Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

Looking for experiences especially people who have worked with high res bodies. I am primarily interested in landscapes from a tripod. Some samples and crops would be appreciated. Does lightroom natively open the files in high res mode?

May 25, 2016 at 03:22 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

Works well on the Pen-F (sorta feel you need one based on your name lol) with static subjects indoors, but I can usually find some artifacts in outdoor scenes. Basically anything that moves, such as water, foliage etc will show some artifacts, just due to the processing time. Probably work pretty well for cityscapes, provided your tripod is solid.

I didn't find it to be a massive difference in all instances over normal res either, better sure, but maybe a glass limitation. The Pen-F states 80meg raw files, but I didn't really see much difference over scenes I shot with the A7rII.

Not end of the world, but no free lunch either.

I'll see if I've got time to post some samples tonight or tomorrow

May 25, 2016 at 04:46 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

Okay thanks, it seems like from Ming Thein's impressions that the actual quality of the files seem to be just below a D810. So more like a 30-34mpx file. So he seems to agree with you about how it compares to real 36mpx cameras.

Curious about other real world experiences.

May 25, 2016 at 05:12 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

Doesn't really get around some of the limitations of a smaller sensor either, does seem to be a bit lower noise, but doesn't have the DR and overall malleability of files from the likes of a A7rII either.

That isn't knocking m4/3 mind you, I quite like the format for lenses like the 75/1.8 I have, which gives me fantastic reach and nice subjection isolation in a very small and fast focusing form factor, but the files can only be pushed so far.

The Hi-Rez gives a bit finer pixel detail, and does reduce some of the grain, but the net result still looks like a higher resolution m4/3 image, and isn't going to have the tonality et al., as a FF high resolution sensor or a MFDB.

Not a bad feature to have though, just one I don't find myself really using that often. In part because I usually don't carry a sturdy tripod when I'm taking m4/3 gear. More of an available light, travel light weight/need fast focus, is what it is, type of camera. Wont really become a serious landscape rig even with higher rez ability

May 25, 2016 at 07:38 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

I had used it just once and I did get a 40mb file out of it. The Hi-Res mode will be signicantly better on the E-M1 Mk II as you will be able to shoot the 8 frames in about 1/60 second.

May 25, 2016 at 09:41 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

Em1 mkII should help a lot, but I'd expect very dynamic scenes, such as those with water may stil have some artifacts. It's just like doing a sweep pano, works well in most cases but something like a wave still can't stitch right.

In some ways, I think the concept is cool but a bit impractical. If one really wants high resolution, there are high resolution options for a reasonable cost than can do it in one shot. Getting a lower resolution body which can output higher resolution with some compromise in some situations, and which cost as much as a a7r et al, doesn't really make a ton of sense.

I used to do stitched pano's when I wanted high Rez, and while it works in many cases, it was far easier getting what I needed in just one frame, with no issues.

Id buy m43 for the strengths of m43 with the occasional high Rez shot, but I don't know if I'd go m43 if my main objective was high resolution files, I think it's still too much compromise.

May 26, 2016 at 07:49 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How well does the E-M5 II High Resolution mode work?

It won't work for everything, but for the most part it will work for landscape, architectural, studio and even macro photography. Like HDR it's not a useless or gimmicky feature.

May 26, 2016 at 08:55 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.