New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Af tune

rick2906
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Af tune

I bought lens align and calibrated all my lens! It is the best system. You are sure that the lense is parallel to the target with this system and you even have a confirmation cross to align the center af point on the target.

I use the dot tune method with the lens align target to get an idea of where the value was gonna fall.

After that, I did some testing with different value near the value dot tune gave me. This way I saved time and have really precise result with lensalign focus tune software.

I also use two flash with smal stripbox to light up the target and the ruler eliminating shutter speed problem(vibration)

I use mirror up mode, 3 sec delay with efcs and a release cable.

It makes it much more easier to align if you have a pan and tilt head for the target and the camera.

Make sure to use a sturdy tripod with a good head.

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:52 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Af tune

Meh. 'monkey tune in the field works for me. Takes 2 minutes and
doesn't cost a dime. If it makes you feel better layin' out the coin
and starting a thread...so be it, eh?!

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:00 PM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Af tune

Well it worked really good for me, I just wanted to share my experience.

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:51 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Af tune

Thanks for sharing. Yours, and a few other ways are all good.

Jun 01, 2016 at 07:01 PM
backdoorhippie
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Af tune

I've used that and Reiken FoCal. Prefer the latter. No matter which you use, even if it's a DIY system, just do it.

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:03 AM
Laslo Varadi
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Af tune

trenchmonkey wrote:
Meh. 'monkey tune in the field works for me. Takes 2 minutes and
doesn't cost a dime. If it makes you feel better layin' out the coin
and starting a thread...so be it, eh?!

I can't argue with success and your photos prove it. I am starting to think like you, even though I tried the LensAlign and the D500 AFFT, it seems like I still have to do minor tweaking based on results with real shots in the field..

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:59 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Af tune

Make sure the light level is at least 9EV, lower than that and the af precision gets worse.

I also think there are limits on how precise the testing needs to be, even with an ideal target phase detect af systems are typically less repeatable than one af fine tune step anyway.

Jun 02, 2016 at 07:00 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Af tune

I can't argue with success and your photos prove it. I am starting to think like you, even though I tried the LensAlign and the D500 AFFT, it seems like I still have to do minor tweaking based on results with real shots in the field..
There are many ways to skin this cat, thanks. Subtle tweaks with available working light/distance
will yield better results than any test chart...that'll only get you close (fine for hand grenades & horseshoes)

Jun 02, 2016 at 07:37 AM
rick2906
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Af tune

The way I did it is really time consuming but worth it imo. I took some pictures and it seems to be pretty good.

Jun 02, 2016 at 08:23 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.