Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Camranger causing damage?

jalamiller

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camranger causing damage?

Anyone had a Camranger damage their camera? I've got a 6D that I had to send in for $300+ in repairs after using the Camranger with it. The electronics just went nuts after a while. None of the buttons did what they were supposed to and other issues. Anyway, I started using the Camranger on the 6D after repairs and it gave me signs of very similar issues. I stopped using the CR immediately and my camera still works, but I am wondering if the CR is potentially the cause of my issues. Anyone have anything similar to report?

May 31, 2016 at 03:42 PM
jalamiller

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camranger causing damage?

I sent my Camranger back to have CR check it out. They found nothing. When I got it back, I hooked it up to my Canon 6D again. After using it for a couple of minutes my ISO changed to 500 by itself. I immediately disconnected the CR and everything worked fine on my 6D. I am really bumming because the two things are not working together right. Anyone see similar things at all?

Sep 12, 2016 at 07:45 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camranger causing damage?

I know a number of people using CamRangers and haven't heard of anything like this. I use my CamRanger with Canon 1D Mark IV, 7D Mark II and 5DSR cameras—controlled using either an iPad2 or MacBook Pro—and the only shortcoming I've found is that file transfers are miserably slow (unbearable with the 5DSR), so I don't let the CamRanger transfer files—I only use it for control.

If it's any help, I always connect the CamRanger to the camera with the CR turned off, and I turn it on after making the physical connection.

How is your USB cable connected to the camera? Did Canon supply a little stabilizing clamp, and if so, are you using it? LensRental's disassembly notes for several newer Canon bodies indicate possible fragility of the USB connectors. I always dangle my CamRanger from the tripod's centerpost hook or another rigid connection, and I make sure that the cable's got a little slack. I NEVER just let the CamRanger hang loose.

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:18 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camranger causing damage?

uh oh - seems like there have been various issues, mostly not connecting

https://www.google.com/#q=Camranger+camera+settings+issues

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:47 PM
jalamiller

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camranger causing damage?

Hi Abbott. I hang the CR from the tripod using a clip on the little pouch that comes with it so there isn't any stress on the cable. I should remember to probably have both the camera and CR off when I connect. I LOVE the CR and am really bumming that I'm having these issues. I've got a 7D I will test it on more, but I really want to use the full frame for my landscape work.

One tip, when you use the CR set your camera to also take medium resolution JPG files. Those will transfer but not the huge raw files. That should help you out.

Thanks for the comments and help.

Sep 13, 2016 at 02:59 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camranger causing damage?

Thanks for the helpful tip, but for my general application there's no way I'm going to transfer files to CR. I often use it for controlling the camera while photographing birds-on-nest or other wildlife portraits. Unfortunately the delay between being able to re-release the shutter via CR is long enough. Adding image download time renders the CR useless and has sometimes made me think about just tethering the camera via Capture One or EOS Utility to get more responsiveness. Other than that, I really love the CamRanger.

Sep 13, 2016 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.