New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

Good morning Friends,

I'm planning to visit the places in Fall Season Foliage in October. I'm confusing the day to come.
I really appreciated for people to have advice, People recommended to go around Oct 1st (first week of October) and another one told me that you should go around Oct 15 of this year.

Could you please give me the final advice to plan for this trip? This is my first trip in these areas.

thank you
Vic

May 25, 2016 at 10:53 AM
JSecord
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

Tough to say. We had a really, really late year last fall for good foliage. It also depends on where you're hoping to go. Acadia tends to hit peak later in October, northern NH/VT the first week of October is a pretty safe bet, second week is typically good for the white mountains of NH. With different elevations and areas you won't be hitting peak foliage in the same week.

Like I said, last year was pretty terrible IMO, with peak foliage in central NH where I live almost the last week of October, and it was super spotty. Great color in one spot, drive a mile down the road and the trees would be either completely bare, leaves dead, or still green haha. Nobody was getting much for big open vistas with widespread color. After last year I hesitate to tell anyone when to plan a trip...

May 25, 2016 at 11:55 AM
injail
• •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

Thanks JSecord for your advises

May 25, 2016 at 03:15 PM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

I was actually thinking about Fall trip to NH, so I guess second week in October would be safe bet.

May 27, 2016 at 01:43 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

Second week in October will probably be good....somewhere. It could easily be past peak in the north and higher elevations. Coastal NH (which is very small), maybe Monadnock region (SW NH) might be peak then. If I had limited time I would start in the north, higher elevations, first week in October.
These things vary from year to year as does color intensity depending on rain, temp shifts.
BTW, not to diss any NH residents, but I prefer Vermont for scenery/color. Similar dates, no coastal element of course
Scott

May 27, 2016 at 08:34 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

The best lesson I learned from my fall trips is to not plan / lock down dates so early. The peak time of each location varies every year. I would shortlist locations and keep an eye for colors reports to time the trip.

May 31, 2016 at 03:32 PM
sdwphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

Check out Michael Hudson's work on Acadia. He goes every year, usually 2nd and sometimes into 3rd week of October. I had the privilege of going with him once--great trip, beautiful place. Probably the only NP in the country that has everything (fall color, ocean, night sky, lakes, mountains...)

Be sure to get to Bass Harbor Lighthouse too--it's worth the drive. It'll be crowded (we went 2x during the trip and arrived 2-3 hours before sunset each time), but you'll be glad you went.

Jun 01, 2016 at 04:21 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vermont, New Hampshire, New England, & Acadia Trips

What msoomro said. The best colors in one spot last about a week, so planning is tough. 2nd week of October is a decent target.

Also, if you miss the target by a week, you can go slightly north/south or higher/lower elevation to get to the peak colors.

Jun 04, 2016 at 07:57 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.