Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Waterfalls on Big Run

dsjtecserv
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Waterfalls on Big Run

In late April I spent nearly a full day poking around and photographing a series of waterfalls on Big Run, which plunges off a mountain top to the Blackwater River in West Virginia. It had rained off and on most of the previous day and night, so the flow was good without being overwhelming and turbid. It remained cloudy for most of the day and provided nearly ideal lighting conditions. The brief-blooming serviceberries were even at their peak! Here are some samples from the day.

http://www.pbase.com/dsjtecserv/image/163129782/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dsjtecserv/image/163215260/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dsjtecserv/image/163253046/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dsjtecserv/image/163267624/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/dsjtecserv/image/163274344/original.jpg

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Dave

May 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM
quickking
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Nice set David. I have never seen the serviceberries in bloom; they really add to the scene. I'm happy you were able to incorporate them...Kevin

May 22, 2016 at 12:56 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Waterfalls on Big Run

All are beautiful, but the last is spectacular. I've been to the state park, but don't recall Big Run. sorry I missed it.

May 22, 2016 at 01:11 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Hey Dave,

#5 is my favorite. I think that wide shot just really balances well and puts the whole scene into perspective. In #1, 2 and 3 I think a 4:5 crop losing the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 in each would strengthen them all. The tops in each of those 3 look great, but in the bottom the visual flow just stops.

Jim

May 22, 2016 at 01:16 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Thanks, Kevin, Stan and Jim. Kevin, you know that it was your wonderful pictures (and location information) that got me to Big Run in the first place? I really appreciate it!

Stan, Big Run is on the other side of the Blackwater River, and a bit downstream, from the state park. It is accessed from US 219 between Thomas and Parsons, down a fairly rough dirt road. It is worth the side trip if you are in the area again.

Jim, I have mixed feelings about your cropping advice. I think #1 could probably lose a bit of the foreground rock, and same with #3, though I'd be reluctant to go as far as you visualize. In #2 I just like that foreground riffle, and I'd want to keep it. But I'll go back and experiment. For the last panorama, I had to stand on a mossy boulder 10 feet above the pool, with my tripod legs almost together in a narrow space between the edge and a tree, holding a rhodo branch out of the way with my neck. I'm glad you like it!

Dave

May 22, 2016 at 02:22 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Very nice series! I particularly like the first two the best! My mother grew up about five miles from Blackwater and I spent a fair amount of time there when I was a kid. Brings back some memories.

Thanks.

Ryan

May 22, 2016 at 03:53 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Neat set, Dave. I like the bigger feel of the last 2. The "Sarvis" berries in the last make it my pick. I like the 1st but agree that a bit more crop off the bottom might be worth a try.

May 22, 2016 at 04:31 PM
TimMc

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Dave

Thanks for sharing and for the directions. It's going on the list to do.

Tim

May 22, 2016 at 04:49 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Waterfalls on Big Run

First and last for me. Like the balanced comp of the 1st and the way the vegetation frames the scene in the last (and 4th) pic - not to mention the flowers are icing on the cake. You did a good job showcasing this falls in what looks like a place with a lot of dense vegetation.
Dave

May 22, 2016 at 06:18 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Thanks, Ryan, psharvic, Tim and Dave. Like most streams in the Alleghenys (and the Appalachians in general) this one is protected by dense thickets of rhododendron. Combined with the steep and rocky hillside, getting to some falls can be a battle. In this case there is a well-established path to the upper falls but one has to find a faint (though partially flagged) track to the lower falls, and do some minor scrambling in the process. By my mind that makes the resulting pictures all the more rewarding.

Dave

May 23, 2016 at 07:58 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Waterfalls on Big Run

My favorite is clearly #5. A fantastic image, especially the combination of nice flowers/trees and a beautiful waterfall.

May 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Nice set!
Despite all the very nice ones, prior to it, I also like the last one as it really encompasses the flowers and the water fall even though there is no flowing watering coming towards me.
The flowers make a great addition.

David

May 23, 2016 at 01:15 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Nice set!
Despite all the very nice ones, prior to it, I also like the last one as it really encompasses the flowers and the water fall even though there is no flowing watering coming towards me.
The flowers make a great addition.

David

May 23, 2016 at 01:15 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Thanks Dave. Yes indeed I was very lucky to catch the serviceberries. The rhododendrons will bloom later and probably put on an even better show, but there isn't likely to be as much water toward the summer.

Dave

May 24, 2016 at 08:55 AM
dixilla

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Hello!

Love the photos. I am a total noob and was wondering what shutter speed you used to capture the blurred motion effect of the water.

Thanks!

May 26, 2016 at 09:33 AM
triggermike
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Waterfalls on Big Run

I think the outflow of #1 and #2 really adds to those shots and would not crop them off at all!

May 26, 2016 at 10:09 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Thanks, dixilla and Mike. For most waterfall shots I shoot for a shutter speed between about .2 (1/5) sec and 0.6 sec. For most of these I believe that 0.3 was the sweet spot. For the first one, though, I needed as long a shutter time as possible to let the slow-flowing water and foam create the smooth blur. Given the lighting conditions (and being too lazy to get out an ND filter), I think i was able to make it work at 3.2 seconds at f/22 and ISO 50. To go any longer I would have needed the ND.

Dave

May 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Dave
I saw a few of these on FB and there all pretty nice #4 had been my recent favorite until I saw #5 but #5 is really sweet ! I think you got everything right in this one, Comp (another one of your trademark big scene panos ), SS for the water flow and and great front to back detail. Regards,
Dean

May 26, 2016 at 02:31 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Thanks, Dean. This waterfall complex provided a great many opportunities and I had a great time just exploring it for a better part of a day. Finding that "grand scene" at the bottom of the third drop just kind of capped it off. Reminded me of why I'm a landscape photographer!

Dave

May 27, 2016 at 07:21 AM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Waterfalls on Big Run

Beautiful photos Dave. I think the first one is my favorite! Nice work.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:07 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.