New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

vallejo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Hi.
Just received this macro lens, and it has this double aperture ring, which in 30 years of photography I confess I never even heard about...can't find any hints on google, let alone a lens manual...
Any ideas?
Tks!

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:25 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

This is called a preset lens. You have to set one of them stopped down (limiter) to turn the other ring (actual aperture). This was created in a time when before auto aperture was around. So if you just want the full range of aperture control, just turn one all the way to 22. Otherwise, you can just move both together.

I'm just spewing my own theory and experience.

First result from Google for "preset lens"
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/85401-what-does-preset-mean-lens-description.html

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:34 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Interesting! Thanks Dude, I'll play around with it...quick test show a fenomenal resolution...

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:38 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

One of the rings controls the aperture and the other ring (the preset ring) makes a "stop point". Usually, you set the "preset" ring to the "taking aperture" that you want to use, say f/8. Then the aperture control ring (which is usually stopless and has a very light touch), rotates freely between maximum aperture (smallest f-stop value) and the preset point. This way, you focus and compose wide open, then simply rotate the aperture ring until it hits the preset stop, and take the photo.

I have the Mamiya-Sekor 60/2.8, which is basically the same lens. Well, my daughter has it, now. It's a very nice lens. I think there's a thread with sample images from it. I'll post it later if I can find it.

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:38 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Got it. This feature happens to be quite useful when manual focusing on modern mirrorlesses (I'm using it in a XPro2) as it makes easier to focus at smaller apertures...quite clever. A feature reborn, I guess...

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:07 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Dudewithoutape wrote:
This is called a preset lens. You have to set one of them stopped down (limiter) to turn the other ring (actual aperture). This was created in a time when before auto aperture was around. So if you just want the full range of aperture control, just turn one all the way to 22. Otherwise, you can just move both together.

Thanks for the explanation. I only heard of focus preset, but not this aperture preset.

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:13 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

I love preset lenses, especially well made lenses, yours looks very nice, hope to see pictures from it... Congrats.
From your picture, it looks like the preset is the 2nd from the front, and the aperture is the front one based on the circle and arrow which I understand to mean: Turn ring this way to open the aperture.

Jun 01, 2016 at 10:46 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Exactly. On the weekend I'll take it for a ride and put some pictures here...

Jun 02, 2016 at 05:41 AM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Here some test examples...ok, not the most inspired ones, but I was hungry, so...
Hand held, hi ISO, processed in Iridient...
This lens delivers...

Jun 02, 2016 at 05:42 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

Aperture preset is indeed a feature reborn for alt shooters. It's particularly useful when the lens is slow and DOF is narrow, both being charactistics of classic teles. My example is the Leitz Telyt 280/4.8 in Visoflex mount:

Aperture ring is in front (click stops), preset ring is behind (no click stops).

Jun 03, 2016 at 01:07 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

jcolwell wrote:
...I have the Mamiya-Sekor 60/2.8, which is basically the same lens. Well, my daughter has it, now. It's a very nice lens. I think there's a thread with sample images from it. I'll post it later if I can find it.

Here's the old thread,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/863874

Unfortunately, the uploaded images are no longer available, which seems to be common with old threads. I've attached some photos that are probably the same as are missing from the original thread.

The first two photos show the lens, followed by three images of some tulip petals.

Does your Tomioka have visible diaphragm blades when the lens is wide open (see second image, below) ?

The 1DsIII tulip petal photos show: (i) the petals at about 1:4 mag (full image), each petal is about 60mm long; (ii) the second image is at 1:1 (full image), and (iii) a 100% crop of the pollen in the centre of the second image. .

© jcolwell 2016

Mamiya macro Sekor 60/2.8 on Canon 1DsIII

© jcolwell 2016

Mamiya macro Sekor 60/2.8 aperture at f/2.8 (wide open)

© jcolwell 2016

Tulip petals at 1:4 mag.

© jcolwell 2016

Tulip petals at 1:1 mag.

© jcolwell 2016

100% crop from 1:1 mag. image

Jun 03, 2016 at 06:14 AM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

jcolwell wrote:
Does your Tomioka have visible diaphragm blades when the lens is wide open (see second image, below) ?

Yes.They're less pronounced than the one in your lens, but I can see them...

Jun 03, 2016 at 04:20 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help with Tomioka 60mm 2.8 Macro

I think it's sharp enough!

Jun 04, 2016 at 12:13 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.