New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Leica Service Experiences

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica Service Experiences

It seems that Leica ownership is a bit on the rise as used digital bodies become more affordable. Sadly it appears that Leica service is way on the decline. I have several friends with many different Leicas and they all say the same thing "Leica customer service is a nightmare."

This article recently posted to Petapixel seems to confirm what all of my friends are saying: http://petapixel.com/2016/04/11/30-years-photography-ive-never-service-experience-like/

I suggest that we all share our experiences with Leica Service in hopes that they improve.

Post your experiences below:

May 31, 2016 at 08:48 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica Service Experiences

First of all, I hope we can keep this a productive thread.

I've had good and bad experiences.

Good was being able to arrange in-person visits for sensor cleanings and RF adjustments and each time pick up the camera by the end of the day (since I was 'passing through' the area).

Bad was having to send back the same lens (50 Lux ASPH) several times over the course of a couple years until they finally replaced the right parts to keep it from loosening up to the point of going all soft and glowy and losing RF calibration. But while there was finally resolution of that aspect of the lens's performance, it came back with the infinity hard stop focusing past infinity and the RF not reaching infinity... When informed about this, they questioned whether it might instead be my camera (though it was only the 50 Lux doing this) and requested I send back the lens AND my camera. I told them no dice if it's going to take 4-8 weeks like it typically did to service the lens, unless they provided a loaner. Never heard another peep from them... And since then they did not responded to any new inquiries about arranging service, until I sent an email from a different address I never used with them, and got an actual reply.... kind of weird. Maybe my original email address was getting caught in a spam filter? Or they ignored me...

I've had other stuff in previously and the pain was always the long service times. You spend a lot (A LOT!!) of money on the gear for it to then be unavailable while it sits unproductively in their service queue. It just doesn't jive with the premium nature of the brand. The in-store service is great. The gear is great... until something goes wrong. Then it's like you paid your money and suddenly you're dealing with a totally different company that can't get its act together and makes you suffer its incompetence.

The above is primarily referring to Leica US. I've had some dealings with Leica Germany too, when I was from time to time in Germany. I used their premium 'express' service that guaranteed service turnaround within the EU of 2-3 days plus shipping time. They kept the promised turnaround time, fixed the original problem, but introduced a new one, so it had to go back again the next time I was in Germany...

The general feeling I have about Leica US's service quality is how I felt about Canon Canada's CPS program back in the mid 2000s before the huge Americas CPS revamp. It sucked. Period. Slow turnarounds, multiple trips to fix one problem. Lack of loaner availability. I had to maintain a fairly redundant system. I.e. a couple 1D series bodies and relevant lenses. Fast forward to now. I pay $250 annually, but I get turnarounds in the range of several days rather than weeks, immediate loaners and less need for system redundancy. Sure, I still have backups, but I don't feel compelled to keep multiple current generation bodies on-hand, which saves me some money.

Whatever Canon did to totally turnaround their CPS program, Leica should do similar. At the least, some sort of professional services option to expedite repairs for those who rely on the equipment for their livelihood. Or if they can't cut turnarounds, guarantee loaner availability. If I have a loaner, I don't care if it takes them six months. It's their problem. But since I can never get loaners from them, I'm the one who suffers.

I requested a loaner when my 50 Lux ASPH was in last year, yet again, and I had a number of shoots coming up... they said it might be possible, so I sent it in. When I inquired about the loaner after they received my lens, I was informed they could 'maybe' send a 75 Summarit... WTF?! This is a prime reason why I haven't sold my ZM lens collection, which I bought as a 'starter kit' when I first got into Leica. IIRC, Allen bought a ZM35/2.8 to tide him over while his 35 Lux FLE was at Leica.... Given the poor state of service, if you rely on the gear, you really do need to maintain sufficient redundancy. With it being Leica, that's of course an expensive proposition...

Every time I've visited Leica NJ to drop something off and mentioned the horrible turnaround times, the CSR has apologized profusely and confirmed they're well aware and working to improve it. I honestly wonder if they'll ever turn it around?

So, yes, I have things to gripe about, in respect to service (repair) experiences, but I want to reiterate that it's about the only thing marring an otherwise generally great experience with the equipment and Leica staff I've dealt with in person, either in NJ or at various Leica stores. I really do enjoy using my Leica system. A lot. Unfortunately I can't rely on it 100%.

