New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

ZoneV
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Last weekend I got the Trimagon 95mm 1:2.6 lens - a quite unusual lens.
The marketing says a lens special for portrait photography, this is what I wanted to do with it as first test.

Images made with that lens, wide open at f/2.6 on Sony Alpha 7II:

Meyer Trimagon 95mm/2.6 Portrait by Markus, auf Flickr
Here it is good to see that the bokeh is like the old Meyer Trioplan 100, perhaps not as pronounced.

Meyer Goerlitz Trimagon 95mm Portrait by Markus, auf Flickr
In this image I am quite happy with the sharpness, which is sometimes a concern with the old Trioplan 100 lens.

Here some more details about the lens from the new Meyer Goerlitz company:
http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/trimagon-f26-95-mm/?_ga=1.134232369.1590409139.1464630068

Jun 01, 2016 at 03:02 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Nice! MG delivered on their promise - a lens special for portrait photography! Dave

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:24 PM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Quite expensive. But seems more useful than the "new" Trioplan - at least it seems to improve on the weaknesses while maintaining some of the character. Is this an evaluation copy or did you buy one ?

Jun 02, 2016 at 09:43 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Soft focus retro portrait lens with completely uncorrected bokeh? Okay, sure, whatever, neat. I'll give you $120.

Huh? It costs WHATNOW?

--

I don't understand what these people are doing. At all. This is the second one of these in a row. Are people really paying these prices?

Jun 02, 2016 at 10:17 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

OpticalFlow wrote:
Quite expensive. But seems more useful than the "new" Trioplan - at least it seems to improve on the weaknesses while maintaining some of the character. Is this an evaluation copy or did you buy one ?

The shipping charge to the US of 200 Euros is particularly steep.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-Optik-Gorlitz-Trimagon-1-2-6-95mm-SN-029-made-in-Germany-f-Canon-/252408463507?hash=item3ac4b78093:g:wLwAAOSw0gdXTWtZ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyer-Optik-Gorlitz-Trimagon-1-2-6-95mm-SN-009-made-in-Germany-f-Nikon-/252408436740?hash=item3ac4b71804:g:UeIAAOSwwIZXTWTF

Rich

Jun 02, 2016 at 10:21 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

If I am going for a fully manual alt portrait lens, I think this is much more interesting:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/978-laowa105f2stf

Jun 02, 2016 at 12:47 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

dbehrens, yes, after some long wainting time for the Trioplan, this lens seem to be more in time ready. And it is nice that it really happend.

OpticalFlow, yes, I paid on no single lens that much money. Even not on the Canon FD 400mm f/2.8L or several Zeiss C/Y lenses together - good thing to buy used and abused lenses. I did not buy it, it is kind of evaluation.
I still like my classic Trioplan very much. I plan to do a comparison. While I think the Trimagon is a bit sharper, the Trioplan perhaps has the better pronunced bokeh. And I like this.
I am very happy about companies who gives us more choices. Especially here a new bokeh / sharpness combination. This is usefull for me.

Lee Saxon: The spherical aberration is the reason for this lens. Nearly one will buy a triplet lens 95 or 100mm with f/2.5 or 2.8 with full corrected spherical aberration. But the Trioplan 100 type of correction is quite helpfull for many photographers. See the classic Trioplan 100 prices, which are at the moment like 5 to 10 times higher than 2010.
But, yes, I do understand that many photographers are happy with neutral bokeh.

I do not know how many people will buy these new Meyer lenses at those prices. Those people I know who bought the new Meyer lenses did it on the Kickstarter campaign.

naturphoto1, this seems like a normal dealer, not the Meyer company. And it seems this dealer does not want to sell lenses to your country. Here in Germany is is zero shipping cost from that dealer.
Some USA Ebay sellers want ~USD 100 for shipping to Germany. I avoid buying their stuff.

Jun 02, 2016 at 02:41 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

ZoneV wrote:
dbehrens, yes, after some long wainting time for the Trioplan, this lens seem to be more in time ready. And it is nice that it really happend.

OpticalFlow, yes, I paid on no single lens that much money. Even not on the Canon FD 400mm f/2.8L or several Zeiss C/Y lenses together - good thing to buy used and abused lenses. I did not buy it, it is kind of evaluation.
I still like my classic Trioplan very much. I plan to do a comparison. While I think the Trimagon is a bit sharper, the Trioplan perhaps has the better pronunced bokeh.
...Show more

Looking at the Meyer website, they charge VAT prices for the lens which total 1699 Euros. I am not sure if they would sell the lens directly to the US without the VAT price. For the ebay listing they list the lens for 1599 Euros and 200 Euros for shipping.

Rich

Jun 02, 2016 at 03:24 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Maybe it's just me, but to have out of focus kinda blurred image like they have on their website, I'd rather apply a photoshop-like filter on a normal image than pay all this money for a lens...

