New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photo Ninja and cpu usage

SnapperHed

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo Ninja and cpu usage

Using photo ninja on the two week trial currently, I like the results but find takes a ton of processing power to make even moderate adjustments (mostly during noise reduction) that crank up the fan on my laptop (2015 macbook pro i7 16gb ram) which never happens when using Lr or Ps or even dxo pro, except when outputting a prime nr file the fan may comes on at a low setting, where as with photo ninja it sounds like my laptop is about to launch off my desk. Wondering if anyone else has this issue, or if maybe I'm doing something wrong, settings, etc.? Should I be worried about it?

May 23, 2016 at 12:54 PM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo Ninja and cpu usage

I think what you're seeing is normal; I never hear my fans until I invoke PN's noise reduction. FWIW, a new, complete rewrite of PN has been promised for *ages* and has yet to materialize. I have come to believe that it's never going to happen. As good as PN is, I think it will eventually be abandoned.

May 23, 2016 at 06:26 PM
SnapperHed

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo Ninja and cpu usage

Well that's unfortunate, I've uninstalled it, cpu usage was off the charts on my machine, but I found the output quality superb, especially the colors. FWIW it was a very recent version having just been updated within the last few months but I don't think it was a total rewrite from what I seen when I last tried it in 2015.

May 25, 2016 at 01:46 PM
robgo2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo Ninja and cpu usage

Ho1972 wrote:
I think what you're seeing is normal; I never hear my fans until I invoke PN's noise reduction. FWIW, a new, complete rewrite of PN has been promised for *ages* and has yet to materialize. I have come to believe that it's never going to happen. As good as PN is, I think it will eventually be abandoned.

At least they are still issuing updates of PN v1. That tells you that the company is alive. In my opinion, PN remains the best raw converter around. I recently corresponded with founder Jim Christian who assured me that he is busy developing v2 but could not provide an anticipated release date. Even if it never comes, I will continue using v1 until something better comes along.

Rob

Sep 29, 2016 at 09:33 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.