Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Class A team shooting?

Lee Wiren
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Class A team shooting?

I was looking at the site for my local Class A ball team and don't see any game photo's. I am sure they have somebody shooting these prospects.....

I was thinking about reaching out to them and asking if I could shoot a game... get some kind of permission to do so...

If I get the chance, where do you sit, do they have designated places for photogs usually?

Thanks

May 25, 2016 at 09:28 AM
FaulknersFoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Class A team shooting?

Each stadium may have slightly different rules and regulations. There are some "favorite spots" that you will generally see photographers at, but I typically find it easiest to ask other people who have clearly been there before once I get there. Depending on the stadium, I like to get low behind the batter to shoot the starting pitcher. Then I like to shoot from inside each dugout/photo well to grab some easy slides into each base, left and right handed batters, and a good side shot of the pitcher. If possible, and if you have a really long lens, it can be cool to sit just beyond the outfield fence, but that's rare. I'm sure there are others who can explain more/better as I'm not typically a baseball person and still have a little trouble guessing where the ball is most likely to go so hopefully others will chime in as well!

May 25, 2016 at 09:50 AM
guitardirky
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Class A team shooting?

Most places aren't going to let you just come in and shoot. You need to have a reason to be there and distribute the images. Those players are governed and protected by different rules than high school and little league.

May 25, 2016 at 10:54 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Class A team shooting?

What kind of financial requests will you be asking for your time and expertise?

May 26, 2016 at 04:24 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Class A team shooting?

Call and ask. Most MiLB clubs have a photographer of some sort -- either volunteer or very "lightly" paid.

That said many/most A-AA teams encourage people in the stands to take images as along as it does interfere with other spectators and they are being used for private purposes There are couple nice guys who sit behind home plate at our Game and snap. They do a good job and give shots to the players. Even with a 300MM f/4 or kit lens you can get some good shots during day games. The key is to do no harm.

If you want formal access to the field and camera well -- you'll need to work with team management. You never know. They might need the help.

If they do give you access, start in the camera well and on field during warm-ups. Get your chops. Prove your worth and they will likely let you roam more broadly once you are a proven/low-maintenance guy. Make friends with he Communications guy who will be your client. Be prepared to do more than just shoot action.That's the least of their needs. See active thread on this topic for details,.

May 26, 2016 at 05:37 PM
CycledawgFL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Class A team shooting?

It is definitely a team by team, stadium by stadium situation. For the Threshers, the A+ affiliate of the Phillies, there are no restrictions on cameras or lenses. They play at Brighthouse Field which is the Spring Training location for the Phillies. Regularly shoot at their games with a 70-200 and a 150-600 and have had no issues. That is not the case for all. As others have suggested call and ask.

May 30, 2016 at 08:21 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.