New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · As the crow flies ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · As the crow flies ...

I'm pretty sure he was on his way to get some lemonade.

May 30, 2016 at 07:11 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · As the crow flies ...

Well, a red wing black bird, but this is a great shot. Great exposure, sharp, perfect back ground.

May 30, 2016 at 07:32 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · As the crow flies ...

+1 @ RWBB

Thanks Ben, but this one has a bunch of sugar added to a bunch of lemon.

May 30, 2016 at 07:56 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · As the crow flies ...

Ha-ha! I like your intro!

I recently photographed some of these guys so I know how hard they can be to get perfect.
You nailed a great pose and the cattails really complete this nicely. Very harmonious.

I like the lemons you've tossed at it and think you could go even further with it. The reeds are pulling the direction (painterly) pretty hard so I would let the RWBB fly deep into the same direction and not worry about keeping the realism. If that makes any sense.

Dave

May 30, 2016 at 09:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · As the crow flies ...

Thanks Dave.

Gotcha mixed vs. full on. I may revisit it later, but feel free to play.

May 30, 2016 at 09:20 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · As the crow flies ...

I'm I'll equipped to do such playing. I have no idea how that kind of stuff is done but I have seen some amazing images done with some software that somehow turns everything into brush Stokes.

Imagemaster (Tony) has done a few that are truly amazing works of art. Your image would/could be a wall hanger if this technique was used on it. You have all the needed goodness captured that would put this over the top if done properly.

I need to find out how that is done. God knows I have a ton of images just waiting for such magic.

Dave

May 30, 2016 at 09:32 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · As the crow flies ...

Nicely timed capture of RWBB in flight. Colors, detail, position within frame are all excellent. I like the painterly green leaves at the bottom. Even the matting/framing (thanks Fred) complement your image well.
Nice job Kent!
Scott

May 31, 2016 at 10:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · As the crow flies ...

Thanks.

Here's the sooc. Definitely some lemonade action on this one, so this one is about 1/2 lemon & 1/2 sugar.

Edited on May 31, 2016 at 07:47 PM · View previous versions

May 31, 2016 at 05:21 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · As the crow flies ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks.

Here's the sooc. Definitely some lemonade action on this one, so this one is about 1/2 lemon & 1/2 sugar.

You've taken an excellent image and through your artistry and photoshop expertise made it a prize winner. I love the "toning" and the way the background color contrasts so well with the RWBB.

Steve

May 31, 2016 at 06:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · As the crow flies ...

What is most impressive is how much detail you pulled out of the feathers. Very good.

May 31, 2016 at 07:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · As the crow flies ...

Thanks guys,

I posted the exif. Looks like I could have gone with something like 1/2000 and picked up a stop of light, but I was just shooting Aperture Priority @ just off WO, so it looks the metering was effected by the BG a bit.

FYI, this was a single shot ... not sure why I never seem to use the FPS. Just lucky to get the wing position (and feet) that I did.

May 31, 2016 at 07:58 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · As the crow flies ...

Yeah, I just noticed your SS and thought that was pretty fast. My problem is that I never seem to shoot fast enough most of the time. As mainly a landscape and furry slow moving critter kinda guy anything above 1/600 feels fast to me. When I had to venture into this High SS while at the beach a few weeks ago I was way outside my sandbox but man did I learn a great deal about BIF. I see why some folks get into it, it's addicting as hell and as fun as a video game.

Hmmmm... now that I think about it, I always sucked at video games too.

My little 70D can hit 7 fps but it never helped me much and mostly just caused my delete key get worn-out.

Dave

May 31, 2016 at 08:41 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · As the crow flies ...

lighthound wrote:
Yeah, I just noticed your SS and thought that was pretty fast. My problem is that I never seem to shoot fast enough most of the time. As mainly a landscape and furry slow moving critter kinda guy anything above 1/600 feels fast to me. When I had to venture into this High SS while at the beach a few weeks ago I was way outside my sandbox but man did I learn a great deal about BIF. I see why some folks get into it, it's addicting as hell and as fun as a video game.

Hmmmm... now that
...Show more

One shot, holy cow! LUCK, to those who court it, fortunately rears it's pretty face on a regular basis!!

Steve

May 31, 2016 at 09:52 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.