FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Ricketts Glen...Again

Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ricketts Glen...Again

...shot on May 25th My second encounter was much more enjoyable, the weather was perfect, I wore the proper clothing and felt souled wading shoes and began shooting at 4:30 in the afternoon.

Basically, I followed Jim Fox's advice after the Bushkill Falls debacle

I hope you enjoy, thanks for looking

Thank you Jim

© Dragonfire 2016

© Dragonfire 2016

© Dragonfire 2016

© Dragonfire 2016

© Dragonfire 2016

May 26, 2016 at 11:13 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ricketts Glen...Again

Hey Frank,

These are a step ahead from your Bushkill shots. Good job on working on your technique. Much better lighting in these, they don't have that same snapshot feel of your previous ones.

Now a couple more things to focus on in the future... your focus... You will see in several of these that you have leaves that are out of focus, like in #5. I think #5 would be my favorite, but you have those out of focus leaves on the left edge that hurt. Now in a shot like #5, I would just crop off that edge. And perhaps crop off the right side a bit to lose those couple of leaves poking in on the right. Which leads me to another suggestion, always check your edges of your composition. Like in #1, the bottom right corner, what's poking in and breaking up your nice flow of water? Some leaves. So try to compose with corners/edges with items poking into a scene, but if they still do, be sure to crop/clone to remove those distractions.

Also, the other one thing I see in several of these photos is soft leaves from movement of the leaves. Often one of the hardest things about shooting waterfalls is the leaves moving, either from wind, or air movement generated from the waterfall. The solution usually is to shoot the scene at multiple shutter speeds. One with a slow shutter speed for the water. Now you can often try to wait for a moment of calm to shot where the leaves aren't moving. Sometimes that works. But most often what you will want to do is shoot a couple of shots where you have increased the shutter speed to be fast enough to freeze the leaves in place. Then you can while processing, blend out the blurry areas of the slow shutter speed shot with the sharp leaves from the faster shot.

Definitely a step forward from the Bushkill shots. Keep working on it. Waterfalls, for all of their beauty are not easy to photograph, and can be quite challenging in reality.

Jim

May 27, 2016 at 12:43 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ricketts Glen...Again

Thank you Jim,

I often tell photographers " I have learned more on FM than any place else" but they rarely listen.

I appreciate your advise and I will put it into action at Ricketts next April when the water flow is greater, or sooner if possible.

I must admit, I processed the photos my wife said were "pretty" but we all know she has a better eye than me.

Hopefully more soon.

Thank you again.

Frank

My wife said these were OK, but I have never been one to NOT temp fate

Photos willl be posted tomorrow in Ricketts Again, Again

Edited on May 27, 2016 at 05:32 PM · View previous versions

May 27, 2016 at 02:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ricketts Glen...Again

Hey Frank,

These are an 80% improvement over your Bushkill photos. You have the basic idea, you shot when the sun was low or overcast so you can more diffused lighting, that's a huge step. The next step is the smaller details like the focus, moving leaves, and distracting elements poking into a scene.

Your wife is right, these are pretty. But they can be even better...

Jim

PS. You are right, a great thing about FM is how much all of us learn. No matter what our level is as artists, we all hopefully are continuing to learn and grow. At least I know I still am learning things hear. There are always some who feel like they know it all, but what a sad state to be in, when one stops listening to others.

May 27, 2016 at 02:30 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ricketts Glen...Again

Frank,

I am just on my iPhone at the moment, and yes those 2 new ones do look much better, at least on the small screen here. But remember we only allow 5 photos max, so perhaps remove a couple of photos from your original post?

Thanks,

Jim

May 27, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ricketts Glen...Again

More here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1432780

May 28, 2016 at 08:12 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.