Shooting Leica sometimes feels like a masochistic experience. There's a lot of joy from the experience, but also a certain amount of pain you're forced to endure. It could be odd camera quirks, or the terrible service experiences. But it's like you're forced to suffer for the privilege.

May 31, 2016 at 10:18 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica Service Experiences

I read that article and I do feel for him. I really do think that this is a significant area that will hold Leica back, especially if they wan't the adoption of the SL in the pro market.

I had a 90mm Summarit away for 9 months for a simple calibration. Apparently the service agent in Oz couldn't do it so after a month sitting on a shelf it went to Germany. It came back and had dust, so back to Germany. It came back clean but out of calibration, so back to Germany.

I had to threaten Leica Australia with legal action after my 135APO came back for the third time still not fixed. Leica Australia were actually very good but they farm out the repairs. Most annoying was that on the fourth time in the repair didn't get priority AND when finally done it missed a regular courier by a day and sat there for 6 more days before being shipped. 3-4 weeks each time plus me going to Sydney and back for drop off/pick up which is two hours each way. The repair docket had a snippy comment from the repairer about it being a "minor" fault. after the fourth time in. I would have though after the first couple of times it wouldn't have ANY fault. Although it was repaired I lost trust in it and sold it immediately after making sure the buyer wasn't getting a lemon.

Both my M9's had sensors replaced at least twice. One was away for 20 weeks. One of them went in for a calibration and CLA but ended up waiting 4 months for a new sensor and i still got charged $300 for the calibration. When the camera came back the infinity was out. So I fixed it myself in 20 minutes.

As far as I'm aware Leica don't have a "pro" service in Oz. And I now have standing orders with Leica Australia that nothing of mine is to be even touched or inspected by the local service agent. So, i have doomed myself to a minimum 3-4 month wait for anything to be fixed. I have learned to accept that anything I need serviced will be away for a long time. However I was very pleasantly surprised when my type 240 was calibrated and returned in 6 weeks recently. That's a record for a trip to Germany. And while the M9 was problematic I can say I've had no issues with later cameras or my lenses, now they're all sorted. I think that the M9 was a real issue for Leica and the massive sensor replacement issue caused real reliability issues. Newer cameras seem to have a far smaller failure rate. And if a lens is good it tends to stay that way forever, mostly.

Since my big kerfuffle with Leica i've had no issues except the mentioned M240 calibration. The best service is when nothing breaks. Touch wood i'll be OK for a while.

The bottom line is that Leica is a boutique camera brand with hand assembly. That means that repairs are slow and labour intensive. dealers should be informing customers of this on the way in. then it's not a shock if service is needed. I think they try to do the right thing. Every repair has had a full service included. But they just don't have the resources to be fast like a Canikon. Once the M9's have all been upgraded to the new sensor I think their reputation for later cameras reliability will improve slowly.

Gordon

May 31, 2016 at 11:27 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica Service Experiences

My advice to everyone, do not have your pieces serviced anywhere but Germany. Leica will discourage you to do that, so do not contact them beforehand. Just download and fill in the repair form, and ship the item to Wetzlar. I have exactly the same problem with Zeiss. I know in advance that any problem means a costly trip to Germany but so far I've had only good experiences when I shipped directly to Leica or Zeiss. Do not waste your time with regional service centers, they suck.

May 31, 2016 at 11:39 PM
telyt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica Service Experiences

My R8 racked up many thousands of Frequent Flier miles over the course of a year to fix a sluggish aperture stop-down mechanism. It was a problem that was obvious by taking one or two exposures.

My original 280mm f/4 APO is a spectacular lens when it doesn't have a sticky aperture mechanism. Unfortunately it requires service every two years (I can set my calendar by it) and each time the lens takes a 4 to 6 month vacation. That's up to 25% downtime. And it has returned with caps missing and the camera-side aperture lever disconnected from the diaphragm (an easy fix but I shouldn't have to fix a lens that just came out of the box from the service center).

I wish some other lens produced the image quality this one does. I've obtained a second 280 APO to cover the first one's downtime.

