Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · First Macro with insects.

jstens

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · First Macro with insects.

This was my first attempt at macro with insects. Edited in LR and pretty much a 100% crop. I deff enjoyed this but you really do need patience with bugs I probably followed this guy for an hour before I got this shot where it was in good position. Let me know what you think as Im still new to photography and would love to hear what you think or could work on thanks.Gear was Canon T5 18-135mm STM, Shot settings F/5.6, 135mm,1/200, iso 250, pop up flash fired.

May 27, 2016 at 03:18 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First Macro with insects.

You gave yourself a difficult start, with an almost black bee on an almost white flower! So a contrasty subject and a harsh light. Not a bad result in the circumstances.

Try f11 next time. Had you moved around to the right the legs would not have blocked the view of the face so much.

Keep trying.

Harold

May 27, 2016 at 03:52 PM
jstens

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First Macro with insects.

Thanks yea I realized after how high an aperture I was working with a bit higher and I would have gotten maybe a better DOF. Thanks for the feedback.

May 27, 2016 at 04:52 PM
John Koerner
• •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First Macro with insects.

I think it's a pretty darned good image, by any account, given the difficulty of black-v-white, doubly-so if this is your first try

I am not sure what time of day you shot, but what I would try to get rid of is that "yellow wash" that plagues many flash shots as well as shots in direct sunlight. (I have taken the liberty to touch-up your image a bit, to show you what I mean:

I removed much of that "yellow wash" I was talking about. You will find many images ruined by the "yellow wash" ... but once you develop an eye for it, you can correct it (1) by choosing the right light, or (2) if you have to use harsh light, then to either a) use a color-checker to balance it out or b) try to remove it in post.

Still, that said, it is a pretty darned good image for a first attempt

Jack

PS: If you want me to delete my version of your photo, let me know and I will.

May 27, 2016 at 06:46 PM
jstens

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First Macro with insects.

That looks way better to me. Hadn't noticed that til you pointed it out and showed an example, it does look more diffused and natural to me thanks for the help. And no need to delete will save it and try to work from it myself on my original thanks.

May 27, 2016 at 06:50 PM
John Koerner
• •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First Macro with insects.

jstens wrote:
That looks way better to me. Hadn't noticed that til you pointed it out and showed an example, it does look more diffused and natural to me thanks for the help. And no need to delete will save it and try to work from it myself on my original thanks.

Sure thing.

I am not sure what software (or monitor) you have, but in photography light is everything.

It's actually a nice shot, composition-and-focus-wise.

In nature, you take the light you're dealt with, if the moment presents itself. And you did a great job really.

Just work on your post-processing and keep an eye out for un-natural light ... tinkering with it in-post until it suits you ... and you will improve your results quite a bit

Jack

May 27, 2016 at 07:15 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First Macro with insects.

Very good start. My only advice would be to stay away from foraging bees for a while. They are one of the hardest subjects to shoot- very rarely stay still.

Brian V.

May 28, 2016 at 12:36 AM
andreloo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · First Macro with insects.

LordV wrote:
Very good start. My only advice would be to stay away from foraging bees for a while. They are one of the hardest subjects to shoot- very rarely stay still.

Brian V.

1+, practice with stationary subjects first !! Andrei

May 28, 2016 at 04:43 AM
orionmystery
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · First Macro with insects.

Very good first attempt!

May 28, 2016 at 08:13 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.