New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 600ii handholdability?

KINGOFKNGS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600ii handholdability?

Would anyone care to comment on handholdability of the 600ii vs 200-400? I currently have a 600IS V1 (and have used it extensively for bird photography for the past 6-7 years) and find it usable for handholding only in limited, short bursts, but find that I can handhold my 200-400 all day long while hiking and birding. The weights of the 600ii and 200-400 are about a half pound different. I'm finding that I'm enjoying handholding the 200-400 and would quite enjoy upgrading my 600ii. I imagine weight distribution may come into play and that is really where I'm looking for opinions.

Ryan

Jun 01, 2016 at 09:39 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600ii handholdability?

It's been a long time since I've used a 600 v1, but in my experience, the 800 was a significant improvement over the 600 I, and the 600II is a further improvement over the 800. As you mention, not only weight a factor, but the center of balance is much closer to the body with the 600II. This makes it much easier on the arms and shoulders.

I've probably spent about equal amounts of time handholding the 600II as on the tripod. With a good padded strap it's surprisingly portable, and can be used (in moderation) handheld for a session. As a point of interest, most people would consider me scrawny; it's more about your technique and developing the specific muscles required. There are definitely huge guys out there who can't hold a 600 steadily for any length of time without practise.

Jun 01, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600ii handholdability?

I have shot the Canon 200-400 quite a bit since it came out, including some hand holding for fast handling or when there is a lack of time to set up a gimbal head and tripod. I added the 600 f/4 II to my collection about 5 months ago, and have used it mostly on a gimbal or fluid head for long reach, often with extenders. I occasionally use it hand held, but it is a bit much for me to do that very often or very long. Besides the extra weight of the 600 II, the weight is a bit further forward, and that contributes to the difficulty of hand holding it.

Both lenses have excellent image stabilization, so if the shooting situation works for using it, that makes up for some of the issues of hand holding. Both lenses are very very nice in the image quality department. The obvious big difference is the zoom on one, and the reach with extenders on the other. For your mention of day long hiking and birding, and wanting to hand hold the lens for that, you likely should stay with the 200-400. If you also shoot a lot of distant stuff from a gimbal head, the 600 II might be worth getting, and then also using it for some hand holding also. Oh, and the 600 II has Mode 3 for image stabilization, which your current 600 does not. Some people find that very helpful, but I manage fine with Mode 1 most of the time.

I just ordered the 400 f/4 DO II, which when combined with the 1.4X and 2X version III extenders will be my hiking lens when I need reach. I will supplement the 400 DO with the 100-400 II for the closer subjects and for when I need zoom. One could argue that the weight of the 400 DO plus the 100-400 are about the same as the 200-400 or the 600, but in my case, I expect to hand hold the 400 DO much better than my 200-400. So, thought I would mention the 400 DO just to confuse you a bit and keep you on your toes. And remember, you can never own too much glass!

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:16 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600ii handholdability?

I handhold the 600v2 lots but after about 10-15 minutes I go find my monopod. But I have done it for 45 minutes with the polar bears. You can do it but its hard to do for long. But I would say the same about my 200-400.

So if you can handhold your 200-400 all day long (you must work out) you should be okay with 600v2.

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:17 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600ii handholdability?

600II weighs some more than 200-400L, it has more mass up front, and a much larger diameter. Therefore, 600 II is noticeably harder to use handheld than 200-400L, particularly when frequent and fast lens swings are needed for tracking.
(The control of rotational moments of inertia gets you with 600 II).
However, 600 II is still manageable OK, compared to 800L which is fairly difficult to shoot handheld whit frequent and quick swings.

I use 200-400L handheld without much hesitation for up to two hours of modestly intense BIF shooting , with 600 II there is more fatigue experienced sooner, while with 800L I begin to worry about my left shoulder re-injury from the shoot outset.

However, there is much ambiguity when we talk broadly about handheld use of these long lenses. There are several decisive factors buried in the manner of handheld use. For example, I could use 800L "handheld" all day if I sit down on a bench, hold the lens/camera in my lap, and raise it to fire perhaps every 20 minutes for 30 sec or so.

Now, if I go after a flock of terns in a feeding frenzy on a school of fish, and try to maximise the number of in-flight shots with 100-400 II lens hand-held, I'd probably start to ache real bad after only 1/2 hour of shooting.

Jun 02, 2016 at 05:47 AM
dugaut
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600ii handholdability?

Great comments I agree with here.

about 3/4 of a pound heavier for the 600 but it's fixed. You don't have to hold *and* twist the zoom ring as you would do with the 200-400. I find that makes a bit of a difference.

