New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2016 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

I have two 85mm lenses . One is the new Sony GM 85mm 1.4 lens which just recently came to market and as most of you know i started a very long test on that lens. Its a winner all the way around. My one issue with it it is not small and light but it is my workhorse lens and its killer good. But I wanted something to travel with and shoot landscape type images as part of my small prime kit. So I purchased the ZM 85 F4 zeiss RF lens with the newest Hawk adapter as this lens is very small and lightweight, has a 43mm filter thread compared to the GM 85 77mm filter thread. Thats a big difference in size and weight. I have a photo of that Ill post later on here. Before i start i just wanted a lens that at least compared to the GM so I can leave that out of the bag when i go hiking about as I will many times also have the GM 24-70. So Im trying to cut weight and bulk as I am not as young as i once was and 40 years of this has taken its toll on my back.

Lets get onto the tests and I will first just post my Big Bronco wall but I also wanted to show people just how good the GM 85 1.4 lens is in the corners, which for a very fast 85mm prime designed to be a portrait lens has amazing flat field across the image. Lots of debates about this lens but it is far sharper and resolves much better than folks think even at 1.4 which as reported between 1.4 and 1.6/1.7 it loses a little contrast and some clarity. BTW you can just put it in at 1.4 and i can make it look exactly like 1.6/1.7. This lens has a lot of options how you want to display its character.

Okay enough of that on the ZM 85mm F4, I expected it to be good but I did not expect it to be this good. Lets get on with it

Full image of scene

Okay before we get into the direct comparisons at same aperture the GM 85 has several stops of speed so lets look at the upper left corner.

Okay lets get into o the direct comparison but as you can see even at 2.8 the corners are really coming alive

Going to show a quick shot of the upper Right on the ZM 85 at F4 just to show I have no lens issues and I'm well centered

Okay starting at F4 the direct comparison of upper left

So that is the short range test. Im about 35 yards from the wall. If you notice the ZM is a touch wider than the GM, it does have a little CA at F4 but easily to correct and gone by 5.6. From my seat at F5.6 I'm actually going to give the ZM a very slight edge. Folks thats really freaking good to even be in the same park as the GM 85. If you look close in the light bulb you can see the CA at F4 gone by 5.6. For landscape work this is where you start with aperture

Quick center test of another wall

Need to remember here the ZM is wide open here at F4

May 28, 2016 at 06:56 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Im working on more in the background will post soon some infinity shots

May 28, 2016 at 06:57 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Moving on to infinity tests and this is very good for both lenses. Here is the full scene

Center crops at F4

Going to extreme left corner

I am actually quite impressed by both lenses here as they are doing a amazing job of getting full resolution. To me they look almost identical and putting the ZM against the GM as good as the GM is the ZM is right there following it. The good news for me owning both is the Gm is killer wide open and my workhorse lens. I do love it but for landscape , travel type stuff I really only need a F4 lens in hand so I feel taking the ZM to do that I am not leaving any quality at home. Totally comfortable with the ZM results. Im a happy camper.

The only downside I see is a little CA even at 5.6 now I look hard at it but thats a easy fix. Also given the ZM is F4 wide open it will have some vignette going on as the GM that totally clears out by F4 so you will have to work on that with the ZM but its about a stop that I am seeing. I corrected it doing this test so folks can really see the corners.

Now buying it here is the lens exactly but remember it does NOT come with a hood but you can buy one for a stupid price

Here is the lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/583973-REG/Zeiss_1486_395_85mm_f_4_Tele_Tessar_T.html

Here is the hood

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/654744-REG/Zeiss_1690_438_1690438_Lens_Shade_for.html/pageID/accessory

FYI i bought a metal 43mm screw in on eBay . 84 dollars is a bit much to me but Ill be in NY next week and check it out at B&H and decide. I will also be shooting with it and follow up with some real images.

Hope this helps

May 28, 2016 at 08:18 AM
MJKoski
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Yeez! ZM better than I expected. Now the question is why is Zeiss not producing f/4 loxias? They would be much smaller even and still high IQ.

May 28, 2016 at 08:22 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

That maybe the next Loxia is this lens. This lens is way better than what i expected. Let me get the size photo up

Edited on May 29, 2016 at 11:32 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2016 at 08:27 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Kudos to Steve Spensor for bringing this up in one of the threads. Thanks Bud

May 28, 2016 at 08:31 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Yes, I just bought the TT85 (85 ZM) a couple of weeks ago and I was extremely impressed. So much so that my 75/2.5 Summarit-M is going on the B&S forums (though I do like this lens for wide open candid shots).

No hesitation shooting the 85 ZM wide open in any situation - it has now become my light weight backpacking ~90mm lens. One other thing is that the 85ZM does really well pointed at the sun - it makes great sun stars.

Below is a shot with the 85 ZM (or TT85) wide open and it's pretty darned sharp all over on my A7RII.

TT85/85 ZM

May 28, 2016 at 09:19 AM
brendans
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Dang... I'm happy with my G90 but a real focus ring and ability to use a helicoid adapter is pretty tempting...

