New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Out of Place

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of Place

The title refers to both the image as well as myself as this is not my normal style.
And well... no color issues.

I've never attempted to shoot a landscape with my "big gun" but I thought I'd give it a try.
I found out the hard way about the atmospheric distortion that I recall Ben describing once a long time ago in another thread.

I gave this one a try and hit it with a little blur adjustment to give it a smoother vibe to go along with the low level mist/fog in the valley areas. I didn't care much for the color version so I went with a mono to try an accentuate the fog a little more.

What say you? Yes? No? Maybe?

Dave

Mountain City

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:13 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of Place

lighthound wrote:
The title refers to both the image as well as myself as this is not my normal style.
And well... no color issues.

I've never attempted to shoot a landscape with my "big gun" but I thought I'd give it a try.
I found out the hard way about the atmospheric distortion that I recall Ben describing once a long time ago in another thread.

I gave this one a try and hit it with a little blur adjustment to give it a smoother vibe to go along with the low level mist/fog in the valley areas. I didn't care much for
...Show more

I'm not a landscape expert but I must say that I like this. There's a very ethereal feel to the photo with the clouds and the fog creating an erie mood. The undulating layers of rolling hills gives it a fantastical effect.

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:36 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of Place

Thanks Steve! That's exactly what I was trying to pull off with this one. When I first converted it it just looked like a converted color image but because of the lack of color it seamed natural to me to try and give it that Harry Potter(ish) kinda of vibe.

This is not my normal thing so I really wasn't sure if it would work, but it sounds like it did!
My wife wasn't too crazy about it but that might be because she's so use to my over saturated colors.

Dave

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:54 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of Place

Cool capture, Dave!

And welcome to the dark side. Now you can focus on the capture and not worry about those pesky "colors".

Image is looking a bit flat - definitely check your black point so you can create enough contrast between your shadows, mids and highs. I also adjusted midtone (gamma) to bring up the mids a little and then a tiny kiss of contrast.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:40 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of Place

beavens wrote:
Cool capture, Dave!

And welcome to the dark side. Now you can focus on the capture and not worry about those pesky "colors".

Image is looking a bit flat - definitely check your black point so you can create enough contrast between your shadows, mids and highs. I also adjusted midtone (gamma) to bring up the mids a little and then a tiny kiss of contrast.

Cheers!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! Glad ya liked it. I was amazed to see this through the view finder when I slapped this lens on and zoomed in. Standing there with your naked eyes you barely can see the city off in the distance as it's about 25-30 miles away. This shot makes it look like the city is actually in a mountainous area but it's actually not. Kinda crazy to see it like this.

Thanks for the edit, that does look better! I had it looking close to that at one point but then backed off a little because I was loosing details inside the darker areas. I need more play time with such images to get a feel for what works and how to get them to look like your edit. I mainly used just LR6 and then converted it in SEP, which I have zero experience with.

Dave

Jun 02, 2016 at 08:35 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of Place

lighthound wrote:
Thanks Jeff! Glad ya liked it. I was amazed to see this through the view finder when I slapped this lens on and zoomed in. Standing there with your naked eyes you barely can see the city off in the distance as it's about 25-30 miles away. This shot makes it look like the city is actually in a mountainous area but it's actually not. Kinda crazy to see it like this.

Thanks for the edit, that does look better! I had it looking close to that at one point but then backed off a little because I was loosing details
...Show more

THE POWER OF ZOOOOOOOM!!!

SEP is my method of choice, but when I'm at work or need to bust out a quick conversion I'll just use Gimp or PS.

B&W is a lot of S&P to taste from my experience.

Jun 02, 2016 at 09:14 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of Place

I like this comp alot! The layers of grays work beautifully and the subtlety of the original is my preference over the rework. I have a bit of trouble with the blur, especially as it occupies most of the real estate and prime subject. Perhaps on a heavily textured paper, moving even more impressionistically. But as is, it makes me want to squint. Want to post sans blur?

Scott

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:44 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of Place

sbeme wrote:
I like this comp alot! The layers of grays work beautifully and the subtlety of the original is my preference over the rework. I have a bit of trouble with the blur, especially as it occupies most of the real estate and prime subject. Perhaps on a heavily textured paper, moving even more impressionistically. But as is, it makes me want to squint. Want to post sans blur?

Scott

Dave:

One other thought I have is running with this in a slightly different direction as far as the background buildings. I feel that the "fantastical" and Harry Potter feel are lessened by all the buildings (civilization) in the background. Keep in mind that this is totally my personal thematic approach, so feel free to just ignore this idea if it seems crazy or doesn't hold water with your conceptual vision. I would clone out some of the buildings in the background to make it feel like civilization is not as prominent or close by. Crazy or credible, you won't hurt my feelings.

Steve

Jun 02, 2016 at 07:38 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of Place

sbeme wrote:

Scott

Thanks Scott! Good to hear my tonality wasn't too far off base in my OP. The blur was added to create the mood I was going for here. It seemed like a logical direction to go because this scene is almost not real because you don't see it like this with your naked eyes. It kinda threw me a little when I first saw this through the view finder and was as if I was looking into a different world.

Below is an unfinished colored version that I have here at work to give you an idea of where it started. You can see a good bit of atmospheric distortion on the buildings that were about 25-30 miles away. When I added the blur I did add it globally but then I put a few control points (NIK) on the buildings and the nearest forest areas to reduce the blur effect in those areas a little.

Dave
---------------------------------------------

eeneryma wrote:
Dave:

One other thought I have is running with this in a slightly different direction as far as the background buildings. I feel that the "fantastical" and Harry Potter feel are lessened by all the buildings (civilization) in the background. Keep in mind that this is totally my personal thematic approach, so feel free to just ignore this idea if it seems crazy or doesn't hold water with your conceptual vision. I would clone out some of the buildings in the background to make it feel like civilization is not as prominent or close by. Crazy or credible, you won't hurt
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. As you probably know, I'm not a big fan of any man made objects in landscapes but in this case, as the title suggest, the buildings are the key element in this image. They struck me as being "Out of place" among the vast wilderness. This quirkiness is what then led me to turn it into more of a surreal / mystical type image.

But again, I do feel a little "out of place" with images like this as it's not my normal thing so your suggestion is well taken and something I need to consider. Maybe take a few out toward the right side?

Dave

Unfinished color version

Jun 03, 2016 at 08:38 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of Place

Have you thought about a pano crop? I added a bit of "glow"
Socrate

Jun 04, 2016 at 10:30 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.