You will be surprised how light, relatively, the new 600 is. It doesn't "feel" like $12k.

Also Petkal's comments about front mass and diameter I'd reinforce. It's volume is significantly larger than the 200-400.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dugaut/27138543580/in/dateposted-public/lightbox/

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:24 AM
twodees
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600ii handholdability?

I'm 5'10" slim build and find the 600 II with a 1 series body handholdable to grab a couple of shots or a burst and that's it before the wobble starts. For sharp images I'd rather use support, be it fence post, down on one knee, bbag, monopod etc. Yes it's better balanced than the 500 I (my other long lens) and I find it easier to carry around than the 500 I but it is a noticeably larger beast, certainly a lot more unwieldy if shooting from a car or the sort of hides you find at reserves in the UK. IS is improved and AF does seem quicker.

Fair play if you're able to hh for longer periods.

Jun 03, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 600ii handholdability?

I do 90 percent of my shooting with the 600 II hand held, and I will be 60 next month.
It is not for everyone, but I have been shooting fast birds in flight this way since I started shooting birds. There are some images you will never get with the lens on a tripod. Biggest challenge is getting on
a fast bird with the 600 + 1.4 due to the small field of view. Once you loose the bird it's harder to get back on it than with a 500 or shorter focal length.

Jun 03, 2016 at 03:18 AM
KINGOFKNGS
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 600ii handholdability?

I appreciate the feedback. I'm a 6 foot tall 30 year old man who is far from scronny. I think the 600ii sounds like a no brainer upgrade. I'll be having to sell a 600 IS V1 and a 400 2.8 IS V1 to come up with the funds, but I think that it's a no brainer now that I've got the 200-400 (and a 100-400 V2). Hopefully this will happen soon before an upcoming pelagic trip in July.

Jun 03, 2016 at 05:14 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 600ii handholdability?

Compared to my 500 v1, the 600II is much better balanced for handholding. The 500 seem more front heavy, where the 600II seems more centered or slightly to the rear, which makes it actually feel lighter than the 500 v1. For BIF, I tend to yank the lens off the gimbal as I am more fluid handholding for BIF as oppose to the gimbal. The gimal, during BIF shots, becomes my porter for hold the rig. When the action starts, I yank and go. I've never shot the 200-400, so can't compare them.

Just One Man's Opinion.

Jun 03, 2016 at 10:52 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 600ii handholdability?

Mike Veltri has it right. The narrow field of view can be troublesome. Lots of practice helps. I use my 600mm mk2 handheld most of the time. It does get heavy after carrying for 5 or 6 hours and I can hold it on a bird for about 10 minutes at a time. I'm a couple of years older than Mike Veltri and am basically out of shape. (well, round IS a shape...) The Canon strap that came with the lens is very comfortable.
Get the 600, you can always 'trade down'.

Jun 04, 2016 at 06:44 PM
Volks1470
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 600ii handholdability?

I handhold the 200-400mm and the 600mm II everytime i go out. The one drawback to the 600mm II is that the weight is distributed differently from the 200-400mm. While you hold the 600mm II by the tripod handle, the front dips down and it's not as nice as the balance on the 200-400mm.

As far as shooting handheld, I don't notice much difference between the two when thinking back to it. Balance and weight are similar to me.

Jun 04, 2016 at 10:04 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 600ii handholdability?

I have both and have used both extensively. I do find the 200-400 a bit more easy to hand hold for extended periods of times but in truth, either should be able to be hand held without much issue. I am not a big guy and yet I routinely hand hold both of these. Now, if I had to hold either of these for an extended period of time waiting for a bird to take off I would probably wish for a tripod but otherwise it is not much of an issue. JMHO and actual results may vary
Eric

Jun 05, 2016 at 05:29 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 600ii handholdability?

When I hand hold the 600, I never use the handle other than to carry the lens.
One hand under the hood, the other on the camera.

Jun 05, 2016 at 06:00 AM
rdcny
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 600ii handholdability?

I handhold the 600mm II all the time - but I put it on the ground for several minutes at a time as well.

Remove the lens hood - that subtracts some weight (and resistance if panning) from the lens when handholding...and after 5 years of shooting this way for birds in flight in all parts of the world, I have not had any flare/sun problems.

Besides considering overall weight of the 600mm II (folks think of lifting and what that will do to one's arms/shoulders), gripping the foot for long stretches is a major consideration. If you carry that lens around even in a lowered position for long stretches, don't be surprised if your fingers swell and you have joint pain for several days (or even develop "trigger" finger).

Jun 05, 2016 at 06:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.