FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · D5 dxo mark results

CanadaMark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D5 dxo mark results

Alan321 wrote:
No, I meant D700/D3. The D700 is basically a D3 in a smaller body. Same sensor, AF system, metering, viewfinder, etc. The D300 necessarily has a different sensor to get the same Mpx into a smaller size but it does have the same AF system.

The D500 is pretty much the new D300 but I want the new D700 that is a full frame D5 in a D700-like body, with no compromise on sensor or AF or metering. 4k video can go if that is what it takes to make it viable as a high-end semi-pro stills camera without a huge
...Show more

I misread what you said, my apologies. You said "it's time" and I thought you said "this time", which changes everything 'It's time' I had my coffee haha, I can't read today.

Most interesting will be what they do to the D810 replacement. Too much resolution, and they pretty much have to offer a lower resolution variant because very few people want, say, 50MP. Stick with what they have now (36 MP all-rounder), and it's going to work for many, but not all, and there is no option for lower resolution with the same "pro" control layout. Personally I hope they don't change the D810 successor's resolution by much, but add all the obvious things (CAM20K, 180K RGB meter, etc.) along with 2-3 more FPS. That still leaves questions above and below it though. Interesting times.

May 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM
Csquare4

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D5 dxo mark results

I have had my D5 for over a month now and I am completely blown away. I upgraded from a D3, so I understand this is more a revolutionary leap than say from a D4/D4S, but I was always happy with the output I was getting. As I also upgraded from the 28-70/2.8 to the 24-70/2.8VR and from the 70-200/2.8VR to the VRII, I am in a new world capability wise...especially in low light shooting.

Autofocus acquisition and accuracy is in another league. Group and 3D is really much more usable. Auto WB accuracy is in another league. ISO performance is in another league. Color rendition is much improved. I have yet to fill the buffer shooting long bursts. Video...well, its there...not that I have used it. XQD is fantastic for uploading to the PC. Cropping, when needed, is much easier to retain high quality. Auto-ISO is much more useable.

Honestly, my only complaint is the relocation of the vertical AF-ON button...it used to be much closer to the horizontal position on the D3, now I find my self searching for it when I go vertical.

Oh...and the extra Fn buttons right under my 3 fingertips. Oh...and the battery life...I shot a concert last weekend and took 1500 shots (NEF+JPEG) and was down only one bar.

I for one, am a very happy camper with the D5. I was planning on keeping my D3 as a backup, but I am not sure I will be thrilled with it now. I haven't picked it up since I received the D5. I hate to lose my companion of so many years, she has served me well...but I am thinking it may be time to let her find a new home.

May 26, 2016 at 12:39 PM
Frode
• •
[X]
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D5 dxo mark results

Agree,

and only had 90% coverage (viewfinder, 95% vertical and 95% horizontal).

Same AF module, but not same AF performance either.

Always some comprimises with the "lower end" products. Of course one always want to believe otherwise when buying one 🙂.

A great camera, though.

AnnJS wrote:

Actually it isn't!

The D700 had a much cheaper internal construction which used a lot of plastic and has a weak top frame which fails under use if heavy flash units are mounted on the shoe.

That is also true of the D800/D810, the Df and the D500 too.

You need to be extremely careful if you mount any of the heavy Super-Tele lenses on those bodies because a single knock can break the lens plate right off the camera. That kind of damage is irreparable.

The D3 and D4 series, and the D5, are built on an internal magnesium chassis:
...Show more

May 26, 2016 at 04:47 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D5 dxo mark results

Nikon D600 destroys all cameras at high ISO !!! What's more - by DxOMark is better than D5 in every aspect as far as Sensor Score...
Is hard the take this site seriously.

May 26, 2016 at 05:00 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D5 dxo mark results

PIOK wrote:
Nikon D600 destroys all cameras at high ISO !!! What's more - by DxOMark is better than D5 in every aspect as far as Sensor Score...
Is hard the take this site seriously.

They aren't wrong necessarily, they just have a very specific method that doesn't jive with a lot of other tests that we see. Bill Claff does a better job with ISO measurement and his site is linked above.

DXO's graphs are more useful than the outright scores usually. Their DR (Landscape) numbers are pretty consistent for example, but the "Sports" score is probably the one with the least weight.

May 26, 2016 at 05:09 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D5 dxo mark results

You need to be extremely careful if you mount any of the heavy Super-Tele lenses on those bodies because a single knock can break the lens plate right off the camera. That kind of damage is irreparable.

The D3 and D4 series, and the D5, are built on an internal magnesium chassis: very different cameras but, unfortunately, at very different prices too.

Actually that's not entirely true. The D800 impact issue that bent the frame and made the camera irreparable resulted in the breakaway plates that were designed to allow the newer cameras to be repaired rather than scrapped.

May 26, 2016 at 05:15 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D5 dxo mark results

A photograph has already been posted showing the lens-mounting plate of a D500 which has torn off the plastic mirror-box component of the camera.

To check on the difference in construction between the D500 and the D5, just unscrew one of the screws that hold the lens-mount plates to the camera body.

The D5 has machined screw-threads which screw into a metal chassis;
but the D500 uses self-tapping screws which drive into the plastic frame — and which can tear right out again under pressure.

Just something to be aware of.

May 26, 2016 at 08:53 PM
architect7
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D5 dxo mark results

I stopped taking DxO seriously after they decided to stop reviewing most telephoto lenses in ~2013. I guess they decided to invest that $$$ in their flopped iPhone camera instead?

May 27, 2016 at 03:46 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.