May 28, 2016 at 09:28 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Yes the Hawk works great. I have infinity locked down on the Hawk and obviously looks dead perfect. Than I can rack the helicoid and can get pretty darn close . I need to play with it more but looks to be very effective. Btw did you notice one used at B&H for 800 dollars. This one is used here that I got a very nice price on. Looks like new too

May 28, 2016 at 09:44 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

GMPhotography wrote:
Kudos to Steve Spensor for bringing this up in one of the threads. Thanks Bud

I am glad it worked out Guy. Looks like the perfect complement to the GM 85 for you.

May 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Guy,
Thanks for posting this.
The ZM 85/4 wide open has higher resolution and contrast than the 85GM at center and extreme edges.
That's is indeed outstanding performance in a small package. It seems to perform better than the Loxia 50/2 wide open as the Loxia needs two stops down for the corners.

How is the mid-field? Any resolution dip compared to the GM?

May 28, 2016 at 11:16 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

I found my used copy in the local pro shop here in Seattle - mint in the box and looked like it had been mounted once in its life. Took some test shots with it against my 75/2.5 Summarit-M - went home and compared the images. No contest. Came back the next day and gave them $550 for it (they wanted $599).

It's a little longer on the camera body than I would like, but it's light and can shoot at f/4 all day and f/5.6 if I really want all the lens can do.

I may get one of the Leitax M to E converters that gets affixed to the M-mount because it's lighter and will stay with the lens.

Now if some enterprising soul would put CPU contacts in these adapters that can be programmed to give my A7RII the lens focal length I'd be in heaven.

May 28, 2016 at 11:46 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Fred Miranda wrote:
Guy,
Thanks for posting this.
The ZM 85/4 wide open has higher resolution and contrast than the 85GM at center and extreme edges.
That's is indeed outstanding performance in a small package. It seems to perform better than the Loxia 50/2 wide open as the Loxia needs two stops down for the corners.

How is the mid-field? Any resolution dip compared to the GM?

I've not seen any mid-field dip in resolution on my copy, though I admit I've not been looking for it.
I am a pretty hard pixel peeper and tend to notice such things.

As soon as the sun comes out here in the PNW I'll take some shots that might uncover any mid-field dips in performance.

May 28, 2016 at 11:48 AM
robgo2
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

brendans wrote:
Dang... I'm happy with my G90 but a real focus ring and ability to use a helicoid adapter is pretty tempting...

In case you don't know, the Zeiss C/Y 85/2.8 is essentially the same lens as the Contax G 90/2.8, except that it is designed for use on an SLR and has a built-in helicoid focus ring. I replaced my 90G with the C/Y and have been very pleased with it. I don't know how it compares with the 85/4 ZM in terms of IQ, but it is extremely good and one stop faster. Also, it is light and compact, even with an adapter.

Rob

May 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Steve Spencer wrote:
I am glad it worked out Guy. Looks like the perfect complement to the GM 85 for you.

Thanks Steve and I spelled your last name wrong, my bad. I posted this about 4 am than went back to bed.

Fred I'll look into the mid field more but have not seen anything glaring. When I get back from NY on the 6th if you want to play I can send it over. I'm shocked at its wide open IQ. I agree it maybe a tick better than the GM. That alone is amazing. Wonder what the MTF charts say on this lens. One thing for sure it works great on this sensor.

May 28, 2016 at 12:35 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Btw there are a couple used at KEH also and B&H. I think KEH has a sale promo code this weekend too. Both places take returns too

May 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

jhinkey wrote:
I've not seen any mid-field dip in resolution on my copy, though I admit I've not been looking for it.
I am a pretty hard pixel peeper and tend to notice such things.

As soon as the sun comes out here in the PNW I'll take some shots that might uncover any mid-field dips in performance.

John did not know you had it. It's looks to be a well kept secret. Lol

Agree slightly long . Do you have the lens hood for it. Wondering how long it is. I bought two cheap metal screw ins. Still waiting for the second one as the one I have is a vented one which I'm not fond of.

May 28, 2016 at 12:42 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

As much as this lens looks amazing, I will resist it as much as possible since it's very likely we'll get a tele Loxia very soon.

Meanwhile I'll continuing using my CY 100/3.5 ($250) which is also sharp at f/4. I mainly use it at f/5.6 and f/8 though. I also prefer 100mm as I use it as a 70-200/4 replacement for big hikes.

I'm not sure how it directly compares to the ZM85 but here is a full size image (28mb) capture with the CY 100/3.5 @f/5.6 at infinity distance. At f/8 it improves even further. Rendering, colors and contrast are also top-notch.

PS: Click on download the image to view without any compression:
http://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V_8MY312WOUy1UcDdUVWZlcVU/view

May 28, 2016 at 02:07 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

Be fun to do a head to head

May 28, 2016 at 02:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss ZM 85mm F4/ GM 85mm 1.4 Tests

GMPhotography wrote:
Be fun to do a head to head

Even if they are close in resolution and contrast, the ZM is a newer lens with likely better coating and flare control. Also, the 10-blade aperture will provide better bokeh and prettier sunstars. These are also the reasons I will be upgrading the from the CY to the Loxia whenever released.
With that said, if I find a deal I can't refuse, I will probably grab the ZM as well.

May 28, 2016 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.