New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 versus D7200

LeifG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 versus D7200

I own a D600, but I want a higher pixel count DX camera, primarily for micro work, but other uses too, so I will buy one of the above. I bought the D200 when it came out, as there was then no good alternative. My D600 is awesome, and handles highlights far better than the D200, although I'm not keen on the DX mode.

It looks like the D7200 is a hell of a camera, and I see no compelling reason to buy the D500. Have I missed something or are the key advantages of the D500 the AF, frame rate and buffer depth? From what I have read the D7200 is no slouch in the AF department. The D500 flip out LCD is nice, and would help me a fair bit. Is the viewfinder image comparable or noticeably brighter? I do prefer the pro-camera button layout, but I'm not paying a large wodge just for that! It looks like the D500 is superb, but really aimed at the pro and high end needs amateur.

Incidentally, any decision will be taken in a few months time, by which time D500 gremlins should be sorted, or at least known about, and my guess is that the price will have dropped a lot. The D7200 looks to be a stable camera, and UK specimens can be bought new for ~£600 compared to ~£1700 for a D500.

May 31, 2016 at 03:26 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 versus D7200

Strictly for Micro work I don't think you will notice much of a difference between the D500 and D7200. The D7200's resolution advantage is under 10% so I wouldn't worry about that either. There is potentially some money to be saved there. In fact if all you are doing is micro work, you could get a D5300/D5500, save even more money, and get your swivel screen back.

For most other things, the D500 is objectively better, keeping in mind that the D7200 is already quite good. AF, FPS, buffer depth, etc. are all significantly better. Viewfinder is better on the D500 (100% coverage with 1.0X magnification). Viewfinder brightness has a lot to do with the lens attached. Think of it like a mini D5. If you don't need all those things (considering also that the D7200 is no slouch), then you can probably save $1000 or so. If you want the best crop sensor camera available, swivel LCD, 'pro' layout, and a more future-proof body, the D500 is the easy choice. If you just want a high MP DX body for macro shots, and for it to still be capable elsewhere, it would be hard to fault the value proposition of the D7200.

May 31, 2016 at 03:46 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 versus D7200

Thanks. I do wonder if in practice the viewfinder seems brighter. I believe the magnification figure is the linear value.

It looks like the aperture can be varied during live view unlike the D600 and D7200 I think. I can't find if there is an electronic shutter, as per the D70. I do photomicrography which could use that feature. It looks like if the shutter is tripped in live view, you avoid the vibrations from opening the mechanical focal plane shutter, presumably it electronically empties the charge wells just prior to the exposure start.

Yes, I view it as a DX D5, which is why I am wary. Incidentally the D5500 lacks mirror lock up, sadly, hence it is useless to me. And the swivel LCD would interfere with an l-bracket which would be permanently on the camera. That explains the D500 LCD design ie it does not articulate as per the consumer bodies.

May 31, 2016 at 04:45 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 versus D7200

LeifG wrote:
Thanks. I do wonder if in practice the viewfinder seems brighter. I believe the magnification figure is the linear value.

It looks like the aperture can be varied during live view unlike the D600 and D7200 I think. I can't find if there is an electronic shutter, as per the D70. I do photomicrography which could use that feature. It looks like if the shutter is tripped in live view, you avoid the vibrations from opening the mechanical focal plane shutter, presumably it electronically empties the charge wells just prior to the exposure start.

Yes, I view it as a
...Show more

The D500 has aperture control within LV and an EFCS, whereas the D7200 does not. The D5500 lacks MLUP but it does have the exposure delay mode, which accomplishes the same thing esp when used in combination with timer mode or remote release.

May 31, 2016 at 04:49 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 versus D7200

Thanks. As I understand it the D5500 MLU works with a 2 second delay following the remote release, which for my purposes is not useable. And as mentioned the articulating screen interferes with an L-bracket making it useless. Sadly.

There are online discussions that the EFCS on the D810 has issues for some people, something to do with Nikon Remote maybe, hopefully the manual is online so I can check the details.

It is looking as if the D500 has some features that make it worth the extra wodge for my purposes.

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:32 AM
ArendV
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 versus D7200

I find the liveview quality on the D500 much better than on my D7100 which should be similar to the D7200. Not only because of the higher resolution LCD but it seems less "nervous".That together with the swivel LCD is a big plus for me in macro where I always manually focus in liveview.

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:57 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 versus D7200

Thanks. I checked the manual, and EFCS can be enabled via a menu item such that when the mirror is up, the EFCS is used. Brilliant!

Jun 01, 2016 at 07:19 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 versus D7200

The D7200 will not disappoint. Handheld heavy crop from 58 yds out.
Taken with the Sig Sport at o' dark thirty...

Jun 02, 2016 at 09:47 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 versus D7200

If you're buying it primarily for macro, the D7200 seems like the obvious choice. Although to play devil's advocate, I just picked up a used D800 for about $100 more than a new D7200 would cost. In some ways, the D800 series in DX mode are superior to the D7X00 cameras.

Jun 02, 2016 at 10:32 AM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 versus D7200

I thought about a D800 as I can pick up a mint one for a song, albeit more than a D7200. But I already have a D600 and I don't really like the DX mode, so I'd rather have the D7200 and D600 than a D800. The D600 is beautiful and enough FX for me. I was using it at the steam railway across the road from my house, and I was very impressed with the results. The DX body is not just for macro, although the EFCS and tilting screen are very useful for the microscope. Currently I have to stand on a chair and look down on the LCD screen in live view to focus. I think Will's right that the D7200 will not disappoint, so I'll sleep on this one for a while, at least until the D500 beta testing period is over.

That bird looks to have been in a fight or few!

Jun 02, 2016 at 01:46 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 versus D7200

I owned the D7200 and it is an exceptional camera in terms of image quality and autofocus performance - very close to that of my D750. I now own the D500 which I purchased solely to get the improved autofocus system for photographing birds in flight. For anything else in terms of nature photography the D7200 would be better.

The D7200 has dual SD card slots, the built in flash with the Commander function and 24MP DX versus 20.9MP DX with the D500.

For macro work my first choice would be a used D800e followed closely by the D7200. Both are incredible values at their current price.

Jun 03, 2016 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.