Jun 02, 2016 at 04:32 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

nehemiahphoto wrote:
If I am going for a fully manual alt portrait lens, I think this is much more interesting:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/978-laowa105f2stf

Oh yes, apodization is very interessting!
I have made several DIY apodization filters for different lenses to get really smooth bokeh. The Laowa apodization lens is in fact really interessting for me, but I will not buy it now. Have made a Zeiss Visionar 108mm f/1.6 projection lens with apodization filter, this will be good enough for me I think.

Jun 03, 2016 at 10:54 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Another model, same lens and camera.
It seems like the Trimagon images need much less retouching for good skin. Have to look more exact in my images. Cause I do not like such work that much, and donīt want to make beauty retouching, I like lenses who help me to spend less time in front of my computer.

Soap Bubble Bokeh by Markus, auf Flickr

Jun 06, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Sorry...I see nothing in these images that I can't get from a bargain lens that's 1/10th the cost. A lot of the Konica Hexanons have similar spherical aberration wide open and a beautiful look, and they're a fraction of the cost. I just don't see where they get off charging this kind of price for a lens like this. Not very corrected, manual focus, simple optical design, not especially fast...and yet nearly $2,000 US?

From looking at these images, they look very similar to what comes out of a Jupiter 9...which goes for between $100 and $200 right now.

Jun 06, 2016 at 01:51 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

I havenīt compared my Jupiter 9 against the Trimagon - haver first to find it.
I think the Jupiter has less spherical aberration. So it gives sometimes (especially in near field) the soap bubble bokeh, but not reliable.

I have only experience with the Hexanon 57mm f/1.2, which is far away. Which Hexanon do you think is close to the Trimagon? A lot of lenses give such bokeh under som special conditions, but again not reliable - cause they have not as much spherical aberration.

Jun 06, 2016 at 02:49 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

I don't get it either, why would I want a background which is so distracting that the attention is lead away from my subject?

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:17 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

ZoneV wrote:
I havenīt compared my Jupiter 9 against the Trimagon - haver first to find it.
I think the Jupiter has less spherical aberration. So it gives sometimes (especially in near field) the soap bubble bokeh, but not reliable.

I have only experience with the Hexanon 57mm f/1.2, which is far away. Which Hexanon do you think is close to the Trimagon? A lot of lenses give such bokeh under som special conditions, but again not reliable - cause they have not as much spherical aberration.

My point isn't so much that you can get an identical look, but that you can get a similarly unique look with bokeh with character for SO much less. Is this look really so desirable to spend so much money just for this? For me, the look has character, but is no better than any of the hundreds of older lenses that also have character, but are a fraction of the price.

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:37 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

There are different bokeh types. Not every one works for all. The normal one is the usual one - most photographers like it most. Many even donīt know other bokeh types, and say bokeh when they better shoudl say blur.

Gaussian apodization is sometimes un-natural. Soap bubbles gives background structures, I love this for many images, not blur everything away, but use the structures there.

I know this soap bubble bokeh is much discussed, and many many photographers donīt like it. Furthermore they donīt like the prices for a simple triplet lens, and better invest in Double-Gauss or such.
For me this background works better here than normal bokeh, and the models like is as well. So I am fine.

When I want maximum blur I use fast lenses or lenses with big entrance pupils - and even a ultra large format camera. For different bokeh typs I use Petzval lenses, Helios 40, Defocus Control Nikkor 105 and for example the Trioplan and alternative ones. And I made apodization lenses.
As bokeh and blur lover I like to use quite different tools, so the Trimagon is just another tool.

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:41 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

I'm glad it works for you...that's all that's important.

Jun 06, 2016 at 03:52 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Jman13 wrote:
My point isn't so much that you can get an identical look, but that you can get a similarly unique look with bokeh with character for SO much less. Is this look really so desirable to spend so much money just for this? For me, the look has character, but is no better than any of the hundreds of older lenses that also have character, but are a fraction of the price.

I have not bought the Trimagon. My most expensive lens was under 1000 Euro for the Canon FD 400mm f/2.8. I look very much for cheap lens prices. I wil not buy the Trimagon 100 now, cause I would not spend that much money they ask for. I like used lenses with some scratches :-)
But the Trimagon is tempting. It seems like a tool with different look, more sharpness than the Trioplan. Very useful for women portraits. In case it reduces time on Photoshop for retouching it could be a tool for professional photographers, cause they need less time after the photo session.

Jun 06, 2016 at 04:05 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

It's interesting, but not $2000 interesting...
I think I'd rather use a Helios 40 at $500(or my Meopta Meostigmat 70/1.4 which is the same formula), or my CZJ 80/2.8 Tessar.

Jun 07, 2016 at 12:38 AM
ReyGay
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Meyer Trimagon 95mm f/2.6 - Images

Wuh, you can get the same effect using a Voightlander 135mm Dynarex lens for $80. The Dynarex is a much better lens but the bokeh is similar to this bloated priced lens.

Jun 08, 2016 at 04:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.