• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Green reflection

May 25, 2016 at 06:49 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Green reflection

When I look at a photo, my eyes are attracted to light. So in this photo, after seeing the green umbrella, my eyes roam up to the sunlit bricks... then the skies... meander around a bit and then I remember the caption talks about a reflection so I look for it and find it in the shadow-darkened window.

Why not go with a non-traditional crop, and crop just under the sunlit brick up top, and again over on our left. The viewer will see the umbrella, then go straight to the reflection. To me, once you've done that, the image is all about the umbrella and its reflection, and that's pretty cool.

May 25, 2016 at 08:54 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Green reflection

Hey Ron,

I think that the green in the tree top left is very important to image and if it weren't there I probably wouldn't have pushed the shutter. That is the tip of a triangle. The base is formed by green in the umbrella and the green umbrella in the reflection. I also like the fact the reflection isn't obvious. A lot of my work is like that. I prefer to make images in which the viewer needs to look at the image and look in the shadows and backgrounds sometimes to see what the image is about. So if your eye dances around the image, for me, thats a good thing and fits with the way I see and work.

Thats my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.

Allen

May 25, 2016 at 09:21 AM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Green reflection

Friscoron makes some very good points.

May 28, 2016 at 12:09 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Green reflection

Yes he does and that might be the way he would shoot it and that absolutely fine but there is never one way to see or photograph and this is the way I saw it and it fits with the way I see and work. One of my favorite quotes by one of my favorite photographers.

"......so called “composition” becomes a personal thing, to be developed along with technique, as a personal way of seeing." - Edward Weston

May 28, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Green reflection

I agree 100% with Ron ... and I would add that if the woman were looking toward her reflection, it would be more relevant. As for the tree in the upper left corner being part of a triangle that has any relevance ... sometimes we see things that aren't there ... it falls in the same category as seeing things in tea leaves.

May 28, 2016 at 01:16 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Green reflection

Well Andre I saw it and it is clearly there. I don't want to make photographs like everyone else. I see in triangles so they are relevant to me and the way I work.

May 28, 2016 at 02:04 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Green reflection

airfrogusmc - Perhaps you should state that you do not want any critique.

May 29, 2016 at 09:27 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Green reflection

In real critiques (face to face) there is discussion and if you can't defend your work in a credible and intelligent way then you will not survive in the art world or as a professional. Finding your own way is what this should all be about. This photo is not about the woman but the subject is green.

I think finding our own way is key. Ron stated the way he would do it and I like Ron and his work but that doesn't mean I want to photograph like Ron. Rons way is right for Ron but definitely not right for me. So if I disagree with a comment why shouldn't I state that?

I wanted to add that conversations about images creates a learning experience. To many times other dictate their vision instead of excepting things can still be valid even if they are different. And example would be send 5 really talented photographers out to shoot the same theme or subject and if they are are truly creative and all have their own vision you should get 5 completely different interpretations. Just like if you give 5 really talented photographers the same B&W image to process you will probably get 5 different interpretations. That's why I always believe it is so important to print your own. No one but the photographer that shot it knows exactly what the final should look like.

Most forums are always thinking in terms of single images. I and many like me are thinking in terms of bodies of work. What's more important than the single piece to the puzzle is the overall body of work and how each piece fits into that.

Also just because I posted the intent doesn't mean I didn't want feedback. It just means that I had a very specific reason for what i did. Now whether one agrees with it or not is fine and should be discussed.

Sometimes it's better if your work isn't loved by everyone. If it is sometimes that means you are really playing it safe. Safe or creating by committee is suicide to real creativity.

I'm not saying Ron is wrong for Ron or that his crit was not correct for the way he would do it. And in all fairness here is another image from the series or body of work. This to is about color and I think the two images work together and show how I see when I work with color. And it is another triangular composition.

Again my 2 cents so take it for what it's worth but I do think theres far to little dialog about content and intent.

May 29, 2016 at 09:34 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.