New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bridges

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bridges

These were selected by a local gallery to be included in an exhibition on "Bridges." Unfortunately I am not too happy with the processing and I cannot even find the processed Tiff file for the Benson Bridge at Multnomah Falls.

Any suggestions for improving the processing?

Benson Bridge

Golden Gate Bridge

May 28, 2016 at 05:53 PM
j.curtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bridges

I love #2.

May 28, 2016 at 05:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bridges

Both have nice appeal.

I think it is going to depend on what your objective for them is.

For #2, I see that your foreground has a neutral black @ 15,15,15. The rest of the shadows / sky / dark areas all seem to have a cast from the lighting. I might look to adjust those shadows toward a less cast / more neutral shadow (masking involved) in order to have a neutral to "anchor" your color more. Color contrast tends to "pop" more against a neutral. Artistic liberty, but just a thought.

I also might look to edit the star trails to reshape them to more star points. And the red light atop the bridge ... I'm hmmm @ what to do with it for more vs. less emphasis.

#1, my question is if you are going for uber-natural vibe or something a bit more artistic liberty. Also, I might consider cropping down from the top. I realize you could chop into the upper fall, but I think it might be worth a look to see how it rebalances the bridge / lower falls (I don't think you need the entire upper fall to deliver the message). Food for thought ... or maybe some things to spawn another thought(s).

May 28, 2016 at 06:35 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bridges

Thanks for the suggestions. I submitted the same downsized images I posted here for review by the gallery. I really need to be fairly true to what I submitted. I will probably tinker with the color, contrast, etc. I don't think I can crop or make major changes.

May 28, 2016 at 07:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bridges

Gotcha @ gallery submission = fairly true, i.e. no changes other than some nominal tweaks to prepare for printing.

May 28, 2016 at 07:53 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bridges

The biggest issue is that these are old and my workflow was not really well established. I may need to start over from the raw files. I guess I will just try to aim for what I have on the downsized jpegs.

May 28, 2016 at 08:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bridges

Multnomah is tough.I see you got the same gold fish in the pond I did. Those logs have been floating under the falls for as long as I have been stopping. I have a print just like it that I can see now. The big logs are not a problem, but I would clone out the others.

Yours is good, you have some fall color and no people on the bridge. It often takes 20 minutes to get a clear shot. You handled the blank sky at the top well too.

It seems a bit flat, I would up the contrast or more gamma.

Choice of shutter speed is fine.

May 28, 2016 at 08:50 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.