New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Eyecups

Kolbasz
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eyecups

See some people changing these out from the stock. Is this a normal thing to do and does it have big benefit?

May 27, 2016 at 09:26 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eyecups

Depends on the shape of your face and your typical shooting conditions. If you have a tall nose that makes it difficult to get your eye socket sealed around the eyepiece, a large cup provides shielding from outside light and removes glare. It's also useful if you frequently shoot in bright light. On the other hand, a large eyecup often covers the upper edge of the LCD. I lived on a white sand beach for 10 years and swore by large eyecups. Never bother with one anymore since it's in the way of my articulating LCD.

May 27, 2016 at 11:04 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eyecups

I always put on sun screen in summer when going on extended outdoor trips. My nose will always hit the LCD, leaving a white stain. It always comes off after thorough cleaning but I'd prefer not to smear it in the first place. Will have a look...

May 28, 2016 at 02:53 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eyecups

Eyepiece extenders are intended to solve the nose clearance issue, not eyecups. I have a large eyecup intended for eyeglass users. There ae also magnifiers and diopter corrections.

Canon users get a general purpose eyecup with their camera, Nikon users get nothing, or at least, my D800 did not come with one..

May 28, 2016 at 07:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eyecups

Very much a personal preference. Some days I swear by having my eyecup on ... other days it's in my way. Proficient at removal / install for the articulating screen interference.

They aren't that much $$$ ... best way to find out is give it a go.

May 28, 2016 at 08:07 PM
Kolbasz
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eyecups

Thanks, might try one

May 28, 2016 at 09:18 PM
jmckayak
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eyecups

I've tried the Hoodman Eyeshield on 2 different cameras. One ripped within 3 weeks, the other ripped after 6 months. They blocked light nicely when they were new. Maybe I'm too rough on the equipment, maybe I got a bad batch. I've returned to the OEM eyecup.

May 29, 2016 at 01:43 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eyecups

I use a Hoodman eye cup in place of rhe OEM. I find it easier to see the black/red AF points. NThe Hoodman eye cup is especially nice for macro shooting.

May 29, 2016 at 03:11 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eyecups

I used a Hoodman in my 7D for 6 years without any durability problems. The plastic did seem a little cheap feeling but it worked fine unlike my stock OEM cups/frames. The release tab tends to break on the OEM ones and the cup falls off in the bush...

May 29, 2016 at 04:05 PM
JVthePT
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eyecups

I could never get used to the Hoodman, just didn't seem to jive with my eye socket or brow. I have the Canon on both of my bodies and I love them.

Edited on Jun 02, 2016 at 11:02 PM · View previous versions

May 29, 2016 at 08:51 PM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eyecups

I've been using the hoodman eyecup on two cameras for a few years now. It does interfere somewhat with the LCD but it's not a problem as you can just tilt the camera or lift the rubber eyecup out of the way. It's more of an annoyance. Another very minor issue is that you may need to rotate it when changing between horizontal and vertical. But for me, these little downsides are worth it because I can see into the viewfinder better which is important and it keeps the camera from being pushed up against my face.

Jun 01, 2016 at 08:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.