Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Rules & Guidelines | Uninsured Payment Alert!
How to post Feedback | How to Red-Flag a thread

NEVER use Paypal Gift, Venmo, Zelle, Apple Pay, Google Pay or any other uninsured payment!

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

nnachappa64
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Canon 6D, 16-35mm, 70-200mm, 24mm TS-E

Wanted

Payment method: PayPal
Item condition: 10 Preowned equipment, but appears as new

Hello Everyone,

On Sunday, May 22nd, I had all my camera gear stolen from a Dodge Journey which I had rented while I was on vacation with my family near Bayside Marketplace.

I had recently purchased my full-frame kit and many lenses right here from FM and this disaster happened.

I would like to use this community to reach out to people or help with recovering my lost gear. I called some pawn shops but none have a camera on sale.

The serial numbers are as follows:
Canon EOS 7D 2171102607
Canon EOS 6D 42024011344

Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM 2601110382
Canon 24mm TS-E f/3.5L 32920
Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS USM 3720002422
Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS USM 282112
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM 9021100944
Gura Gear Bataflae 26L Camera Backpack (Green)

Any help in finding lost gear will also help.

Thank you so much.

May 31, 2016 at 02:40 PM
mclldavidson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

I suggest craigslist, offerup and letgo. Offerup and letgo are both apps but you can go to their website and browse any location you want

May 31, 2016 at 02:45 PM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Thank you! I've been desperately searching Craigslist but I wasn't aware of the other two websites. I will keep an eye out on that as well.

May 31, 2016 at 02:55 PM
jimithing

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

That really sucks man. Do you have everything registered with Canon? I wonder if there's a way you can mark them as stolen in their system in case anyone ever tries to get them warrantied or serviced. It's worth calling Canon to find out.

Was the car rented with a credit card? You might try calling your credit card company to see if they automatically offer any insurance for these kinds of things when you're renting a car. Otherwise maybe try your homeowner's insurance policy?

May 31, 2016 at 03:16 PM
GRM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

That is a big loss. Hopefully you'll find them. Curious, how come you know all those serial numbers?

May 31, 2016 at 07:18 PM
phaedon
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Best of luck finding your gear.

May 31, 2016 at 07:41 PM
mclldavidson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

I cant speak for him but everything I buy I enter into my buy/sell/trade google doc spreadsheet.
It has all the info I would ever need, where I bought it, when, contact info, serial numbers and much more info

May 31, 2016 at 08:29 PM
Chdwil
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

GRM wrote:
That is a big loss. Hopefully you'll find them. Curious, how come you know all those serial numbers?

Probably the warranty cards.

May 31, 2016 at 08:33 PM
rtread
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

mclldavidson wrote:
I cant speak for him but everything I buy I enter into my buy/sell/trade google doc spreadsheet.
It has all the info I would ever need, where I bought it, when, contact info, serial numbers and much more info

I also have all my serials wrote down and kept in my safe. I also take pics of my gear just in case.

A few summers ago a kid that lived next door kicked in my door.. I just knew when I found out that I was broke into my gear (my husband was more worried about guns) was gone. thank god they got scared when they kicked in the door and left without taking anything. But it scared me enough to start keeping a list and documenting.

I really hope you find your gear. I would also reach out on Facebook. Post in yard sale type groups in that area. If it is a big city, I'm sure there are 100's of them, your gear could already be posted on there.

Good luck

rania

May 31, 2016 at 08:37 PM
Buckeye1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Sorry to hear of your loss; that happened to me two months ago in Oakland. Someone told me about this website called IFTTT.com. Basically, it is an "If" and "then" website to help you find things. So google that and then do your own if and then. I did mime so that I get an email alert for every craigslist ad from the SF and surrounding area. You will get lots depending on where you are searching for. Good luck. If you do find something that looks suspicious, then contact the local police station where you have filed your incident. They can contact the seller and force them to provide the serial number. If they don't, the police can get more information on the seller by contacting CL.

