm there with a 200-500 lens and Nikon D500?

I'm talking if I bought tickets as a spectator?

Jun 02, 2016 at 09:26 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

Are you employed by a wire or media organization?

Jun 02, 2016 at 10:10 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

P Alesse wrote:
Are you employed by a wire or media organization?

No I am not. This is for my personal interest. I'm a wedding photographer. But really been interested in motorsports photography lately.

Jun 02, 2016 at 11:12 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

Usually, credentials are given through those outlets I mentioned. As for bringing gear into the venue, the policies vary from place to place. Check their website or call their office.

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:04 PM
JohnPinette

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

RSHPhotography wrote:
How does one go about getting into the f1 races to shoot races?

Does anyone know if the Marshall's allow any degree of freedom to move around the grandstands if I'm there with a 200-500 lens and Nikon D500?

I'm talking if I bought tickets as a spectator?

Don't know about F1, but I've brought big glass into the MotoGP races at Indianapolis 4 times. For MotoGP the best times to get for the general public to get photos was during the practice and qualifying sessions. I assume the same holds true for F1. During qualifying and practice there are far less people around the track and you could go just about anywhere on the track that the public is allowed. There are only a few spots at Indy where you can get unobstructed views to take photos of. Except for these locations everywhere else on the track is blocked by a fence and 2nd barrier which is 10-15 feet from the fence so shooting through the fence is useless.

During the actual race I always leave my camera in its bag and enjoy the race.

Here are some my results over the years:
http://www.pbase.com/perfpix/motogp
http://www.pbase.com/perfpix/motogp2012
http://www.pbase.com/perfpix/motogp2015

Good luck!

John

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:46 PM
f1photog

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

I brought my 600mm with me to the Canadian GP in 2013. I could only enter grandstands for which I had tickets, but if you walk around the circuit you'll find quite a few places to shoot. Near the hairpin there are several areas where you can see over the fences without being in a grandstand.

There are ticket packages that put you in a different grandstand each day as well. Check the F1 website for those...they're labelled bronze, silver, and gold.

For media entries, look up the FiA accreditation website. Be forewarned, though, they have steep requirements and are loathe to issue media passes to anyone that doesn't have the backing of a major publisher or high traffic website devoted to motorsports.

Jun 04, 2016 at 09:43 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

3 ways to enter.

As a slug with big glass hoping for angles.

Media associated. And you still get no BIB access or hard card access. You'll more or less be a paid ticket in the door with media room access and parking.

Or, you follow and shoot IMSA, Formula, NASCAR etc.. are KNOWN for your work in the area, have been accredited under a working paper/site that covers many races. THEN, you'll get the BIB/Hard Card/Photo Hole up to the fence access.

I just shot the Detroit Grand Prix here and us.. along with the entire local newspaper (as we only have 1) were not allowed BIBS. Very static shots from static locations.. Meant for a very boring and uninteresting time. Out of 1000+ exposures -- maybe I took 15 away worthy of post work.

But I did get fed, and hydrated, and carted around by golf cart media people. The BBQ pork sandwiches made it worth the trip.

MC (Media Center Access) - Paddock Areas - Stands - Turns etc...

Jun 07, 2016 at 01:47 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

Just wondering if you made it to the GP?

FWIW F-1 is about the most controlling organization I can think of, based on my following of the sport over the years. Not only that, but you need to get your credentials long before the week leading up to the race.

With racing there seems to be a definate stepping stone structure. Prove yourself at local tracks where the photos you take may wind up buried in a regional racing magazine letting people know who won the race. From there you step up more regionally and so on. I think in one thread I saw it basically said pay your way to every race you can get to for 5 years and then you might get credentials.

Good luck going forward

Jun 13, 2016 at 02:34 PM
markcapilitan
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · F1 Canadian GP. How to get in?

Even doing the above probably won't get you into F1 anymore...it used to, but not now. Harder & harder to get access to F1...I know as I shot F1 full-time for nearly 5 years. Usually with individual F1 events, such as Montreal only, there'll only be about 10 local photographers, the rest of the guys shoot most of the races throughout the year.

Jun 15, 2016 at 04:29 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.