Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

RSHPhotography
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Hey guys. Just ran into a situation over the weekend that I never want to experience again.
We've all been there. Tight room, bride wants to do group pic of entire family.
I left my 24-70 behind and I figured my new set of 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and my 70-200 vr2 should handle everything.
At 28mm I couldn't back up any further and I couldn't ask them to squeeze any more. It was a tough shot because they wanted it with grandma's portrait hanging in the background.
If I had my 24-70 I probably could have gotten the shot but now I'm realizing that while this may not have been a critical shot for me it mattered to the bride to have her dead grandma in the group shot.
I didn't have the right lens given then shot they wanted me to take. Period.

So I'm looking at an ultra wide prime or zoom. This is one area that I don't have much experience in. I've always gotten away with my 24-70.

I don't expect to use it too much so I don't want to spend a ton and get a 14-24g or something that expensive. Any suggestions?
I'm shooting full frame with D3S and D700.

May 25, 2016 at 11:25 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Honestly if you can't shoot a group photo at 28mm you should probably either step back or find a different spot. Anything wider is going to distort the people on the edges in a bad way. At 28mm, if there's empty space on the edges, at least that shouldn't happen too much.

Nobody likes to look stretched out.

I never use ultrawide for group photos unless it's to capture the environment around them.

The 14mm Samyang is cheap and does a passable job as an ultrawide. If I was getting a zoom I'd probably get the Nikon 14-24 f/2.8, but last time I bought one of those used it had terrible decentering issues. It was so bad it actually made my eye water looking through the viewfinder (the decentering problem was visible through the viewfinder).

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rokinon+14mm+nikon+focus+confirmation+chip&tbm=shop

The distortion can be largely corrected in LR or other programs.

Edited on May 25, 2016 at 12:02 PM · View previous versions

May 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

form wrote:
Honestly if you can't shoot a group photo at 28mm you should probably either step back or find a different spot. Anything wider is going to distort the people on the edges in a bad way. At 28mm, if there's empty space on the edges, at least that shouldn't happen too much.

Nobody likes to look stretched out.

That was the problem. I couldn't do that because they wanted grandma's portrait in the shot and it was a super tight squeeze. Compositions wise, the shot sucked. I wish I had a wider lens and maybe fix the stretched out look in post if needed. There was room to the side but not behind me or them.

Normally, I do my group shots with the 50 1.8 or my 24-70.

May 25, 2016 at 11:45 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Honestly, I'd have probably gone vertical and tried for a stitched photo. I mean, try to get everyone crammed in there, but then attempt a stitched version as well. Wide angles can work for portraits, but the corners are going to be distorted horrendously.

May 25, 2016 at 12:27 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Since you won't be using it much, try to find a used copy of the 24mm f1.8. Reasonable price, light weight, small, fast AF.

May 25, 2016 at 12:41 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

One of my associates has the 20/1.8 and I encourage him to use it often. It's a great lens.

Personally, I can't imagine shooting a wedding without an ultra-wide zoom. I love them, so.

May 25, 2016 at 12:42 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

In this case, I would've lobbied hard for them to take the photo off the wall and hold it outdoors, all gathered around it.

May 25, 2016 at 12:44 PM
splutzer

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

I keep my 17-35 2.8 around for things like this. It overlaps the 24-70, but comes out when it needs to.

May 25, 2016 at 12:55 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

If you're really looking to slum it, I once owned a Tokina 20-35 f/3.5-4.5. It was not great wide open on a D7100, but stopped down slightly on a D700/D3 it would do alright for occasional stuff like this. Stupid, stupid cheap lens with a pretty solid build. I think I gave <$150 for it used. If you decide you start using it more, you can move up to something classier.

May 25, 2016 at 01:21 PM
azmerm

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

I've been in a similar situation in the bride's getting ready room. I've used the Nikon18-35 and am very pleased with it's sharpness.

May 25, 2016 at 01:29 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

LeeSimms wrote:
In this case, I would've lobbied hard for them to take the photo off the wall and hold it outdoors, all gathered around it.

I didn't want to get shot. No I really mean it. They were considering doing a picture with everyone holding guns.

It looked like it weighed 100 pounds in the frame.

May 25, 2016 at 06:26 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

azmerm wrote:
I've been in a similar situation in the bride's getting ready room. I've used the Nikon18-35 and am very pleased with it's sharpness.

Is this a full frame lens? Keep in mind I shoot FX. A 17mm DX wide is 28mm on FX.
I already have the awesome 28mm 1.8 (p.s: you all need this lens)

May 25, 2016 at 06:29 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Goodness — glad you survived.

May 25, 2016 at 06:32 PM
azmerm

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

The Nikon 18-35 is FX. It's variable 3.5-4.5, but highly rated. On a D750 it works great at high ISO.

My personal experience with the lens has been that it is very sharp for a zoom. On Dxomark It beats the new 24-70 in sharpness, and vignetting, and equal on distortion. It does not have vr, but I haven't needed it at that range.

It's kind of a sleeper at $749. It's lightweight too.

May 25, 2016 at 06:55 PM
GeoLaing
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

I picked up the 20mm f1.8G and it's a solid performer. I don't need that ultra wide too often but it's great when needed. Also captures some cool architectural and outdoor angles.

May 25, 2016 at 08:28 PM
ahaug
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Ok ... I use a 12 - 24 dx lens on my d750. It preforms with no issues in FF mode from 18 - 24. Its a lens that I never sold after my d200 died. I use it on the dance floor to get close to the action. Its not fast glass but its fast auto focus, reliable and the iq is quite good. Don't need a fast lens at 18 anyway. Its cheap and does the job. All that being said, I would love a 20 mm sigma or nikon lens instead. In a tight room for a group portrait, I would take one with my wide zoom and one composite with a narrower prime.

May 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Get a 20mm and call it a day.

May 26, 2016 at 01:03 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

Another vote for the 20mm 1.8 or the 18-35 variable zoom.

May 26, 2016 at 08:32 AM
qburke
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

The Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC is great!

May 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM
eke2k6
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon users, need wide prime/zoom

My 24mm f/2.8D just came in the mail today. It's a great little lens, and fits the bill perfectly for the wide prime I wanted for travel. I usually shoot most of a wedding with the Siggy 35A and the 85 1.8G, with a sprinkling of the 70-200 or 24-70. But last week I realized I could downsize a bit. I sold off the 24-70 and 70-200, and bought the 24mm 2.8 based on reviews stating that it was pretty good when stopped down, and sharp in the center wide open.

I don't plan to shoot that wide very often, but it's a great option. Especially since I lucked up and got it for under $200.

Here's examples of it shot on a D800: https://www.flickr.com/search/?group_id=505180%40N21&view_all=1&text=d800

May 26, 2016 at 05:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.