New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Which lens for vacation

Kolbasz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lens for vacation

If on vacation or anywhere really that one isn't changing cameras or lenses. Just put it together and go for a day of shooting.

Canon 24-105 or tamron 70-300

Just curious which is a better catch all of sorts.

I went 24-105 and I'm curious if that was the right choice.

May 27, 2016 at 09:34 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lens for vacation

It depends on what you shoot. The 100-400 II would be my single lens of choice for vacation. I've never been very happy with the 24-105 and am even less so in the modern 50MP era.

EBH

May 27, 2016 at 09:49 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lens for vacation

When I have only one lens with me,(which is almost never) it is the 24-105.

May 27, 2016 at 10:38 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lens for vacation

I like the conflicting needs. My 24-105 has been fine, but the longer zoom is nice, but also means things closer to me are now impossible, so I see the benefits of both. As to which is best may boil to simple opinion.

Sometimes though you want just one lens, no fuss. Which is why I ask. I don't always want to carry a bag of heavy lenses for a day if I can settle on 1 that handles the 90%

May 27, 2016 at 11:24 PM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lens for vacation

If it's Europe take the 24-105L, if it's Africa take the 100-400L.

May 28, 2016 at 06:58 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lens for vacation

Kolbasz wrote:
...I went 24-105 and I'm curious if that was the right choice.

It was the right choice if you took some photos that you really like.

If I had to take only one DSLR camera and one lens, it woudl be the 24-105L IS.

My kit for travel on a personal vacation is usually a Fujifilm X-E2 with XF 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS lenses, plus an EOS SL1 with 70-200/4L IS and 1.4x III Extender. It's relatively small and provides great photos. If I want to do a light-weight walkabout, I take just the X-E2 and 18-55 OIS.

If I want to travel really light, I take a Fujifilm X100S and Sony RX100.

My wife usually takes a 6D with 24-105L IS on business trips, to document her events and other stuff as opportunities arise. She's taken many excellent photos with this setup.

My "day bags" that are usually with me in the car, contain 16-35/4L IS, 24-105/4L IS, and 100-400L IS II. The 24-105L IS isn't the sharpest knife in my dry cabinet, but it gets a lot of use, and it has taken many fine photos.

P.S. I don't like changing lenses often either, that's one reason that I usually take two cameras.

May 28, 2016 at 07:10 AM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lens for vacation

If I'm taking only one lens with me then I will reach for the 24-105 with my 6D

May 28, 2016 at 09:00 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lens for vacation

Just take a 5DSR and a 24-70 and crop to your hearts content. 😎

But if I had to take only one lens, it'd be a 24-70/105.

May 28, 2016 at 09:23 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lens for vacation

Kind of a limiting question. Where are you going on vacation - Paris for the first time, Botswana, or to see the relatives again?

My kit has four cameras and 12 lenses all to photograph stuff while traveling. My minimalist kit is a G1X (1 lb) for full backpacking or if I don't expect to do much photography. I recently hiked the Milford Track in New Zealand and took a 70D, 10-18, 15-85, and 55-250 (4.5 lbs). For the hiking part I took just the 70D and 15-85 (3 lbs), I wasn't carrying food or shelter. For air travel someplace new where I won't be hiking overnight 5D3, Voightlander 20 mm pancake, 24-105, 100-400 and G1X usually with its underwater housing (9.25 lbs carry-on). By car or camper, see my profile. For a safari, two SLRs.

Forced to answer your question, the 80D + 15-85 is pretty versatile as a tourist rig. (My 70D has been replaced with an 80D.) But I'd still probably also have the 55-250 if I was wearing a pack. Or the 5D + 24-105 if the rest of my stuff were in my hotel room safe. Or just the G1X - well, you get my point.

May 28, 2016 at 11:09 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lens for vacation

Jeff Nolten wrote:
... Voightlander 20 mm pancake, 24-105, 100-400 and...

I don't know how much you like the CV 20/3.5 SL, but I suspect you'd like the SMC Pentax-M 20/4 or Olympus 21/3.5 OM even more. They're both the same size as the CV, and they're slightly lighter (and have much improved IQ at the edges and corners).

May 28, 2016 at 01:30 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lens for vacation

I'll be going to Norway for four weeks with wife and kids. We will visit the scenic routes so I will take my new 5DsR and 16-35/4IS. Am a bit puzzled what else to take. My 24-105 would complement the WA zoom pretty well, but I've seen lots of edge/corner fuzziness after cropping a bit. My 50/1.8ii is almost perfect @f/8 and very light. I'm thinking of taking the 100-400ii too but to leave it in the car unless we are likely to see some wildlife.

May 28, 2016 at 01:45 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which lens for vacation

Reading the many options it's currently being my budget to expand beyond what I have. Especially since my t2i just died on my last vacation in Florida,so I plan to replace it with the 6d.

I used to have a Canon elph and the pictures it takes are crappy most of the time. I get a few decent but the rest are crap.

So I resort to the SLR and 2lenses I have now. But it is truly amazing hearing the loads of opinions and setups people have and for what.

May 28, 2016 at 01:58 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which lens for vacation

jcolwell wrote:
I don't know how much you like the CV 20/3.5 SL, but I suspect you'd like the SMC Pentax-M 20/4 or Olympus 21/3.5 OM even more. They're both the same size as the CV, and they're slightly lighter (and have much improved IQ at the edges and corners).

