Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

Mark F

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

Hi,

A friend has given me his old Norman P500m power supply with several heads so that I can learn and practice the basics of studio lighting. I've read that certain older flashes (e.g. the Vivitar 283) can ruin the electronics of modern cameras. Does anyone know if this setup is safe to use?

Thanks.

Mark

May 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

The danger was from high trigger voltage. The easiest solution is to always use a wireless transmitter/receiver like PocketWizard to fire the strobes.

Here's one article on trigger voltages: http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_measuretv.php

Here's another that lists the P500 as having a 30 volt trigger voltage. Check your camera spec's for compatibility. Most modern Canons are 250 V but yours might be different.

May 30, 2016 at 02:59 PM
Mark F

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

Thanks. The Norman P500-M manual states that its "output voltage is 450v (voltage stabilized". Is this the same thing as trigger voltage?

Thanks.

Mark

May 30, 2016 at 04:55 PM
mcoons
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

We used to use Norman power packs all the time. Great units. Before pocket wizards we used the Wein Safe-Sync to connect a PC sync cable from the camera to the power pack. It reduces the voltage to less than 6 volts. It looks like the updated version is $50.

Here's a link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html

Also, when using these old power packs remember to press the test button to release any left over power before removing a light from the socket. It's possible the pins could arc if there is power in the pack.

Peter is right, If you have Pocket Wizards, they are the best solution. If on a budget and need a to use a sync cord, get a safe-sync.

May 31, 2016 at 04:18 PM
Mark F

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

Thanks for the good advice. I will either safe sync or look for an optical/infra red triggering device.

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:52 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is it saf to use a Norman 500 on modern cameras?

Voltage-protected PC sync cords

One offers the "long tip" option which I prefer.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 03, 2016 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.