New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Last night

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Last night

This is just local stuff and what I can do close to home. The stream is American Fork River, I live in the town of American fork and this is the source of my drinking water. It can be pretty in fall in high water years. I wanted a spring picture with high water and fresh green. This is about 8 miles from home.

The mountain is another 8 miles including 3 miles of pretty steep switch backs. The road was just opened, and they are in the process of expanding the reservoir and the water is very low for spring. The fast stream that is filling it causes ripples all over, last year with more water in the impoundment it could be very calm when the wind was not blowing.

Anyway, the sun was blocked in the west so no color. This was just a scouting trip, Its better at dawn and I will go up again soon before the snow is gone from the mountain.

May 26, 2016 at 11:01 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Last night

Very nice. After months on the East coast, this reminds me of why I wanted to move out West....at least until we had the grandkids and decided not to move. The second image is my favorite.

May 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Last night

+1 @ Jim. I like the cool look of the second as well - very fitting.

I think the first will be much better with nicer light as you mentioned.

With the second I'd look to clone out that bridge/culvert looking deal along the shoreline.

Cheers!

Jeff

May 26, 2016 at 01:20 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Last night

8 miles from your front door.
Damn, I don't know how you handle living in such a nasty place Ben.

1- Perfect SS for the water flow. I know it's a personal choice but for my taste I think you could go even smoother if you wanted. Maybe 2 sec? Excellent aspect ratio used on this with a great comp. Fall colors will make this one sing!

2- Well, what can I say. You suck Ben! What I wouldn't give to have a place like this 8 miles from my house.
I know this was more of just scouting shot but it's still very nice! I'm sure it was a little disappointing that you got robbed from any color but at 8 miles and a few twisties, I'd say you'll just have to drag yourself back to this horrible place until you get the light you want.
Gee, what a bummer huh.
Have you ever played with a ND filter to smooth out the water? Maybe something like a 10 stop and a CPL maybe even?
Hmmm, now that I asked that, I think I remember you telling me you don't like or don't use such filters. Is that correct?

Dave

May 26, 2016 at 03:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Last night

Camperjim wrote:
Very nice. After months on the East coast, this reminds me of why I wanted to move out West....at least until we had the grandkids and decided not to move. The second image is my favorite.

Thanks Jim, I hope to get a sunrise Saturday. I have one from last year that is one of my highest scoring images, but I am pretty sure the water ripples will make it less appealing this year. And who knows what it will look like next year after the improvements?

May 26, 2016 at 03:39 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Last night

beavens wrote:
+1 @ Jim. I like the cool look of the second as well - very fitting.

I think the first will be much better with nicer light as you mentioned.

With the second I'd look to clone out that bridge/culvert looking deal along the shoreline.

Cheers!

Jeff

Well its actually the dam I have just learned to live with it. Thanks for the feedback however, it always helps to hear others preferences.

May 26, 2016 at 03:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Last night

lighthound wrote:
8 miles from your front door.
Damn, I don't know how you handle living in such a nasty place Ben.

1- Perfect SS for the water flow. I know it's a personal choice but for my taste I think you could go even smoother if you wanted. Maybe 2 sec? Excellent aspect ratio used on this with a great comp. Fall colors will make this one sing!

2- Well, what can I say. You suck Ben! What I wouldn't give to have a place like this 8 miles from my house.
I know this was more of just scouting shot
...Show more

Thanks Dave. Yep, I don't use filters much but I do have ND grad gel filters for my 11-24. I usually stop at 30 second exposures and then only for star shots. I have considered doing it for daytime too. My preference for water is 1/5 to 1/10 so I retain some texture. This one is longer and is in fact an experiment with 5 shots blended.

May 26, 2016 at 03:43 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Last night

ben egbert wrote:
This one is longer and is in fact an experiment with 5 shots blended.

Splain this to me Lucy?

