Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

jeremy_clay wrote:
Seems then scooping up a system to try out used would be easy peasy.

True. For a body. But then it comes back to the lens lottery.

And if you're experiencing issues with focus or sharpness, is it the body? is it the lens? is it the adapter? is it your method?

Having said that, I think the A7RII is going to be a great used purchase in a year or two when you can buy them for sub $1k

May 24, 2016 at 01:42 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

I've recently switched from Canon to Sony. I used to shoot with a pair of 5D3's and lots of fast L glass. My past three weddings have been shot only with an A7RII and an A7SII. I have the Zeiss 25mm and 85mm and the Sony/Zeiss 55mm. Those lenses are so good paired with those bodies. Because their system isn't complete I do still use my Canon 11-24L, 135L and 200f2LIS with a Metabones adapter.

The files from both cameras are excellent. Lots of info to work with with both.

Battery life isn't that bad. Last Saturday between the two cameras I used 4 batteries. Between shots I do turn off the cameras. Flipping them on as I put them up to shoot the camera is ready by the time it gets to my eye.

Once you understand the menus system it's not that bad. And I rarely use the menus as I've set up my custom buttons to pretty much not need to go into the menu.

The only downside I've found is the continuous shooting as I use that during the processional and recessional. I sometimes get a few missed shots but nothing that would kill the coverage.

Here's a link to last Saturday's wedding: http://www.kgcweddings.com/recent-weddings/alex-pat-may-21st-2016

May 24, 2016 at 03:17 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

ZachOly wrote:
True. For a body. But then it comes back to the lens lottery.

And if you're experiencing issues with focus or sharpness, is it the body? is it the lens? is it the adapter? is it your method?

Having said that, I think the A7RII is going to be a great used purchase in a year or two when you can buy them for sub $1k

I can't say as I use manual focus more often then not - I find it's just such a joy to use I can't help myself. Especially with the 24-70L II (though that lense AF's amazing on the SOny) and the 135L (less so amazing adapter AF). Plus having a 135L IS is tiptop awesome.

May 24, 2016 at 03:45 PM
mulder32
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

Ken_Cravillion wrote:
I've recently switched from Canon to Sony. I used to shoot with a pair of 5D3's and lots of fast L glass. My past three weddings have been shot only with an A7RII and an A7SII. I have the Zeiss 25mm and 85mm and the Sony/Zeiss 55mm. Those lenses are so good paired with those bodies. Because their system isn't complete I do still use my Canon 11-24L, 135L and 200f2LIS with a Metabones adapter.

The files from both cameras are excellent. Lots of info to work with with both.

Battery life isn't that bad. Last Saturday between the two
...Show more

Killer work--thanks for the link. What are you using for flash with those Sony bodies?

May 24, 2016 at 04:01 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

mulder32 wrote:
Killer work--thanks for the link. What are you using for flash with those Sony bodies?

Thank you! I use all OCF with a mix of Einsteins and Alien Bees using their Cybercyncs.

May 24, 2016 at 04:19 PM
mulder32
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

Ken_Cravillion wrote:
Thank you! I use all OCF with a mix of Einsteins and Alien Bees using their Cybercyncs.

Ah, OK--I was thinking more of what's in the hotshoe. I have OCF covered by my Yongnuos. I'm going to try the Godox with my Canon first to see how I like it, and if it's decent will get the Sony version.

May 24, 2016 at 04:34 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

mulder32 wrote:
Ah, OK--I was thinking more of what's in the hotshoe. I have OCF covered by my Yongnuos. I'm going to try the Godox with my Canon first to see how I like it, and if it's decent will get the Sony version.

I haven't used a flash in a hotshoe in 2-3 years. All that's ever in there are Pocket Wizards or PCB Cybersyncs.

May 24, 2016 at 04:39 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

I have shot many weddings with the Sony system, mostly A7s and the 55 and 28.

Really, I tried hard to get it to work for me, but the AF failed for me. Especially when it gets darker even the A7s does not lock on as fast as the D750. I tried the A7rII for a day and when its dark it is not faster in AF then the A7s.

It totally depends on your style, but for me the AF is too slow, I simply miss too many moneys or canīt be as adventurous in my compositions as I like because the AF is too slow for me.

Overall I like the EVF but when itīs sunny the high contrast of the EVF makes it hard to see the scene and even harder to evaluate the exposure.

heiko

May 25, 2016 at 02:09 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

heikoM wrote:
Overall I like the EVF but when itīs sunny the high contrast of the EVF makes it hard to see the scene and even harder to evaluate the exposure.

My dream camera would have false colour mode like video monitors for setting exposure. Does it at least let you show the histogram in the viewfinder? The X100 had this and it was great.

May 25, 2016 at 05:01 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Are Sony mirrorless viable wedding cameras?

Mark_L wrote:
My dream camera would have false colour mode like video monitors for setting exposure. Does it at least let you show the histogram in the viewfinder? The X100 had this and it was great.

Yes, optional histogram. You also can activate zebra, which I very seldom use when preserved highlights are critical.

heiko

May 25, 2016 at 05:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.