May 31, 2016 at 08:41 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

jimithing wrote:
That really sucks man. Do you have everything registered with Canon? I wonder if there's a way you can mark them as stolen in their system in case anyone ever tries to get them warrantied or serviced. It's worth calling Canon to find out.

Was the car rented with a credit card? You might try calling your credit card company to see if they automatically offer any insurance for these kinds of things when you're renting a car. Otherwise maybe try your homeowner's insurance policy?

Canon does not share any information. I called them once when I was looking at some equipment off of Craigslist which was very cheap and I was suspicious. I also called all the local law enforcement offices. They don't really look up any information for you, not any of them.

Good luck with getting yours back and that isn't sarcasm. I know there have been people who used some of the available sites with success. There is I believe a way to search exif data for serial numbers thru some sites but I don't recall exactly how it's done, just that I've read of people using it successfully.

Jun 01, 2016 at 01:12 AM
kparseg
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

There was a similar FM thread about stolen Nikon gear in Tampa area just few days ago. I guess someone is quite active in FL stealing photo equipment these days. Guys beware.

Jun 01, 2016 at 03:22 AM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Thank you all for your support and suggestions!

There is quite some backstory to all this. I do have insurance through State Farm. I have the Personal Articles Policy.

But, I had that for my older gear (7D, 11-16mm, 100mm etc) which was $3700. I had informed my agent about my plans to buy new gear (6D, 16-35, 70-200 etc) on May 11th. After I found them (all used), they shipped and reached me it was the week of May 16th. I sent my agent an excel sheet of all my gear with serial numbers and costs etc on Friday (5/20/2016). She was out of office on that day and this happened on Sunday.

So, I'm still not sure if State Farm is going to cover me for this. My agent thinks they should but I guess I'll have to wait for their system to get updated with my new gear and only then claims can take a look at it.

Nevertheless, I would still like to get my gear back. This trip was the first time my parents came to the US and it's very memorable for me. I lost all those photos so I'm not ready to give up on the gear yet.

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:00 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Good luck with this. I saw it on the /r/photography sub. I'm also from Miami like I posted on there, but haven't come across anyone selling this stuff. Will keep an eye out.

Jun 03, 2016 at 01:59 PM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Thank you Max! I've tried to contact pawn shops in the area and don't get a good response from any of them.

Jun 03, 2016 at 02:00 PM
Vksrik
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Sorry to hear !! Usually these people Pawn it for money, then once they don't pay back the pawn shop people will release them for sale. please go there in person in regular intervals. I wish you get back them soon.

Jun 03, 2016 at 02:51 PM
ablejenn
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

i'm down here as well and will keep my eye out on ebay (local) and craigslist. Good luck and sorry to hear. I've walked by cars in parking lots before and see backpacks in plain sight and am shocked. I'm one of those that looks around to see if anyone is watching then lock it in the trunk.

Jun 03, 2016 at 03:01 PM
cpd442i

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

I certainly hope you reported this to the local Law Enforcement agency. Having the serial numbers increases the chances of having them found. Also, The agency can search all pawn shops in the nation as long as they have the serial numbers.

Most thieves count on people not knowing serial numbers. Without them, it is virtually impossible to prove an item is stolen.

I can also tell you that very very few pawn shops will ever admit they have taken in item/items even if you have the serial numbers. If they took in a stolen item, they are out whatever money they paid for it.

Edited on Jun 04, 2016 at 05:54 PM · View previous versions

Jun 04, 2016 at 05:10 PM
nnachappa64
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · WTB: *** STOLEN*** MIAMI, FL ***CANON GEAR***

Hello,

Yes, I have provided the serial numbers to the officer who attended my call.

Hopefully, I will be able to find it!

Jun 04, 2016 at 05:12 PM

FM Forums | Buy & Sell Photo-Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.