New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · HSS QUESTION

lifthard2001
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HSS QUESTION

I know this is probably going to sound total stupid but I have always used ND when shooting my CL360 outside and always shooting in manual of course. So Im thinking about purchasing the new CL600. My question when using HSS how do you establish a starting point with the power of the unit.Since most light meters will not go to 1/4000 or above.I hope this make sense what I trying to describe. TY for any and all help

May 30, 2016 at 03:16 PM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HSS QUESTION

Even more important to remember, Light meters won't read HSS output.
I just posted a thread here that describes how I use TTL and HSS with Flash Exposure Compensation. It happens to use the AD600 as the light.

Since Edward is selling only the Manual version, I'd start a 1:4 power. That gives you up and down movement via the X1T without having to move the light. Naturally, shutter speed is going to have an impact since HSS is a constant light source for exposure.

May 30, 2016 at 04:30 PM
hatch1921
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HSS QUESTION

lifthard2001 wrote:
I know this is probably going to sound total stupid but I have always used ND when shooting my CL360 outside and always shooting in manual of course. So Im thinking about purchasing the new CL600. My question when using HSS how do you establish a starting point with the power of the unit.Since most light meters will not go to 1/4000 or above.I hope this make sense what I trying to describe. TY for any and all help

Starting point... well... it's hard to say. Not the answer I'm sure you are looking for....

I have the 600x and it's been a blast to shoot with HSS. What has worked for me so far....

I would expose for the background or under expose depending on the scene. This past Sunday I was shooting from 8-11am in full on sun. I would under expose by 1/2 a stop or less for the sky and surrounding area/scene... then ... with the strobe at about 1/4 to 1/2 I would take a test shot and increase/decrease as needed.

Here are the shots from the shoot https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1431982 so... I guess I would say there isn't really a "starting point" with the strobe, just get your background exposure how you want it and then take a few test shots with the strobe.

The CL600X performed very well btw... 300 pops and I still had some battery left. Very pleased with the performance.

Hatch

Jun 01, 2016 at 09:23 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HSS QUESTION

Ive seen some of your work Hatch with the CL and the 45 on the FB cheetah page top notch. I guess Im just old school with metering and such. I think Im going to pull the trigger on one of these units and give it a whirl.
TY

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:39 PM
hatch1921
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HSS QUESTION

lifthard2001 wrote:
Ive seen some of your work Hatch with the CL and the 45 on the FB cheetah page top notch. I guess Im just old school with metering and such. I think Im going to pull the trigger on one of these units and give it a whirl.
TY

Many thanks. I like using a meter as well. It takes a little practice, not much, but you will dial in the strobe/camera when using HSS. The back of the 5Ds is fairly accurate.. the majority of the shots were within a 1/3rd of a stop of being right on exposure wise. I had a couple which were about 1/2 stop over... but... usable. If your camera has the setting to show if you are clipping the whites or blacks... make sure it is on. This helped as well.

I wanted to get away from using ND filters and the CL600x has so far been worth the investment.

If you have any questions about the strobe... let me know... glad to help.

Hatch

Jun 01, 2016 at 05:50 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HSS QUESTION

hatch1921 wrote:
Many thanks. I like using a meter as well. It takes a little practice, not much, but you will dial in the strobe/camera when using HSS. The back of the 5Ds is fairly accurate.. the majority of the shots were within a 1/3rd of a stop of being right on exposure wise. I had a couple which were about 1/2 stop over... but... usable. If your camera has the setting to show if you are clipping the whites or blacks... make sure it is on. This helped as well.

I wanted to get away from using ND filters and the
...Show more

Ty so much.BTW I shoot with the D750 so I can chimp the highlights

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.