So your lake shot is a 5 frame blend? What were you experimenting? I know it wasn't for DR cause you don't need it with that body especially in that light. Was it for the water ripples or something?

I wasn't going to say anything because I thought it might have been my crappy monitor or downsizing artifact but now that you mentioned a blend I thought I should ask.
I'm seeing a very faint glow or color shift right on the top edge of the left cloud. Did you bend up in that area?

Dave

May 26, 2016 at 03:57 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Last night

ben egbert wrote:
Well its actually the dam I have just learned to live with it. Thanks for the feedback however, it always helps to hear others preferences.

Just a nit - I know how you hate those manmade things in your shots.

A simple clone job for sure.

May 26, 2016 at 03:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Last night

lighthound wrote:
Splain this to me Lucy?

So your lake shot is a 5 frame blend? What were you experimenting? I know it wasn't for DR cause you don't need it with that body especially in that light. Was it for the water ripples or something?

I wasn't going to say anything because I thought it might have been my crappy monitor or downsizing artifact but now that you mentioned a blend I thought I should ask.
I'm seeing a very faint glow or color shift right on the top edge of the left cloud. Did you bend up in that area?

Dave

Actually I think the glow is natural. I took a 5 shot bracket, then stack them in Photoshop and do autoalign. Then I do autoblend. It does extend the dr. I could have done the same thing with shadow recovery here, but wanted to try this method. I used it on the stream too. I also did some HDR and got almost the same results. I have not tried a single process yet. Probably be very similar.

May 26, 2016 at 04:04 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Last night

beavens wrote:
Just a nit - I know how you hate those manmade things in your shots.

A simple clone job for sure.

Hmm, doesn't seem simple with that much straight edge so I will have to go try it.

May 26, 2016 at 04:04 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Last night

Hmm, doesn't seem simple with that much straight edge so I will have to go try it.

Now I'm just talking about that little piece.

Here's a quick hackjob (ignore any color shifts!).

May 26, 2016 at 04:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Last night

For Jeff, a clone job.

cloned out dam

May 26, 2016 at 04:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Last night

Here is a single image process with shadows lifted for Dave.

single non blend process

Edited on May 26, 2016 at 04:38 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2016 at 04:37 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Last night

Oh wow, I think we're on different pages - I just mean the tiny lil piece!

But well done on this much larger job!

May 26, 2016 at 04:37 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Last night

beavens wrote:
Oh wow, I think we're on different pages - I just mean the tiny lil piece!

But well done on this much larger job!

Not as hard as it seems, I just grabbed top edge of water and pasted it over the dam. I did not know you meant the sign, I usually do clone it out as well as people and cars.

May 26, 2016 at 04:39 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Last night

ben egbert wrote:
Not as hard as it seems, I just grabbed top edge of water and pasted it over the dam. I did not know you meant the sign, I usually do clone it out as well as people and cars.

I think you mislabeled the second photo with scouting shot. How about show stopper

Steve

May 26, 2016 at 05:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Last night

eeneryma wrote:
I think you mislabeled the second photo with scouting shot. How about show stopper

Steve

Thanks, it is a pretty scene, but you should see it at sunrise with the glow of the sun on the mountain. When I left home, I was not sure the road was open or how bad the construction would be before I got up at 4:30 AM for a sunrise. So in that senses it is a scouting trip.

Maybe I will get lucky my next trip.

May 26, 2016 at 09:12 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Last night

ben egbert wrote:
Here is a single image process with shadows lifted for Dave.

I like the sky color better in this one and the thin glow on the very top edge of the clouds is gone.

But... Look at the difference in the details of wooded mountain on the left. Your blended image looks much better in that regard.

And Wow! Your other edit where to made the entire distant shore line (dam) disappear is amazing! Nice job on that bit of magic.

Looking forward to seeing your morning color version. Hopefully mother nature will smile upon you on your next visit.

Dave

May 27, 2016 at 10:21 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.