Jun 01, 2016 at 12:04 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica Service Experiences

I wonder if service is any different if you have a Leica S and are perceived as more of a "professional."

Jun 01, 2016 at 02:40 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica Service Experiences

I have very good experience with their service.

Old M8, in a very used state send in only for calibration 1 month before I left for a holiday. Came back in time all cleaned (and spot on) with all the back buttons replaced, speedknob refitted and the on off switch refitted for free. Felt like I had a new camera.

Any question I have came back answered quickly.

Jun 01, 2016 at 03:59 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica Service Experiences

I have mixed feeling about their service. I would say it is not very professional but very friendly.

The service is slow and communication is lacking. I feel the reason most likely is they must be underwhelmed for all the service requirement that support lots of gear range from M, S, Q, SL, T, PS even R and 50 year old M etc. and Leica is known for its reliability issues.

Many times, I have to CC my service requests to service manager to get a response about the question or status.

On the other hand, each time I request a service for my S, they send me loan UNIT even without asking my warranty status. This is something only happen with Leica I guess.

Funny thing is I have to send multiple requests to have them send me the returning shipping label to ship back loaned S007. If I am not asking, nobody want the 007 and S lens loaner back it seems. I have shoot both for a while(month) even with they send me back my CLAed S006. BTW, nobody tell me that my service is done, when is done, the returned lenses and body just show up one day in front of my door. In the mean time, I don't care since I have a S007 loaner and 70mm Loaner along with a few Contax645 lens to play.

They seems managing the company (Leica USA) in very old fashion way like film days, which I don't know it is a bad thing or good thing, but I have to say it is one of the reason I love this company and decide to be their loyal customers. I know other than service timing and poor communication, your Leica products are always under covered, not professional but like a family.

During a camera fair in bay area a few years back, I met a photographer (who know a lot history about this company) tell me many stories about Leica company and Leica USA, it is all good and melt your heart.

I still have endless complain about they product and feel they might facing another challenge to survive but I have to say I love this company.

From mobile.

Jun 01, 2016 at 04:23 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica Service Experiences

I received a 180/3.4 APO-Telyt-R with a cracked rear shroud and an apparently-improperly-connected aperture ring which wouldn't turn past f/8.

At first I thought the cracked shroud was simply jamming the ring [it worked with the shroud removed], so I emailed Leica USA about a replacement part and received an immediate response and was sent the part (free!) in a few days. So that was a very positive experience.

However, the shroud didn't fix the problem so I sent the lens in. It took over a month before I was emailed an estimate, and I had two unanswered emails requesting an update over that month. So that was a less positive experience. I haven't actually gotten the lens back yet so I can't comment on the repair work itself.

Jun 02, 2016 at 03:40 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica Service Experiences

canerino wrote:
It seems that Leica ownership is a bit on the rise as used digital bodies become more affordable. Sadly it appears that Leica service is way on the decline. I have several friends with many different Leicas and they all say the same thing "Leica customer service is a nightmare."

This article recently posted to Petapixel seems to confirm what all of my friends are saying: http://petapixel.com/2016/04/11/30-years-photography-ive-never-service-experience-like/

I suggest that we all share our experiences with Leica Service in hopes that they improve.

Post your experiences below:

So far I never used any Leica service, so I can't judge or comment on it. But reading the article was interesting. Some reasons why I decided for now to stick to film with my recently purchased M6 are also mentioned in this article - price, camera size, potential sensor and service issues with digital Leica cameras.

I believe that every camera brand had a time where it had its most success with specific camera models - and this doesn't mean that later models are bad, just that they will always be compared with those earlier successful models and how the company did at the time. In Leica's case this certainly was the M6 (among other film based M versions) and in digital with the monochrome M. Leica was extremely successful with film based rangefinder cameras but struggled sort of since to implement digital technology as smoothly as others did. Changes in the company itself - sale of Leica to different owners in the past 10 years - certainly didn't help to improve in service outside of Germany either.

Jun 02, 2016 at 08:07 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica Service Experiences

The only dealing I've had with Leica service was getting a couple of shims I'd damaged when changing a Lux-R 35 back to R mount. They sent them for free, so I'm certainly not complaining.

