May 25, 2016 at 01:35 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Junk sale

Nexed wrote:
Unique collection of crap. For free!

C&C appreciated.

I like your concept a lot, photographing possessions by the side of the road that people are giving away for free. It's a comment on our materialistic, 'throw away" culture, out with the old and in with the new. Maybe these items are even a remnant of a yard sale, those possessions that no one wanted to buy and eventually they were left for anyone to take. Kind of sad...especially the forlorn plush bear and kangaroo.

I like how you've composed the shot, with the leading lines of the road proceeding to the advancing car in the distance (a potential taker?). I might have come around a little more to the front to better view all the items and the "free" sign, maybe shot from a slightly lower vantage point. But these are small considerations.

I'm not a big fan of the yellowish tint giving it an old fashion look, but that is to taste. In this case I view the theme and message as a current phenomenon.

Steve

May 25, 2016 at 09:37 PM
Nexed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Junk sale

eeneryma wrote:
I like your concept a lot, photographing possessions by the side of the road that people are giving away for free. It's a comment on our materialistic, 'throw away" culture, out with the old and in with the new. Maybe these items are even a remnant of a yard sale, those possessions that no one wanted to buy and eventually they were left for anyone to take. Kind of sad...especially the forlorn plush bear and kangaroo.

Thanks! I too felt sadness. There was a history to these things. But jumbled up together for anyone to pick... there was a sense of abandonment.

I like how you've composed the shot, with the leading lines of the road proceeding to the advancing car in the distance (a potential taker?). I might have come around a little more to the front to better view all the items and the "free" sign, maybe shot from a slightly lower vantage point. But these are small considerations.
There were some people working on the front yard who would have been in the composition if I moved more to the front. More, but keeping it on the side, I think the emphasis ended up being how little wanted these items were. I've seen them all there for 3 days in a row now.

I'm not a big fan of the yellowish tint giving it an old fashion look, but that is to taste. In this case I view the theme and message as a current phenomenon.
Steve

I'll look into cooler toning for the image. Thanks for the detailed critique.

May 26, 2016 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.