New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Glacier National Park

sdwphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glacier National Park

Hi All--

I'm set for a first visit to Glacier at the end of July with two friends, and would love the input of the photographers here at FM before we go, as we are just beginning our research into the area. Everyone in the group is fit to hike and camp, so no restrictions there.

Questions:

Any great backcountry or "first come first served" campsites that should be on our list?

Favorite hikes?

Do you know of any areas that are off limits or damaged because of the recent fires, etc.? (I've read Triple Falls is inaccessible--true?)

Best locations for sunrise/sunset/night sky?

Any mid-day opportunities there or should we be napping ?

Resources on the area aside from the nps/.gov sites?

Anything else we should know/consider (in addition to bear safety)?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jun 01, 2016 at 03:33 PM
TomWitt

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glacier National Park

sdwphoto wrote:
Hi All--

I'm set for a first visit to Glacier at the end of July with two friends, and would love the input of the photographers here at FM before we go, as we are just beginning our research into the area. Everyone in the group is fit to hike and camp, so no restrictions there.

Questions:

Any great backcountry or "first come first served" campsites that should be on our list?

Favorite hikes?

The Highline Loop, Iceberg lake, Avalanche ​C​reek

Do you know of any areas that are off limits or damaged because of the recent fires, etc.? (I've read Triple Falls is inaccessible--true?)

Triple falls
...Show more

Jun 03, 2016 at 08:37 PM
sdwphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glacier National Park

Thanks. We are headed there about a week after you--7/28.

Jun 05, 2016 at 12:23 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glacier National Park

sdwphoto wrote:
Thanks. We are headed there about a week after you--7/28.

Ha, I'll be there then too.

Jun 06, 2016 at 12:53 PM
wjlapier
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glacier National Park

It's been a while but I believe you needed to reserve your back country trip well in advance to reserve those campsites.

That said, back in 1992 my wife and I backpacked from Two Medicine to St Mary in three days. Then got a ride to Many Glacier's, spent a night in the lodge and hiked to Logan Pass the next day. Be prepared for every kind of weather.

My favorite hikes over the years have definitely been to the passes. Dawson in the Two Medicine area. Peigan and Siyeh from the Going To The Sun road, Triple Divide Pass from the back country ( might require a two day hike in and out ), and Swift Current Pass from Many Glacier's. Once you get above the trees the views get more and more awesome!

My oldest when he was about 12 hiked with me to the first three passes I mentioned. We also climbed Divide Mountain ( to the top ) when he was 14. He immediately fell in love with hiking and being in the high country. Three years ago he climbed 6 mountains in 5 days--Clement and Reynolds in the same day running from peak to peak! Peigan and Pollock, and I think Swift Current.

Definitely check out the Many Glacier area. Trails might be closed due to bears so check into that often. Google Shangri-La and see what you think!

We will be in Montana first part of July. Staying at the KOA in St Mary in our RV. We have land up by Chief Mountain we will be working on most of the time.

I hope you find some great hikes. Start early so you can find a parking spot if you start at Siyeh Bend. Or better yet, take the shuttles.

Jun 26, 2016 at 09:02 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.