Having read the original article, though, I'm surprised. I thought you RF guys all calibrated your own RF mechanisms. A friend of mine told me he'd be sending his M9's (when they were Leica's current camera) in after every trip if he depended on them for calibration.

Jun 02, 2016 at 06:09 PM
Stephen G
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica Service Experiences

Had good experiences myself..

1) 2010 Had a used M8 with a bad prong adapter for the battery charger,. they mailed me the part free anyway.

2) 2014 Shortly after getting my new M240, something in the light meter / shutter assembly went bananas.. had to be sent in to Leica NJ.. got it back in a month, parts replaced, cleaned and good as new.

It was much more of a personal touch type experience, and I know they are selling A LOT more gear than they did 3-5 years back, so maybe it isn't scaling well.

On the other hand, at least you aren't dealing with a mega-corp that only takes service requests via online forms that send yo through some ticketing-system-from-hell.

Data point from that side of the fence - I spent 3 weeks dealing via phone/email/webform with Sony before they conceded they don't stock a replacement part for 6 month old $300 headphones... so that was nice.

Jun 02, 2016 at 10:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica Service Experiences

flash wrote:
And while the M9 was problematic I can say I've had no issues with later cameras or my lenses, now they're all sorted. I think that the M9 was a real issue for Leica and the massive sensor replacement issue caused real reliability issues. Newer cameras seem to have a far smaller failure rate. And if a lens is good it tends to stay that way forever, mostly.

Yes, IF a lens is good.... I just had an interesting experience with a new lens right out of the box: severe back focus relative to the rangefinder. I.e. rangefinder focus at near MFD results in actual focus several feet behind subject. Rangefinder focus on something across the street and the lens focuses past infinity. Using live view, that object across the street can be focused sharply, but the focusing ring has to be set to 5 feet, rather than ~50. Oh, and the RF patch would kind of hang at around 4 feet on the focusing ring where there'd be no RF patch movement for some time even though the focusing ring was being turned, then you could hear the camera's RF roller release and spring back into action (and see the RF patch jolt back to where it should be). Very, very weird. Comparing it visually against a second copy and no one in the store could see any obvious differences between the two in RF cam position, shape, etc. Second copy focused fine, but test photos still need to be evaluated. There are hints the left side may be softer than the right side...

While I was in the store, another customer arrived to pick up his M240 repair. I didn't stick around long enough to see if the repair was done correctly, but turnaround time was rather long, despite the store owner pestering Leica to get it done.... It was sent to Leica in April... Store owner thinks the service department is bogged down with M9 sensor replacement work.

Michael: that's exactly my point about loaners. I guess good to see at least S owners get them. Wish it was also the case for M repairs, but then Leica would have to maintain a multi-million dollar came and lens inventory!

Jun 02, 2016 at 11:51 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica Service Experiences

Edited on Jun 06, 2016 at 06:04 AM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2016 at 12:42 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica Service Experiences

During 10 years period, I had some experiences with Leica, too

1. Sent back a 50 Summicron-R for repair. It was dropped, but luckily only the mount was damaged. Leica charged me $350 for the parts & labor. This lens was also converted to ROM.

2. Sent back my 70-180 for optical adjustment. The lens was returned in 2 month but only got little improvement over IQ. It was sent back to Solm again. This time they restored its optical performance, but the white dot (not RED dot) from aperture ring was missing! It's actually a drilled hole filled with white paint. After all, I decided to live with that. It cost me $450 for the repair.

3. Sent back my 105-280 for stiff focus adjustment. It came back in 2 month, and problem solved. However, the cost is beyond my expectation - $750 for focus adjustment!

To me, Leica service is fine. I have a strong feeling that they hire some 3rd parties for lens repair job. So, it may depend on who services your gear.

Jun 03, 2016 at 01:28 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica Service Experiences

My experiences:

1. Back in 2011, sent in my M9, 50 Noct, 21 Lux and 35 FLE to get the rangefinder calibrated, turned around in a couple of weeks, had perfect focus especially with the Noct. All done at no cost.

2. Last year sent in my S120 where the AF had failed, took 3 weeks to go to Germany to and come back fixed (no cost). Sent my S180 to have the AF adjusted (not the same type of failure as the 120 and out of warranty), came back and works perfectly, paid $240.

Jun 03, 2016 at 10:59 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.