Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2016 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

dtolios wrote:
I am glad it works for your purposes, but I don't think your example is indicative of the vignetting / color shift issues at the edges. The lens does fine for its extreme FL, age, and of course size which is minute.

All in all, its a niche lens, but doesn't have the performance to be quoted as a "benchmark-small-yet-great-lens" to school others on how WA needs to be done...technically it just falls short. Yes, you can do great stuff with it, much with any other lens really - especially if you don't mind the vignetting / color casts and
...Show more

So, from what the review you cite says, it doesn't sound like an ideal answer for the specific purpose mentioned in this thread — use on a possible Canon mirrorless camera — right?

Take care,

Dan

May 25, 2016 at 04:50 PM
dtolios
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

gdanmitchell wrote:
So, from what the review you cite says, it sounds like it might not be an idea answer for the specific purpose mentioned in this thread, right?

The "almost vicious cycle" started with me - among others - stating that WA/UWA lenses are big and bulky, which ends up beating the whole "make the camera body super small" arguements as the ready-to-shoot camera+lens combo ends up being bulky regardless.

The CV 12mm f/5.6 was offered as an example of a compact FF capable UWA lens.

I don't know what the ideal lens for a Canon FF mirror-less camera would be, but I don't think that would be found in an adapted, MF/MA extreme WA, no. You should ask those that brought up the lens and apparently have different opinions.

May 25, 2016 at 05:22 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

dtolios wrote:
The "almost vicious cycle" started with me - among others - stating that WA/UWA lenses are big and bulky, which ends up beating the whole "make the camera body super small" arguements as the ready-to-shoot camera+lens combo ends up being bulky regardless.

The CV 12mm f/5.6 was offered as an example of a compact FF capable UWA lens.

I don't know what the ideal lens for a Canon FF mirror-less camera would be, but I don't think that would be found in an adapted, MF/MA extreme WA, no. You should ask those that brought up the lens and apparently have
...Show more

Being able to use very small lenses can be an advantage of the smaller mirrorless cameras. Such a camera equipped with a small lens feels a lot different than even a small DSLR. Unfortunately in most (but not quite all) of the cases, the really small lenses tend to be manual focus lenses. Some are just fine with that but others are not. For example, I much prefer to do street photograph with a small camera, somewhat small lenses, and autofocus capability.

It is possible to make some pretty small and pretty good AF lenses. Canon makes (as do others) some nice little "pancake" lenses in a small range of focal lengths. Fujifilm is making a few small lenses for their system, albeit in 1.5x crop factor format.

For the most part it seems somewhat fair to say that if you are using a full frame mirrorless camera at this point you are probably either giving up small size (mostly) to get full functionality including AF or you are giving up features like AF to get small size.

Dan

Edited on May 26, 2016 at 07:35 AM · View previous versions

May 25, 2016 at 07:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

RDKirk wrote:
Maybe this has already been discussed, but some time ago a Canon Japan exec commented, essentially, that Canon would do a professional mirrorless camera when they had the ability to do it "right."

What does anyone think that would look like compared to what other manufacturers are already doing? I realize nobody here is a mind reader, but what might be "wrong" with what other camera manufacturers are doing, and what might Canon be waiting to do "right?"

Going back to the past for an example of just that kind of thing: Autofocusing. Minolta came out with reliable autofocusing first, but theirs
...Show more

Hopefully a 1DX II that's been to Jenny Craig. Imagine mirrorless 1DX II that was 40% lighter, much more svelte, but otherwise had same performance and responsiveness. I don't want no tiny little mirrorless camera that makes using larger fast glass a PITA

May 26, 2016 at 12:25 AM

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Hopefully a 1DX II that's been to Jenny Craig. Imagine mirrorless 1DX II that was 40% lighter, much more svelte, but otherwise had same performance and responsiveness. I don't want no tiny little mirrorless camera that makes using larger fast glass a PITA

The description reminds me of the (sadly discontinued) Samsung NX1.

May 26, 2016 at 07:05 AM
swldstn
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

I'm thinking something like the new Sigma SD Quatro H as a nice size. It would then be able to take existing EF lenses. Its smaller than a 5DIII but not tiny and I think it could take a FF sensor. Personally I think those have a pretty smart design that allows them to use regular FF lenses. Sure the extent the flange of the camera to be the same as the mirror box but lets be honest. No Canon user wants to buy new lenses.

So I would recommend they improve the EOS-M for small and introduce the EOS-MF for full frame. JMHO

May 26, 2016 at 10:06 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

I think I understand now what Canon needs to produce. It must be a big camera like the 1-series bodies that is small like Sony and Fujifilm bodies. It must be a professional camera with all the features and functionality of those 1-series bodies, and the cost must be in the $1000 range. It should come with a newly designed lens system that takes advantage of the potential of a smaller and lighter approach (that is also big and heavy), and the system must be complete at the time of launch... and all existing EF and EFS lenses should work well on it without adapters. It should take advantage of the potential for shorter flange distance while not changing the flange distance. It should have all the features of the Sony, Fujifilm, Olympus et al cameras but it must be a distinct and unique camera that doesn't just provide what other cameras provide. It should be based primarily around small, manual focus primes... or maybe large AF zooms. It should have all of the speed advantages of DSLRs and no disadvantages compared to them whatsoever — in fact it must be better than them in all ways. It should be a purely mirrorless design and it should include the DSLR mirror mechanism. It should be focused on sports and wildlife photographers needs and also on landscape and studio photographers. It must have the very best dynamic range, the lowest noise, the highest ISO, focus in darkness (and fast!), 4k (heck, 6k!) video, work with all other brands of lenses, equal MF digital for image quality...

Direct print button not required.

It should be announced next week.

And available at the time of launch.

Did I mention that it should be cheap?

;-)

Edited on May 26, 2016 at 08:00 PM · View previous versions

May 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM
macentropist
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

gdanmitchell wrote:
It should be announced next week.

And available at the time of launch.

Did I mention that it should be cheap?

;-)

I want some of what Dan is smoking!

May 26, 2016 at 10:27 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · What would a pro Canon mirrorless look like?

Object recognition & sticky shallows dof tracking AF/AE for all position(s) on imaging sensor, precise MF features, lower noise floor and uncompromised DR @ widest iso range plus best video throughput at reasonable cost to most consumer are more important parameters than how pro their mirror less bodies will look like. This MILC market is not the same like many in DSLR years. There are too many great cross platform contenders out there, imo. Beside all of those competency challenges, I don't know how canikon can get by their ff mirror less prototype without hurting their DSLR program.

May 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.