FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

RikWriter
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Scott Stoness wrote:
I like 11 and last best but I would like them better if they were cropped and processed to bring out the bear fur a bit better but excellent.

Maybe I'm just not good enough a computer whiz with Photoshop, but I couldn't bring out the bear fur any more than that without making it too noisy. Sometimes the light isn't perfect and you just have to live with it.

May 23, 2016 at 09:51 PM
wetzeln

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Wow... what a moment to be present for! Love the facial expressions of the wolf.

May 24, 2016 at 11:22 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

I would love to able to witness such a cool moment like that. How far were you from the action? Did you have to constantly look over your shoulder to make sure there is not another bear or wolf behind you?

May 24, 2016 at 05:14 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

ShutteredMe wrote:
I would love to able to witness such a cool moment like that. How far were you from the action? Did you have to constantly look over your shoulder to make sure there is not another bear or wolf behind you?

I was around 150-175 yards away, I think. And no, I wasn't worried about anything sneaking up on me. There was a road about 30 yards behind me and the cars and people on it kept wolves or bears from coming that way.

May 24, 2016 at 05:32 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

RikWriter wrote:
The bear was young and not very confident, so it let itself be chased away by the wolf several times. Then, for a while, they shared the carcass until the wolf got impatient and tried to chase the bear away again. At that point, the bear realized "Hey, I'm a grizzly, I can do what I want" and wouldn't be chased away. The wolf gave up and left.

What an absolutely amazing moment you captured Rick. You were there the very moment that young grizzly learned one of his most important life lessons. He will carry himself differently for the rest of his life after that and you were there and captured it.

I honestly do not think it gets any better than that. What I wouldn't give to have been in your shoes that day.
Hell, make that your shoes for the entire 2 weeks!

Although my shots would have had way too much motion blur from camera shake. I'd be beside myself from excitement.

Very nice work Rick!

Voted!

Dave

May 25, 2016 at 12:55 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Thanks Dave! I was pretty excited myself, but a tripod helps with the shakes!

May 25, 2016 at 02:35 PM
CDalessandro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

WOW! I would have been so nervous watching this that I don't think I'd get an in focus shot. What a gift...Well done!!

Carolyn

May 25, 2016 at 02:48 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

CDalessandro wrote:
WOW! I would have been so nervous watching this that I don't think I'd get an in focus shot. What a gift...Well done!!

Carolyn

It was the first opportunity I've had in 14 visits to have a wolf and a grizzly in the same frame! I was pretty excited.

May 30, 2016 at 06:18 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Very nicely captured, terrific job.

May 31, 2016 at 10:34 PM
TerrenceJackson

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

I spent ten years working in Yellowstone and only saw an encounter like this twice! This is a very special set of images good sir, so well done! What a great moment to have witnessed!

May 31, 2016 at 11:28 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

TerrenceJackson wrote:
I spent ten years working in Yellowstone and only saw an encounter like this twice! This is a very special set of images good sir, so well done! What a great moment to have witnessed!

Thanks! I just missed out on a confrontation like this but even bigger back in 2010 at Blacktail Ponds. There were 2 grizz and 6 wolves facing off over a couple unfrozen bison carcasses the evening of the day I had to leave for the airport. Friend of mine got a shot of a grizz tossing a wolf through the air by its hind leg. It was like 9PM, so the shot was at some insanely high ISO and had a lot of noise, but I would have killed to have been there for it. Least I could have taken video...

Jun 01, 2016 at 06:24 AM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Great looking series...must've been wonderful to watch.

Jun 01, 2016 at 01:10 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Encounter of a lifetime! Well captured.

Alan

Jun 01, 2016 at 07:25 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

That is an unforgettable memory for you. Well shown, esp. the confrontation shots.
Don

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:20 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

What a great series! Two beasts that I have never seen. Cool stuff..

Jun 01, 2016 at 11:53 PM
wonderer
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Incredible sequence! Fantastic timing and so glad you captured the encounter as you did.

I'm also glad to be late to the party on this one since the story unfolds as you answered everyone's question. That info adds to the intrigue and context to the story.

Congratulations and thanks for posting!

--Kim

Jun 05, 2016 at 08:59 PM
RikWriter
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Wolf vs Grizzly Confrontation

Thanks guys. It was worth spending the whole day there to get!

Jun 06, 2016 at 05:54 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.