Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

Going to be traveling and am currently planning on having an Android tablet (Samsung Tab S2 9.7") with me.
I'd like to be able to take some of my A7RII and LX100 RAW files and post from the road - so some light editing and conversion to .jpg is all I need.

What are my options?

Thanks -

John

May 29, 2016 at 11:20 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

If you can get the raw files on to the tablet, Lightroom mobile will do RAW conversion on device. I use it to process the DNGs that my phone (Nexus 5X) creates. It doesn't have the full power of desktop lightroom, but it'll do nice conversions.

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:44 AM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

I've been using RAW decoder and snapseed on my phone. I attach the card with a usb otg cable and card reader. Probably not the greatest (or perhaps I'm missing something? ) but I don't necessarily feel the need for absolute quality for fb.

I transfer the file to the phone, copy and paste, first, as I've had it goof up files, I think. Also, I use Resize Me to resize images. All free software, when I downloaded it.

Sometimes I've shot raw+jpg, but that eats card space. Might be able to delete the jpegs you don't need, though. Not sure if I'd trust the tablet for that or not

I've heard of using Gimp on a tablet, I think there's a RAW converter, but I haven't done it. Not sure if that project got anywhere.

Jun 02, 2016 at 10:07 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

Jman13 wrote:
If you can get the raw files on to the tablet, Lightroom mobile will do RAW conversion on device. I use it to process the DNGs that my phone (Nexus 5X) creates. It doesn't have the full power of desktop lightroom, but it'll do nice conversions.

Hmmm . . . it's not clear that Lightroom mobile can process LX100 and/or A7RII raw files - can it in fact process these files?

Jun 03, 2016 at 09:17 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

Photo Mate R3 looks interesting - I'll give that a try.

Anyone else with suggestions? I'll be running it on the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7.

Jun 03, 2016 at 09:30 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

D'oh. I guess it doesn't. I tried on my A7II and it won't see it. It says it looks for DNGs, RW2 and then TIF and JPEG. sorry. Odd that it'll do Panasonic files supposedly, but not other manufacturers.

Edit: just tried with a GX8 file and it didn't work. So: DNG only more or less. That sort of blows.
jhinkey wrote:
Hmmm . . . it's not clear that Lightroom mobile can process LX100 and/or A7RII raw files - can it in fact process these files?

Jun 04, 2016 at 08:39 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

I would try the app raw2dng, which should convert your raw files to dng (which is still another raw file). Then you can use lightroom mobile which is definitely my favorite.

The main question for me would be making sure you can get your files to the tablet. Does it have a micro SD slot?

Jun 04, 2016 at 08:58 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

drewmey wrote:
I would try the app raw2dng, which should convert your raw files to dng (which is still another raw file). Then you can use lightroom mobile which is definitely my favorite.

The main question for me would be making sure you can get your files to the tablet. Does it have a micro SD slot?

I'm going to use the setup in this thread to copy my SD cards both to 128GB of internal storage on the Tab S2 and to an external SSD as shown in this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3972734#forum-post-57357512

So as I collect images on the Tab I'll do some basic processing of them for posting while on the road.

I get all the hardware by Monday to try this out.

- J

Jun 04, 2016 at 06:09 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

Well, I finally got all the pieces together:
- 128GB microSD card for internal storage on the Galaxy Tab S2
- 256 GB external SSD
- USB OTG combo SD card reader and USB hub
- Photo Mate R3

The A7RII images transfer in reasonable times from the SD card to the S2, from the S2 to the SSD, AND from the SD card directly to the SSD

Payed for Photo Mate R3 and did a few edits and it seems to work reasonably well considering what it's running on.

Jun 12, 2016 at 08:43 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

Update from the field after three weeks. The setup above seemed to work pretty well and I'm glad I didn't rely on any cloud-based photo backup system as WiFi, even though we had it at every place we stayed, was incredibly unreliable.

The Tab S2 proved adequate to quick editing in the field of select images - I would not use it for processing all of the images as it takes about a minute per image to generated a 1280pix wide .jpg file for uploading to FM using PhotoMate R3. PhotoMate has some bugs and can be quirky at times, but in general it did the job for basic post-processing, though ACR will be used once I get back home today. (currently over Greenland as I'm writing this).

The 256GB SSD's worked well, but at times were troublesome when writing large amounts of data to - not due to the SSD's themselves, but due to the OTG hardware that was flaky at best. The OTG hardware was fine for pulling the day's images onto the internall SSD of the Tab S2, but when backing up to the SSDs they were troublesome - especially the more data that needed to be backed up.

Would I use the same setup again - yes, but with better OTG hardware.

- John

Jul 07, 2016 at 09:22 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 ... I think it is perfect for what you were trying to do. Maybe take a look at one before your next trip. You can use Lightroom and ACR/Photoshop. Nice solution.

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:31 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RAW file editing options for Android tablets?

UCSB wrote:
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 ... I think it is perfect for what you were trying to do. Maybe take a look at one before your next trip. You can use Lightroom and ACR/Photoshop. Nice solution.

I own one that is pretty decked out for RAM, processor, and storage - too big and heavy for me, but yes other than that it is a great machine.
The Tab S2 turned out to be the perfect size for this trip

Jul 14, 2016 at 05:06 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.