Well I do have the 16-35 f4 IS as well. I bought the CV (just looked up Cosina Voightlander) 20 on a whim used from B&H. I've been very pleased with its performance so far. It weighs 9 oz is about 3" long, directly mounts to my Canons and reports itself. Its MF but the cameras report focus confirmation and it is auto exposure. AT f8 its as sharp as my 17-40 was edge to edge - haven't directly compared to my 16-35 yet. I always use it at f8 or 11 for landscapes and the horizontal edges are sharp enough for my use. I'm looking at my images on a 5K iMac. It has a very close minimum focus distance and is sharp in the center to mid frame wide open. Its a very convenient/portable supplement to my 24-105 for full frame. Its a bit better at the horizontal edges FF than my 10-18 is APS C and that one is good enough in a pinch. I'll use the 16-35 when I'm not watching ounces or pack space.

I'm sure the lenses you mention are fine. Not disagreeing with your assessment at all. I have a bunch of screw mount SMC Pentax lenses and they sure are small and light compared to the Canon lenses. Thanks for the suggestions.

You'll have to take my word for it - web size image and all - but the corners look pretty good here:

May 28, 2016 at 06:48 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which lens for vacation

I used to use my 28-300 as my walk around for years until I got my 24-105. That has become my travel lens.....I just like its sharpness better!

May 28, 2016 at 08:05 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which lens for vacation

When shooting f8, does that put you on a tripod , or does that mean it's super bright and you trying to crank down the light you let in?

May 28, 2016 at 08:56 PM
Kpjr

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which lens for vacation

Just get the Sigma Bigma and have everything covered (50-500mm)!

May 28, 2016 at 09:01 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which lens for vacation

Kolbasz wrote:
When shooting f8, does that put you on a tripod , or does that mean it's super bright and you trying to crank down the light you let in?

If you are asking about my using my 20 mm at f8, my use has all been hand held. 20 mm is pretty easy to hand hold without IS but I generally use it in daylight. Today's cameras can handle higher ISOs pretty well to keep the shutter speed up if necessary. My 24-105 usually has a polarizer on it which cuts down light some. The 20 is too wide to use a polarizer because the effect varies too much across the sky field of view.

Hmmm, also if this is what you were asking, f8 on a wide lens is a very deep depth of field - from infinity to about 2 or 3 feet in front of the lens. And lenses typically sharpen up in the edges at higher f stops. It peaks for the 24-105 at about f5.6 but the CV 20 needs f8. The Canon 16-35 f4 IS is a respected lens because it is quite sharp in the edges at lower f stops.

Does this answer your question?

May 28, 2016 at 09:48 PM
tsangc
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which lens for vacation

If one, I'd always go for 24-105mm. But why not both? If you're going to carry a DSLR body with a 24-105mm, adding one more light lens like a 70-300mm wouldn't be too hard would it?

If you were going to carry the camera in a bag, it's just a little extra for the second lens. If you're carrying it around your neck and trying to go without a bag (especially in a hot climate), you could tuck the 70-300mm in a fanny pack. Or a lens bag on your belt, or even a water bottle holder.

I went to Barcelona several years ago with a 24-70mm on a 5D, but kept a really cheap 75-300mm in my cargo shorts pocket. For the one or two shots a day I needed a long shot, it was worth the effort to carry it!

May 28, 2016 at 11:25 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which lens for vacation

Yep, just trying to learn.

In a go moment I used dreaded auto. When I have time to mess, I try manual, but then environment changes I forget and f a slew of photos till I remember.

So when I'm In manual, I never much mess with the fstops, just because I don't... and I want to, so knowing good pictures can be had if I do, is a plus.

I also barely touch ISO but with the t2i I had, I couldn't go very high before pictures were borked, so maybe with a 6d I plan to get since the t2i is now broken, I will get some better results.

May 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which lens for vacation

There are two common ways people get the weight and bulk down when travelling:

- choose to compromise on available focal lengths. But the useful compromise point is not 90% of all shots being possible, but more like 30% to 60%. Of course it depends on your interests - if your interests are narrow or targeted, you might satisfy all your needs with one lens.

- use a smaller format, i.e. a camera with a smaller sensor. This means the lenses can also be smaller. But this involves a different compromise, dynamic range. Smaller sensors have less, and by the time you get down to a size where a single 24-200mm equivalent zoom is handy for travel, there are shots you just can't take any more. Jeff Nolten's beach scene above is an example of a photo I wouldn't even attempt with my Sony RX10 - there's too much difference between the shaded and the bright parts.

And you can try to steer some path in the middle, like a Fuji APS-C with a limited set of lenses.

You mentioned the lack of flash on full frame cameras in your other thread. "Fill flash" is important for many types of travel shots, and if your flash is too bulky or inconvenient to travel with, that's another compromise. In fact, your camera was probably using fill flash when appropriate in full auto, and that might be a big reason why your pictures were "borked" when you switched to "manual".

Given that you don't seem to understand or care much about the depth of field effects of f-stop, I think the best compromise for you might be a 1" superzoom camera like the Sony RX10. It has a flash, a leaf shutter which makes its little flash more effective for fill, and a single 24-200mm equivalent zoom. (Panasonic also make something similar which has a good reputation.) It's just one thing to carry, and is fairly robust. Know, though, that it is a compromise for dynamic range and high ISO.

May 29, 2016 at 01:45 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.