Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Hi guys,

I'm covering an event this weekend and likely to see some moderate to heavy rain. D810 and D700 are the likely players with 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's mounted.

Any and all advice on rain sleeves/protectors and what you tend to would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Chuck

Jun 01, 2016 at 10:14 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

I use Storm Jacket and have been very happy with them. They come in several sizes

Storm Jacket

Birdie

Jun 01, 2016 at 10:45 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Thank you, Roberta - and thank you for including the link.

I enjoyed your work...

Regards,

Chuck

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:24 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Both cameras and both lenses should have adequate rain protection just as they are.
I have shot in heavy heavy rain and snow with a D3/D700/D3s/Leica MM etc. with all sorts of lenses and they were all ok...
I would not recommend an all day thing but for a wedding I don't think you will really need anything extra.
I always have a gore tex coat with me that I can hold the camera under while I am not shooting if need be.

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:33 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

hardlyboring wrote:
Both cameras and both lenses should have adequate rain protection just as they are.
I have shot in heavy heavy rain and snow with a D3/D700/D3s/Leica MM etc. with all sorts of lenses and they were all ok...
I would not recommend an all day thing but for a wedding I don't think you will really need anything extra.
I always have a gore tex coat with me that I can hold the camera under while I am not shooting if need be.

Thank you, Doug. I appreciate your input and reassurance. The weather sealing isn't lost on me and if I did this sort of thing regularly I'd probably just chill out about it and trust the gear. As it is, I feel like I'm going to be carrying a naked infant through a downpour of acid rain.

Thanks again buddy. Your points do provide some peace of mind.

Chuck

Jun 02, 2016 at 12:07 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Optech rain sleeves, two pack for less than 10 bucks. Should be able to get them at any camera shop worth its salt... I always pack one!

Paul

Jun 02, 2016 at 12:29 AM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Paulthelefty wrote:
Optech rain sleeves, two pack for less than 10 bucks. Should be able to get them at any camera shop worth its salt... I always pack one!

Paul

Second this suggestion. Although inexpensive, they do a great job of protecting gear. Used them on an Alaskan outing - 7 days of rain out of 8 - and they kept my gear dry.

Jun 02, 2016 at 12:38 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Several times I just used plastic bags and rubber bands.
Obviously worked, camera's were the only things not sick as a dog a few days later! :0)

When I got into under water work I got some of those underwater bags. You can get Chinese cheapies which are just as good as the brand name ones in my experience.

Not the greatest for underwater work ( Always leaked) but they sure are great for rain..... And sand.... and dust.... and mud.... :0)

Jun 02, 2016 at 04:02 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Another option is from Promaster. It has its pros and cons. I use this one.

Jun 02, 2016 at 07:42 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

I've shot in torrential rain with a D800 and a D3S without issue. Don't worry. Just try to keep a lens cloth in your pocket and if you can avoid water getting in the viewfinder, that can be annoying to clean.

The bigger issue than rain drops for me is lenses fogging up when you go inside/outside. That's a pain in the ass.

Jun 02, 2016 at 09:47 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Another vote for the Optech Rain Sleeves. They are cheap and I got 3 or 4 and they have served me well for casual birding use (I am not a pro and my career doesn't depend on me getting the shot, so I can't say they are the best things out there).

Jun 02, 2016 at 12:21 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Funny thing... We were actually shooting in the rain this past wedding... Cameras were fine but my wife often cradles her 70-200 in her arms with the lens facing up kind of...
I grabbed her camera once to shoot and the damn lens was so wet I could not see through it! DOH!
So ya keep the camera pointed down

Jun 02, 2016 at 01:30 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

I appreciate it very much guys and gal. Thanks for all your help.

C

Jun 02, 2016 at 02:17 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

optek makes great rain gear, you just have to fumble around since it changes your accessibility to fiddle with your camera and lens

Jun 02, 2016 at 02:28 PM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

sherijohnson wrote:
optek makes great rain gear, you just have to fumble around since it changes your accessibility to fiddle with your camera and lens

Never had that problem. The rain sleeves at least are so thin, you can operate the buttons right through the plastic material.

Jun 02, 2016 at 04:27 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Scrumhalf wrote:
Never had that problem. The rain sleeves at least are so thin, you can operate the buttons right through the plastic material.

Same experience here.

Jun 02, 2016 at 05:38 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Thank you again, folks. Thankfully the weather forecast has become a bit more favorable so I may not need it but I did receive my B&H rain gear shipment today. It's something I've thought of adding to my pile of stuff many times but never got around to it.

As ever, it's great to have all of you to offer input and advice in the eleventh hour so the $35 FedEx fee is likely the only money wasted.

And yep, mate... picking up rubber bands in the morning to add to the arsenal...

Best,

Chuck

Jun 03, 2016 at 09:02 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

hardlyboring wrote:

I agree with Doug. I shoot nature and wildlife and deal with spray, rain and snow regularly. The only issue may be keeping the front element or filter dry and clean so bring plenty of dry cleaning cloths. White cotton works well and can be a saviour.

Morris

Jun 03, 2016 at 09:23 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

Scrumhalf wrote:

maybe you have had more experience shooting in the rain.

Jun 04, 2016 at 10:47 AM
Scrumhalf
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rain protection recommendations if you please

sherijohnson wrote:
maybe you have had more experience shooting in the rain.

Honestly, living in Portland, I am out in the drizzle all the time but I've only shot about 4 or 5 times with the rainsleeve on, birding with my 100-400 II and 7D2 combo. The rainsleeve is pretty thin, midway between a ziploc bag and a grocery bag. So, it's really easy to work through as far as pushing buttons, turning dials etc. are concerned.

Jun 04, 2016 at 03:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.