New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Humidity rating

Kolbasz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Humidity rating

Just curious, the 6d says Humidity: 0 - 85%, does that mean if you are in Florida and humidity is 94%, then you shouldn't be using it?

May 31, 2016 at 09:41 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Humidity rating

You should probably store it with silica jell or equivalent.

Using it would not be a issue but taking it in a cold air conditioned room from a warm high humidity area could condense water in the camera and lens, so carry desiccants in your bag or case to dry it out.

The issue of high humidity is one of understanding how to keep the moisture from condensing inside the equipment. Humid air does not hurt the equipment, water does if there are contaminants to make it corrosive or conductive. (they are going to be there in your camera and lens)

Jun 01, 2016 at 12:07 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Humidity rating

I live on Oahu in Manoa valley where humidity is often 80 to 90% and haven't had any gear problems due to humidity. If I'm in AC I make sure my gear is in the bag so it can gradually acclimate before pulling it out. If you take ah nekid camera straight from an air conditioned car to the field, it will be covered in condensation. Heck, even my sunglass form condensation in mere seconds.

Jun 01, 2016 at 12:44 AM
RexGig0
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Humidity rating

Here along the Texas coast, as with Florida, humidity will normally be higher than 85% for months at a time. I use my Canon equipment, anyway. Not ideal, perhaps, but I bought this equipment to use for photography, not for decorating our home. I will keep a cartridge of desiccant in the Pelican case.

Sudden condensation, caused by moving the camera/lens from a cooler environment to a warmer one, is, of course, best avoided. Our home is unequally cooled, so it is a best practice to store the cameras and lenses in a room that is closer to the outdoors temperature.

When moving by motor vehicle, a similar practice is a good idea. Keep the cameras and lenses away from the cold air blown by the AC, such as in the trunk/boot, or opt to forego AC, and drive with open windows. Actually, there is a middle ground, when driving relatively slowly, which is to direct the AC vents toward the center of the vehicle interior, and sling/place the camera near an open window. This may not win any prizes for environmental efficiency, but it keeps the vehicle from becoming an oven, which is particularly important if one has brought a canine friend. (I love my beautiful German Shepherd, who does an excellent job of over-watch while I concentrate on something.)

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:48 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Humidity rating

It's often 90%+ RH here in the Nova Scotia summer. No problems with my two 6D. I generally store them in camera bags with no moisture control. When they're not going to be used for a while, they go in a dry cabinet with most of my lenses.

Jun 01, 2016 at 09:01 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Humidity rating

In theory if it would be 100 % humidity in a camera body or lens that would be enough to cause short circuit in the electronics high humidity content accelerate corrosion on electronics while they are under current it is like soaking a camera in water .

Living near a ocean is even worst , sea air is very corrosive electronic don't do well with it and life expectancy of the electronic is shortened .

Francois

Jun 02, 2016 at 03:35 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Humidity rating

I live and work in Houston, and lately the humidity is waist deep. I do nothing special with my gear and I'm a photojournalist. The only thing I'm careful to do is to avoid having the AC blast directly on my gear before stepping out of the car. This is a sure way to get fogged optics.

Jun 02, 2016 at 05:17 PM
David Garcia
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Humidity rating

When storing lenses in a a dark place with a relative humidity of over 45%, the likelihood of devolving fungus is high. I don't worry too much about the body, but I do for the lenses. I always use silica gel in my bags and Damp Rid in my lens cabinet and I use these monitors below to keep the relative humidity between 35 and 45%. They work great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E81F3CQ/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_bFgJP_g201_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=0C7Y1XTPR9V1EYCKT562&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=0a1f0d22-475c-5ca3-adbd-d1a003d6a8de&pf_rd_i=3737571

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPPYU2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2C5UXFJXVWEOQ&coliid=I2SD0FMKMIPTYN&psc=1

Refills for these containers are available.

Jun 02, 2016 at 05:17 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Humidity rating

In the tropics a dry cabinet is an essential part of life.
You can get mold growing on things in a matter of 36 hours.
As David said its more about fungus than an electrical issue and having photographed in 100% plenty of times electrics isn't the problem.

Jun 05, 2016 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.